Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The FWS 30's Quiltalong Week 32 Block 63 Mollie & Block 64 Monette

The FWS 30's Quiltalong Week 32 Block 63 Mollie & Block 64 Monette

Well Ladies, It's that time again and I'm happy to say I'm not late in Posting.. The blocks are another story

Some of you are already into completing the blocks with their surroundings. Sashing or triangles?

Let's see some of the blocks for this week...

I posted the short cut I used on the last thread of this journey, but let me post again here as its easier than pp

Name:  1-DSCN0425-001.JPG
Views: 532
Size:  67.2 KBName:  1-DSCN0426-001.JPG
Views: 518
Size:  62.7 KB I marked the light fabric with four rows of inch by inch blocks, cut it in half length wise and flipped it right side down on the dark fabric. Then I sewed the outside edges, one quarter inch seams on both out side edges. Cut down the line in the center, then cut each pair off and sew the block together. It likes like the second block below.Name:  1-DSCN0424-001.JPG
Views: 548
Size:  103.5 KBName:  1-DSCN0427-001.JPG
Views: 477
Size:  124.8 KB I also discovered a new site : www.kitsbyCarla.com who has five sheets of 'short cuts' that I am ordering. The quick way she makes flying geese sold me on her ideas. And I did make the smallest triangle in the first a bit larger, then trimmed it down to size.

The photo in the book took the seam allowance off the photo....thus it does not look like the above, but it comes ou and the it to be six and half inches, and the squares so come out to be inch by inch squares.

Blog Entries
    Those are pretty blocks QNS, and you have them all finished. You also are so good at coming up with short cuts too.

I started my Mollie block, and am going slow with it. Will get to my Monette afterwards, but not sure how long that will be. Also finishing up on my mug rugs for a swap, then all to my blocks again. I love these blocks.

Here are mine. I'm not real happy with the fabric choices in the second block with all the little squares. What do yinz think? Name:  63 & 64.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  527.0 KB
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

I think you have good strong contrast and both are lovey blocks, JanRN.

Blog Entries
    I agree with QuiltingNinaSue. Both blocks JanRN are very pretty. The design fabric in the second one adds a lot of interest too.

Your blocks look great Jan, I wouldn't change anything..

Nice fussy cutting, QNS, the flowers look nice.
    Jan, both of your blocks look fine. I especially like the light/dark of the green/white/black one (or navy? not sure of the color on my monitor). It's hard to know what to do with that little square block. I have no idea yet what fabric to choose for it...

Thank you, ladies. I'm always unsure of my color choices and this one just looked dull to me. I want happy colorful blocks like QNS makes and the spring time colors of the 30s blocks. I love all the blocks everyone has made and never question your color choices. I'm going to leave it as is--thanks again.

Blog Entries
    i am never sure about my color choices either. I want my quilt with a lot of different colors that hopefully won't look too strange, but that it would look nice anytime of the year. So I guess I will see when I am done, if next time it needs to go different. I am going for the queen size for me and hubby.

I just got a bit more done on my Mollie. I don't know what I do, but the two tiny triangles across from each other on the corner units I have 3 times now taken one of them back out to cut again, because I will look at the end of the outer seam allowance and see a tiny nipped off piece. I can't stand seeing that tiny nip so redo. lol....It something I don't see at the time where they are tiny.(my eyes get blurry though) I think I have it down now. Little buggers slowing me down. hehe...They are so pretty though!

Note: Did you know there are 50 something little pieces in this one 6" finished block? I thought that was amazing.
    Last edited by JuneBillie; 04-06-2016 at 09:36 AM.

If I wasn't into paper piecing, I don't think these two would have happened!
    Name:  Mollie and Monette.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  214.3 KB

Oh, Kathybob, it looks like spring has sprung! Love your colors and your perfect blocks...no, I did not pp mine but you did great.

Great blocks, Katybob. I've been whining because it's cold and we're supposed to get "accumulating snow" for the next 2 days. Your blocks are my Springtime!

Thanks, Jan and QNS. That's why I live in the South! 75 degrees today. I still don't like that pepto bismol pink, but it seems to go with a lot of my fabrics.

Blog Entries
    Katybob those blocks are so pretty. They are such nice blocks for spring. I really like those colors. I couldn't be working on mine either if I didn't know how to paper piece now. I would have my fingers all fumbled on those tiny pieces. I am still working on my first block, but we have had a lot going on with my dad too who is in the nursing home, and has been very weak.

Have a great day everyone!

katybob, They look like dishes of tasty sherbet. :-)

Lovely blocks this week, I'm going to tackle Monette first...

Blog Entries
    I finally last night finished each unit part of the block Mollie. All I have to do now is sew together the sections, and post a pic. I got down to the last tiny itsy bitsy corner of the fabric color I was using, and ran out. I went through all the cut off scraps trying to find one that would be enough to cover that tiny corner. I finally did, and let me tell you it barely did, but it did. That was after taking it out 2 times to move it over just a hair more. lol...The lord is teaching me patience.

Have a great day everyone!

I will next be doing my Monette.

Blog Entries
    Here is my Block #63 Mollie.

Name:  100_3439 (Small).JPG
Views: 72
Size:  170.2 KB

Pretty spring blocks Katybob! I like the brightness of your Mollie Susan. Here are mine, Mollie and Monette.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh my gosh, these blocks are so de-lish! I can't wait to get into this. And if the blocks are this complicated, I WILL learn paper piecing.

Great job, ladies.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    Pam P your Mollie and Monette are so pretty. Cute playful summer time print in your Monette. The orange and yellow compliment each other in your Mollie.

Some Beautiful blocks this week...I spent the better part of the day in the ER w/DH..Minor problem from the procedure he had done last year..Everything is ok tho..Thank God for that..I hope to get some sewing done at work tomorrow..

Blog Entries
    Hi Sewbizgirl!!

Honchey, I am glad your husband is ok. Still, I am sorry you both had to go to the emergency room.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast