Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Farmers Wife week 4 Blocks 7&8 photos >

Farmers Wife week 4 Blocks 7&8 photos

Farmers Wife week 4 Blocks 7&8 photos

Old 11-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

Never thought of a residue problem. The sticks work okay on fabric and are washable.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Never thought of a residue problem. The sticks work okay on fabric and are washable.

I'm not saying to not do it ... I just wondered!
I don't wash the finished product, so thus why I was thinking about that.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:10 AM

Thanks. A little trick I picked up while doing the baskets and the its templates was to place a dab of washable stick glue (ie Elmer's) on the template before cutting out the fabric piece. Then I topped the template with a small ruler to cut the straight edges. Worked great as the template stayed put and there was no pin in the paper or fabric creating a hump and distorting your finished fabric cut.
Since I used my templates more than once, I put a piece of double-faced tape on the back, which kept the template in place until I finished cutting and was ready to go for the next time it was needed. I kept the "taped" templates on plastic sheet protectors so they wouldn't stick to each other.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:45 AM

I haven't checked these threads in awhile and just wanted to say Hi to those still traveling this road! Honchey
Old 11-12-2011, 02:16 PM

Great tips oksewglad and QuiltE for when we all start the Pony Club Quilt! I'm really enjoying seeing your great blocks!
Old 11-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
Great tips oksewglad and QuiltE for when we all start the Pony Club Quilt! I'm really enjoying seeing your great blocks!
I haven't made the step into template-land yet! I'm really starting to like PPing ..... and to think a year ago I said no-way-jose to PPing! And with that one basket made my applique debut!!! PC just might become a PP totally project for me. Right now for FWS, I'm hit and miss on PP and traditional piecing.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
I haven't made the step into template-land yet! I'm really starting to like PPing ..... and to think a year ago I said no-way-jose to PPing! And with that one basket made my applique debut!!! PC just might become a PP totally project for me. Right now for FWS, I'm hit and miss on PP and traditional piecing.
I had never done any PPing either until this past year with FWS and Stars BOM. I used mainly the templates for the FWS Quilt, and will probably do so for the PC as well. I kind of like the procedure of using the templates, and the blocks come out really accurate that way as well.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
I had never done any PPing either until this past year with FWS and Stars BOM. I used mainly the templates for the FWS Quilt, and will probably do so for the PC as well. I kind of like the procedure of using the templates, and the blocks come out really accurate that way as well.
You sure wouldn't waste as much fabric with templates as with PPing! And none of that pick pick pick of PPing!
Old 11-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for stopping back Honchey! On the subject of PP. I tired again to PP. I used a nice paper that tore easily, shortened my stitch, folded the paper and trimmed the seam before I stitched. Did fine with the stitching et all, but when it came to ripping that paper off I swore. All those bits of paper are still on the floor and though I am far from being a neat freak was so unhappy with taking the time to tear off the backs, etc. After another go at PP, I have now come to the conclusion that PP and I are not made for each other. And I know there are folks out there who love it. I will go back to cutting my itty bitty pieces and my 1/4" seam allowance for my itty bitties!
Thanks for listening to me roar!
Old 11-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for stopping back Honchey! On the subject of PP. I tired again to PP. I used a nice paper that tore easily, shortened my stitch, folded the paper and trimmed the seam before I stitched. Did fine with the stitching et all, but when it came to ripping that paper off I swore. All those bits of paper are still on the floor and though I am far from being a neat freak was so unhappy with taking the time to tear off the backs, etc. After another go at PP, I have now come to the conclusion that PP and I are not made for each other. And I know there are folks out there who love it. I will go back to cutting my itty bitty pieces and my 1/4" seam allowance for my itty bitties!
Thanks for listening to me roar!
*pat**pat**pat**pat*
Patience my dear Little OK!!!
That's exactly what I thought of all that ripping and tearing for a long time .... then ... things changed!!!
I'm just using regular printer paper. I've shortened my stitches as short as they will go. I find by the time I fold it back to trip the seams it sometimes is falling off that I have to use some painters tape to hold it together til I'm done the rest of the seams. I take off the fold back part of a seam, before I do another seam over it. Otherwise, I leave the rest of the paper on til I have the block finished.

The old persistence has paid off ... and I'm starting to really like PPing. And oh ... I find it's kind of the no-mind way of piecing a block .... kind of like paint by numbers and dot to dot pictures, both of which I loved as a kid!