Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: THE FW PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Week 6 Broken Heart & Boy's Playmate Photo Page

I absolutely love all the blocks I see here. What a talented bunch.

Fussy Cutting and Paper Piecing.... the low tech method.

For those triangles in Broken Heart, I made a template out of paper. I made it the size of the finished triangle with a 1/4" seam allowance. Then I cut it out on the seam line to create a window. I put the window template on the fabric till I found what I wanted in the triangle. I taped it down and rotary cut it to the exact size that I would need for sewing so there was no room for error. I do the same thing for the centre squares.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I am just done with a migraine.

I have a set of those fussy cut square rulers. I put the template piece on the square ruler and draw around it with a dry erase marker. I then add the 1/4" seam allowance on the two sides I have drawn. I can then place that on the fabric until I find what I want. I use the square and draw 2 sides, then place the template down and finish the other two sides. The dry erase marks wipe right off. For paper piecing, I have read you need to hold the fabric and paper up to a light source to get it to fit. I tried this on one of mine and it worked pretty well.

We grew up hearing the old refrain: " 'Each to her own'; that's what the old maid said that kissed the cow!" And I love it here, where can pass tips on, and each still do their own thing. Whatever works the best for you is a terrific idea

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
    We grew up hearing the old refrain: " 'Each to her own'; that's what the old maid said that kissed the cow!" And I love it here, where can pass tips on, and each still do their own thing. Whatever works the best for you is a terrific idea
    Your so right QNS! I love coming here, reading all of these tips & learning what works for me!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

For some of mine, I cut peep holes out of the line drawing and then placed it on the fabric like JanieW suggested ... and then marked my outline on as to what will show on the block .... then continued on from there.

These other suggestions seem a lot less fiddly than what I was doing!

I bet by the time we are all done this PC quilt, we're going to have FCPP all figured out!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Here are my Broken Heart and Boy's Playmate. I did these using the templates, so they are not as precise as the PP ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images

JeanieG ... oh those are so beautiful. What a perfect V-Day red and with the horseshoes blending right in there. Well done on the horse FCs!

Love everyones blocks this week, but for the life of me I cannot see a broken heart. So I am wearing my new glasses, I have squinted at the blocks and nope don't see it. What am I missing.
    Karen

Jeanie, beautiful blocks. Love the fabric you're using and you did a great job with the templates. I could not get them to work in BH block.
    Karen, if you squint and tilt your head just right LOL the broken hearts (I think) are the four outer corner sections.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Quote Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
    Here are my Broken Heart and Boy's Playmate. I did these using the templates, so they are not as precise as the PP ones.
    Your Broken Heart is amazing. You really mastered the templates!

Quote Originally Posted by mirabelle View Post
    Love everyones blocks this week, but for the life of me I cannot see a broken heart. So I am wearing my new glasses, I have squinted at the blocks and nope don't see it. What am I missing.

Glad I'm not the only one, MiraB ... I keep squinting and turning my head and standing on my head and shrink them down and blow them back up ... and other than reeeeeeeeallyyy using my imagination, I just don't get it either!

jeanieG, well done especially using the templates. I'm impressed.

Re: broken hearts. I thought the flying geese were what what coming up the middle of the hearts to break them. I suspect they'll look a bit more like hearts when the final outer seam is sewn?????

Quote Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
    My first reaction was to draw my breath in when I saw your blocks! How do you type that? Lovely blocks!
    Bev

Quote Originally Posted by mirabelle View Post
    I didn't git it at first either! If ya go & look at JennieG's blocks, look at the red parts, with the flying geese going down the center of the heart. Don't look at the center square. Can ya see it now? If not go & look at some of the other red ones & see if that helps. I hope ya'll see it, if not, don't worry to much about it. It's like looking at those mystery pictures, All I see is dots!
    Bev

Beautiful fabric. I hope you post the picture of the finished quilt as I'm really looking forward to seeing one.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Blog Entries
    Great blocks, Jeanie!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Quote Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
    Beautiful fabric. I hope you post the picture of the finished quilt as I'm really looking forward to seeing one.
    Stay tuned .... for about 39 weeks before the quilts are assembled!

