Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS 30"s Quilt-Along  Week 1  Blocks-Addie  & Aimee >

The FWS 30"s Quilt-Along Week 1 Blocks-Addie & Aimee

The FWS 30"s Quilt-Along Week 1 Blocks-Addie & Aimee

Old 08-06-2015, 08:54 AM

My book didn't come yesterday maybe today, but I may not get to these until the weekend. But I'll catch up. Love them all so far.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by CookyIN View Post
husky, you're still right on schedule as we don't show the next two blocks until the 11th. I'm tempted to start on the them now, but have to be a grown-up and do some machine maintenance first.
Being a grownup is highly overrated (or so I hear).
Old 08-06-2015, 09:34 AM

Cooky, you're sewing these blocks like a pro.

I hope you're enjoying the show.. you'll catch up soon enough..

I have block base and it's a pain to try & find the blocks by the right name..

I'm working ahead on some of the blocks...I'm going to NC in another week? and I may not have time to do some right away..I get very busy with the Village Stitchers down there and they're raffling off a Patriotic Quilt I put together for the Wounded Warriors Leave program...I hope they make a lot of money on it.. Back to the machine for me....
Old 08-06-2015, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by katybob View Post
JaneH, are you paperpiecing or "regular" piecing?
I was just using the template. I think I have to admit defeat.... sorry. I've only new to patchwork, although I've been sewing for 50 years (!) or more. After my disaster yesterday, I started over today with all new fabric. I measured very carefully at every step and even marked the seam allowances on my pieces. I re-measured them after they were cut to be sure that I hadn't missed something. I followed the assembly guide step-by-step. I even drew black lines on my sewing machine for 1/4" seam allowance to be sure. Once it was all cut out, also I laid all the pieces out and they looked fine. When I tried to sew them all together, it all goes pear-shaped.

I am in absolute awe of the blocks shown so far and they're all beautiful. I think if I had someone sitting beside me and telling me what I'm doing wrong, then maybe I could do it, but evidently this is just beyond me.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:58 AM

Jane, it sounds like you're doing traditional patchwork and not paper piecing. There's no way I could do these blocks without paper piecing, since you're just sewing over the lines marked on the paper. Some in the group say they're hand sewing, and I'm in absolute awe of them.

Husky, you're right! Highly over-rated.

Honchey, thanks. I actually enjoy the precision of the process, not aiming for perfection but for the best I can do at the time. Hope your quilt brings a high bid for such a worthy cause!
Old 08-06-2015, 11:35 AM

Rosy, I agree; Aimee was a bear! But here she is to join Addie. The colors look brighter here, but the red and blue are the same fabric in all the red/yellow/blue blocks I'll be doing. The calico is vintage on this one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]527082[/ATTACH]
Cookyin do I ever recognize that yellow print. Your block is so beautiful. I will have to do a red, yellow and blue somewhere down the line.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:40 AM

Honchey, sometimes, she just leaves something out of the name, like grandma favorite, she will just say grandma....now if you do the wildcard search in BB, it will bring up the block if any of the words match and so far I have been able to find both. Aimee, comes right up. Addie came up as, Aunt Addie's album.....and so on. Some I might not find but I know bb inside and out, I use it a lot.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:10 PM

Jane, it sounds like you're doing traditional patchwork and not paper piecing. There's no way I could do these blocks without paper piecing, since you're just sewing over the lines marked on the paper. Some in the group say they're hand sewing, and I'm in absolute awe of them.
Sometimes I think it would be easier to have hand-sewn this! For paper-piecing, do you cut with the seam allowance or cut the actual size? I've never done paper piecing, but saw a few videos on YouTube and would be willing to try it...maybe. Right now, I'm looking at it all in the rubbish bin and have just finished off a nice glass of wine! Tomorrow is another day.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:56 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]527107[/ATTACH]
Addie is done and will do the next one tomorrow.
No sewing today. Had an appointment with my new best friend. An Oncologist . Choose a treatment course for the breast cancer but the PET scan picked up a very small tumor in my lower lobe of the Left lung. Waiting for appointment for a needle biopsy now. Piecing these blocks and others will keep my mind off all else. I can really get lost in my fabrics.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 08-06-2015, 01:12 PM

Here's a new Aimee. When I looked at the photograph I took, I noticed that I'd gotten the fabric in the center switched around, so I made a new one. The first one I made will end up on the back of the quilt, I'm sure to be joined by other re-do's along the way.
~
Attached Thumbnails aimee2.jpg