Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: THE FW PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Week 6 Broken Heart & Boy's Playmate Photo Page

Wow you guys got an early start! Great work everyone! Mine are in progress, should be finished today, I hope.

OK try number twiName:  Boy's playmate.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  106.6 KBName:  Broken hearts.JPG
Views: 420
Size:  89.0 KB Finally, it worked!! Boy's playmate is deciated to GIL who was a cowboy riding from Montana to Texas horseback to sell "ponies" among other things like winning a silver mounted saddle for bronc riding at Cheyenne, Wymoing. Spotted horses belonged to brother, opposite side is an Irish thorughbred raised in Ireland, raced in England, and was owned by SIL. Broken hearts has a bleeding heart center...one of many that has bloomed here on the home front.

OK, quilt police, the points do not match up on the first; may re-make later. Whatever. Background takes over; not a good background piece. Looks like a batch of angry snakes to me. Do not appreciate the designer in this one.

Love the sentiment in your quilt QNS! So interesting to read about the "old" days!

All blocks are beautiful!

jan RN, I'm glad it worked Your blocks are great!

QuiltingNinaSue, I love the pictures in your Boy's playmate! What a lovely idea to dedicate the block to family. I love the idea of the broken hearts.
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

QNS I'm so sorry that you are not happy with Broken Hearts. I'm having trouble choosing fabric for it. I think that I've got it now. I think that I"ll do Boy's playmate first then Broken Hearts tomorrow.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Catching up here, after not being around all day ....... you've all been busy!

Anael
    ... Yours are looking softly romantic!!
    I think that pink mended the Broken ♥ !!

MiraB ... How nice!! You've really made those stars and flowergardens work perfectly together. Yes! I counted those 57 pieces and went *gasp* ... I kept track of all the FWS pieces and am doing the same for PC.

JanRN ... you nailed it with that PPing!!! And great with the red contrasting with your infamous mules! Do we have you sold on PPing now? Looks like GGal is coming close on the dalmatians for us!

GGal ... Another red winner ... you're in the Valentine's Day spirit, with many of the rest!. Cute, fun and playful puppies!

JanieW ... look at all those perfect FC triangles and strips. OMG ... you are incredible, woman! Great match up for the cowboy and fabrics

WendiQ ... Now that's just so cute, the FC horseshoe surrounded by the softness of the blues. Almost like a surprise! Then the fun horse and bandanas. Great mix and will all come together as the blue/grey rope with the horse gets a chance to blend with the blues.

DublB ... Thanks! I really like my anchor fabric and just wish I could use more of it. The print is spaced too far to use all as one ... and then the print parts are too big for most of the FC possibilities. hhmmmmm? Maybe I should start rationing it, and use it in borders? Playmate should give you a nice big piece to FC something from your flag fabric. Waiting to see it!

QNSue ... More surprises in the pics! You'll have to give us all lessons on the how to's!! So unique for all your blocks. Remember, there's no Quilt Sheriff around these parts! Angry snakes ... oh my! Is it supposed to be rope? or?
    Last edited by QuiltE; 02-08-2012 at 03:49 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Beautiful blocks as always ladies.Loviing all the chatter and reasoning behind fabric choices etc.Love your stories QNS

That lasso piece will not be in the quilt at all; the lighter piece of the same design might be there. Love my wirless HP Pro 8600 printer but find my Dell has a long learning curve and cannot get the fonts set up the right size yet. I print on Joanns print paper for laser jets now, but will see what I prefer later.

WOW! You have been busy posting today! I worked at the quilt shop all day so didn't get to check in until now! I just work one day/week...it is lots of fun helping ladies pick fabrics. Plus it helps pay for my fabric purchases.

Everyone's blocks are great! I didn't "see" the broken heart until looking at the contrasting blocks...especially the red and white ones. I now have to rethink my fabric choices so I can try to get the same effect.

Carrie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
    OK, quilt police, the points do not match up on the first; may re-make later. Whatever. Background takes over; not a good background piece. Looks like a batch of angry snakes to me. Do not appreciate the designer in this one.
    Your blocks are just great QNinaSue. I rechecked the first and no your points don't match, but your photo placement makes it look like that's the way it's supposed to be. Really like the red fabric placement. Oh and a broken heart is a bleeding heart-so clever!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Blog Entries
    Like you Carrie, I missed the broken heart. Honchey, I'm framing the little hearts and giving them as a Valentine.
    Anael--love the browns; pink hearts complement the browns in block 1
    mirabelle--starry, starry nights, right? Such lovely colors.
    Jan, hearts are so pretty and where'd you find the donkey fabric.
    GGal--your hearts are truly broken with the color changes you made
    JanieW--fussy cuts on Broken Heart are fantastic; great contrast with the horse rider and the brown that surrounds the center.
    Wendiq--another cute FC from your horse fabric; how many more can you use in your blocks? love the blues
    And here's my Boy's Playmate, I took a cue from QE and put a heart in the middle. Whew another one I didn't have to PP. Won't let me post, will do so later.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Blog Entries
    Let's try it another way. The block's square, the scanning isn't.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

OK, your little heart is darling! A great way ta center in on this block!
    Bev

Here's my Boy's Playmate.
    Name:  PC Boys Playmate.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  85.8 KB

Here's where I've started Broken Hearts.
    Name:  PC PP Start of Broken Hearts.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  101.3 KB

I've got another picture. I was wondering if Attic Windows would work with these blocks so I took a pict to get a better idea of how it would look. What do ya'll think? I was also wondering about weather it would work with the fabric's time period?