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    I didn't git it at first either! If ya go & look at JennieG's blocks, look at the red parts, with the flying geese going down the center of the heart. Don't look at the center square. Can ya see it now? If not go & look at some of the other red ones & see if that helps. I hope ya'll see it, if not, don't worry to much about it. It's like looking at those mystery pictures, All I see is dots!
    I think we're all going to sweat it out, DublB .... I'm sure when the time comes, we'll go ... dang it, how the heck did I miss that???

I did it!! I pieced my first PP block!
    (Can ya spot my mistake?)

I'm not changin' it.

Name:  PC Broken Hearts.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  82.2 KB

And here is the resultin' mess!

Name:  My mess.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  63.9 KB

I've got a lota crumbs now!
    Last edited by dublb; 02-10-2012 at 09:37 PM.
    Bev

Very well done Bev! I wouldn't change it either, nobody will ever notice something! I love the red polkadots
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Oh, Thank Ya Anael. I worked so hard making the dots go in the same direction that i didn't notice when I put one of the "Tea Stained" muslin pieces on backwards! I didn't even notice until I was through makin' the block. I work hard while makin' it & now I'll let it go.
    Last edited by dublb; 02-10-2012 at 11:15 PM.
    Bev

Love the polka dots, Bev-and the center really makes for a beautiful block. Great job!
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    I did it!! I pieced my first PP block!
    (Can ya spot my mistake?)

I'm not changin' it.

Name:  PC Broken Hearts.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  82.2 KB

And here is the resultin' mess!

Name:  My mess.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  63.9 KB

I've got a lota crumbs now!
    When we try a new technique, the reward is in completing it. You did that and the "mistake" only highlights how hard you were concentrating on learning the new process. Great job!

Blog Entries
    Now can you ladies see the hearts in dublb block? Very striking block. If the "white" piece bothers you, what if you take some stong tea and use a Qtip as a paint brush and brush some tea on the rectangle. It may be just enough to take the stark whiteness out.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Broken Heart and Boy's Playmate

Hey everyone, you all have beautiful blocks as usual.
    Honchey, what a gorgeous sunset fabric, it really stands out!!

QuiltE, lovely colors in broken heart and great fussy cutting in boy's playmate, nice boots!!

Mirabelle, I love your colors, what a beautiful quilt you'll have.!!

Anael, love both your blocks and with broken heart I can really see the hearts!!

Oksewglad, your block looks great, nice colors. The one below is sooo cute!!! On boy's playmate I love the little heart in the middle, great job!!

JanRN, your blocks look great!! Love the mules!

Gardnergal970, your broken heart is sooo pretty and boy's playmate is sooo cute!!

JanieW, lovely green and white broken heart and love the center square in boy's playmate!!

Wendiq, beautiful broken heart with middle fussy cut horseshoe. Great job!! Your boy's playmate is sooo cute!!

QuiltingNinaSue, in boy's playmate I love how you're using photos. Great idea! Your broken heart is fabulous!!!! Really creative!

Okseglad, great tip for fussy cutting! I'll have to try that. I've just been winging it and hoping for the best.

JeanieG, Wow, beautiful blocks. They look precise to me. Lovely colors and horses.

dublb, beautiful broken heart with the red and white and middle square. Great job!! If there's a mistake I can't see it, I can only see my own.

Re: fussy cutting. I too feel it wastes fabric. I hate cutting into the neighboring scenes on the fabric. Therefore, I often don't make my piece big enough.

I agree with Honchey, I couldn't see the heart in broken heart either, not until some of you started using red and white.
    I drew a blank with fabrics for that block so mine is kind of bland.

Here they are.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast