Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS 30"s Quiltalong Week 29 Block 57 Margaret  &  Block 58 Martha >

The FWS 30"s Quiltalong Week 29 Block 57 Margaret & Block 58 Martha

The FWS 30"s Quiltalong Week 29 Block 57 Margaret & Block 58 Martha

Old 03-13-2016, 10:02 PM
Power Poster

I have been up late tonight to work on my Margaret block. I hope to post a picture of it later today. I just have to sew the rows together now. I am so pleased how it turned out. Now that I am finished with my other obligations on the quilting board I can devote more time to this group. I so love sewing these together.

For the reverse part, when finished the rows of paper piecing I notice if I just turned the rows upside down then it came out correctly. Now I don't know if that applies to all the blocks or if it just worked for this one.

I also hope to work on my Martha block later today too. I want to get caught up with where we are right now before the next one begins and then I will really be more in the swing of it. lol...

I love them, I love them, I love them.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

Here is a picture of my Margaret Block. I am working on the Martha Block still.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544814[/ATTACH]

I was happy with how it turned out, but how do all of you iron all the seams? ( which way do you iron them ) I know some may leave them on the paper, but I end up taking mine out for the joining. Right now that seems easier to me.

I thought about my fabrics, and that I did not have any solids in this one, but I still enjoyed all the little prints as long as some part of them gave a contrast.
Attached Thumbnails 100_3359-small-.jpg  
Old 03-14-2016, 06:29 PM

Good job! Love the red, white and blue. I lveave my paper on...tearing off the quarter inch seal allowance so it lays down flat better. Bought a couple of good tweezers tp remove tje paper with them.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:32 PM

Nice block Susan! So glad you are doing these. I will have some to post tomorrow!
Old 03-14-2016, 07:19 PM

Love your colorful block JB.. It's busy but not uncomfortably so... dancing triangles
Old 03-14-2016, 07:26 PM
Power Poster

QuiltingNinaSue, thank you. I never thought of using tweezers to do that. I will have to try that out.

Pam P, thank you, and I look forward to seeing yours.

Honchey, yes I had to go back and look at the dancing triangles. lol.. They do look sort of like a dance going on. I am not usually one for busy either, but for some reason they struck me different, so I went with it. lol...
Old 03-15-2016, 04:39 AM

Very pretty block, Susan. Love all the prints.

I can tell you how I do my seams, may not work for anyone but works for me. If a block has sections that have to be sewn together to complete the block I sew the first to the second section, remove the paper just in the seam allowance and then press that seam open. I use drops of water (not a lot) on the seam to get a little steam to help set it open. Continue adding the sections, removing the paper in the seam allowances, press seam open. After the entire block is sewn together I remove the rest of the paper. I find pressing the main seams open helps the block to lay flat. Again, this is just my way of doing it.

Lots of people wait till all blocks are sewn together to remove all the paper at once. I tried that method one time on a wall hanging and it was tedious. I also felt I was stretching the top too much so I remove my papers after I complete each block. It's an individual choice. My blocks go up on a flannel wall so they're not handled a lot after completion so i don't notice any stretching or distortion due to the bias edges. I thought it stretched more when I left the papers in til the end.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

JanRN thank you for your comments on how you handle all the pressing of the seams. They are very tedious. I started my Martha block last night, but had to stop when I was sleepy with those center blocks so tiny and I wanted to be aware of what I was doing. I have to go for an appointment today, and will have to finish it later this evening. I am anxious to see if I get it to turn out. I have the two sides done, and a little start in the middle. It's more of a challenge for me, but I am excited about it.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:04 PM
Power Poster

Well I finished my (Martha) block tonight, but don't think it will do any good to post a picture until they get that fixed on the board. lol... This block was a challenge for me, but I kept going.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

I don't know if the board is straightened out yet or not, but I am going to try and post a pic of my 'Martha' block.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]545076[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_3378-small-.jpg