Name:  PC Attic Windows Test.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  73.4 KB

The red, cream, & blue are folded & not quite the finished size. The blue would be a small sashing between all of the blocks.

PS As I look at it here I think that I would need a tiny (maybe 1/16" wide) black bias strip appliqued between the blocks & the red & cream. That might give the windows even more dimension & separate the colors.

I think that I'll head ta bed & see what ya'll think in the AM. Nite all.
    Last edited by dublb; 02-08-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Add more text
    Bev

Bev, I think your blocks are beautiful. I like the idea of framing them with Attic Windows-would make each blocks stand on it's own yet be part of the whole. You're so clever!
    Everyone is doing such beautiful work. I'm glad I'm not the only one who had trouble with Broken Heart. Learned a lot from it and that is why I decided to join this posse. I love all the different fabrics used and the different perspective it puts on the same block. The fussy cutting is so much fun to see. I still haven't figured out how to FC & pp at the same time. With my skills, I'll end up with a horse's bum in the center LOL.
    Thanks for all the comments and compliments-I'm humbled. You all (yinz) are such great quilters so it means a lot to me!
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

CarrieM ... Oh what fun to be able to work (or would that be play?) at a quilt store! However, I think I'd be paying them to do so ... and would spend more than I earned

OKSGlad ... a perfect variation!

QNSue ... I have my want, need and "in my dreams" list made for a printer. Now to get my geek-bravery on and go to investigate!

DublB ... Your Broken ♥ is going to look really nice!

So darn many cute, cute blocks! I can't begin to name you all and compliment each one like QuiltE does, but I love 'em all. I continue to be amazed and delighted with the range of fabrics and colors used......thank you, all, for posting and sharing your wonderful work......I look each morning while enjoying my cup of coffee......GREAT eye candy....

Blog Entries
    This is how I've been fussy cutting squares, but ask JanieW how she did those lovely triangles in BHeart.

When you cut your fabric square make it bigger than you need by at least a 1/2" making sure the design is centered exactly. Now fold the fabric square in half on the diagonal once and then fold the other diagonal forming a fabric folded X. On the paper square draw diagonal lines from corner to corner. When ready to piece match your folded X to the drawn X on the paper. Pin in place or use double stick tape to keep it where you want it. Glue works, too, but then dries and is harder to take paper off.

Clear as mud?
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

No mud at all OKSGlad ... clear and what a clever lady you are!!
    I think I'd add one step ... stab one pin thru the centre of the X on the fabric, and into the paper. Then continue on with lining up those lines. You are SEW SMART!!

For holding things in place ... I just use long stitches on my machine, and then pull them out after.

OKSGlad ... ITA JanieW is the PPQueen with those Broken ♥ FC alignments. I'm still in awe!

Sooooooooo
    JanieW ... care to share the secrets of success? Please? and Thanks!

Last edited by QuiltE; 02-09-2012 at 08:13 AM.

[[B]CarrieM ... Oh what fun to be able to work (or would that be play?) at a quilt store! However, I think I'd be paying them to do so ... and would spend more than I earned

I do have to admit that some months I spend more than I make.

Carrie

Quote Originally Posted by carriem View Post
    I do have to admit that some months I spend more than I make.
    Carrie
    I'm sure it's a challenge! Always good for the economy and keeping your LQS in business!!!

I've had a couple of friends try to nudge me to "work" at an LQS ... I'm just not sure if it would ruin the "fun" for me? or if I'd find the work took away from the enjoyment. Similarily, at times I've considered teaching classes (especially when I take a really poorly led one), and then again, I wonder if I'd be too frustrated with all that can happen in them ... and again, might take from the pleasure in this venture.

So for now, I haven't taken either thoughts any further.

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    This is how I've been fussy cutting squares, but ask JanieW how she did those lovely triangles in BHeart.

When you cut your fabric square make it bigger than you need by at least a 1/2" making sure the design is centered exactly. Now fold the fabric square in half on the diagonal once and then fold the other diagonal forming a fabric folded X. On the paper square draw diagonal lines from corner to corner. When ready to piece match your folded X to the drawn X on the paper. Pin in place or use double stick tape to keep it where you want it. Glue works, too, but then dries and is harder to take paper off.

Clear as mud?
    This is helpful....I normally "eyeball" and sometimes, my eye is off....LOL!

OKSewglad, thanks for explaining how to FC & pp at the same time. I'll try this method on the next block. Hope this guarantees no horse's bums in the center of my block!! I learn so much here!
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

GGal--your hearts are truly broken with the color changes you made

The color changes were because I didn't have enough fabric and I wasn't about to do the flying geese again! I couldn't purposely plan for that. Truly scrappy.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast