Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS 30"s Quiltalong  Week 30   Block 59 Mary & Block 60 Mary Gray >

The FWS 30"s Quiltalong Week 30 Block 59 Mary & Block 60 Mary Gray

The FWS 30"s Quiltalong Week 30 Block 59 Mary & Block 60 Mary Gray

Old 03-28-2016, 05:05 AM

I'm gonna add white and trim them to all the same size.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:22 AM

I've decided to go with Moda Baby Yellow for the sashing. I've made a couple of quilts lately with white sashing and I was just ready for a change. The yellow is pale enough that I don't think it'll dominate the quilt. I'm with Pam -- I haven't been measuring my blocks! If I have some too small, I'll add a frame in a color that coordinates with that block. If I have some that are too big, I'll try to adjust them somehow so I won't cut off any points. Depending on what size quilt you decide to go with, you may not use all of the blocks anyway, so you can eliminate a couple that would look really bad if you trim them down.

As for Mother -- who is appropriately named LOL -- I made her last night and I was ready to go back to May! One thing I did that might help you if you're paper piecing is I combined F1 and F2 since they're the same fabric and did the same with G1 and G2 and H1 and H2 and I1 and I2.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:33 AM

I'm using multiple colors for the background. I had bought some coral colored, but the new peach color that is available was different enough that it really showed. So, I decided to use multiple colors. Like katybob, I add to small blocks whatever fabric I think looks good with the block. I think I have only 3 really small ones so far.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:26 AM

All along I'd planned on a pale blue or green for sashing. I laid out blocks the other day on a white sheet, tried blue, green, dark blue and didn't like any of them. I then tried black--love it. So I'm off to a quilting expo on Thursday and will look for a mottled black batik for the background and use the pastel for cornerstones. I'm not doing an on-point layout--I like mine better straight across. I forgot how large this quilt is going to be; I've been working with minis for the past year and this one looks gigantic compared to what I've been doing--very daunting.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:25 AM

I haven't been able to plan that far ahead. I have too many irons in the fire and if I try to plan like that I get overloaded and can't think straight. Just the way my brain works I guess. (or doesn't work). I think I will like mine better laid out straight too Jan.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

This may be a silly question, but if you choose to lay out your blocks straight does that mean each block right next to each other across then the same with each row? Then to go around the whole outside a few rounds with another color? My brain is not working today.

I was working this morning a bit more on my May block, and got a bit frustrated due to the y-seam, but not about the connecting. I had done the first one with the couple of y-seams after I figured what worked for me to do it, but then the next one when I sewed it the colors did not go right, and this is one block that they have too, so I think I might try what katybob said on the colors.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:22 AM

JuneBillie this is the FSW Quilt. I'm going to use this layout.[ATTACH=CONFIG]546380[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails fws-quilt.jpg  
Old 03-29-2016, 08:49 AM

Me too, JanRN. Do not like this one on point and lose half of four blocks that do not have seam allowance on them. I wil be using a pale green inbetween the blocks.

JuneBillie, I wish we were closer together and I could help you one on one. Is there a local quit shop in the area where you could get help?
Old 03-29-2016, 09:59 AM

Pretty quilt Jan! QNS, I did get a chance finally to look at your pictures. What a nice family and I love the painting of you and your husband. I hope you had a wonderful anniversary celebration. Sometimes I think people don't realize how special it is that two people can be together that long (and longer). I always thought I would get to grow old with my husband but 12 years ago God decided he wanted him back. While I do have a very good man in my life right now, my 'married' heart will always belong to my late husband and it is that loss of many years together that brings melancholy sometimes. This is not meant to bring sadness to anyone, just a wistful observation! : )
Old 03-29-2016, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

JanRN that quilt is beautiful. That is how I will do mine too. I love it that way.

QNS I wish we lived closer too. That would be so much fun. There is a fabric shop about 30 minutes from me. This summer I may go and see what they have going on.