Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along "SPRING BREAK" Discussion Week

GGal ... I think I missed something, if you're meaning JanieW? So I went back and re-read. I'm thinking with the mention of soup, that you meant JanRN?

JanieW ... do hope you are well!! .... though I'm sure you're pouting with that big dump of snow that Claire told me about last night (Weather Lady on The National!)

JanRN ... Oh dear!! about Mom and Patches. I hope both are getting better ... and that you stay well, to care for them!

And I'm soon to disappear into my sewing shangrila!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Dishes are done and I tried scanning blocks...did NOT work well. The scanner really distorted my fabrics, so I guess I will have to wait until dd gets home tomorrow.

My apologies to JanieW and JanR for getting you mixed up and thanks QuiltE for straightening me out! If I don't take notes while I'm reading the posts, that's what happens.

Here is where I've been playing this spring. This is my second spring gardening here. All of the space was under cultivation last year but I've laid out the beds with paths on the upper level and put up more fencing. It's so fun to go back this spring and not have to start from scratch but see the roses, asparagus, strawberries, etc, doing what they're supposed to do. We gathered lots of leaves last fall. Some of it I dug in this spring and the rest are in bags waiting to be used as mulch through the summer. We had a frost warning last night and I covered the strawberries. Need to go out and see if anything else got nipped.

Our house is the little white one you'll see in background of one of the pictures. The nice brick house is the neighbors. They tell me they do enjoy the garden from their kitchen window.

The last picture is the half the block that took me half a day to do. These PC blocks are very challenging since they aren't standard size and I can't use the templates I have and then the designs are unusual. Maybe by the end, I'll have conquered some of the skills I'm learning.

My DH is roaming the house today. Don't know how much sewing I'll get done. Oh, well, he's worth it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

All these beautiful gardens ... you make me jealous, Ladies!

Thanks for sharing yours
    GGal .... you know what the neighbour means when they say they enjoy the view of your garden? ... that's a subtle way of saying ... we'd gladly accept the bounty of YOUR labour!! And as you said the "construction" phase is over, so now it's the continue on, add-on and maintain phase! A little less work, and more rewards!

I moved to my home nine years ago, and about 5 yrs ago totally gutted the flowerbeds, mostly perennials and evergreens/shrubs/bushes. The first year they seemed so barren ... and gradually filled in! I keep remembering a magazine article I read sometime ago about perennials ....... first year they sleep, second year they creep, third year they leap .... and it's pretty much bang on!

Now I'm to the maintain and renovate stage .... not sure what I will do this year! Though I have decided that's how some people have SO many flower beds .... the perennials go forth and multiply, need thinning ... and so they start a new flowerbed!!!

Great pictures, gardenergal.

QuiltE.. pouting doesn't even come close. And to think I could have been in Hawaii right this minute. This is what my yard looked like On April the 5th

Name:  april snow 003.JPG
Views: 40
Size:  327.1 KB

Name:  april snow 002.JPG
Views: 43
Size:  324.0 KB

From the breath of spring to JanieW's Old Man Winter!
    Poor You!!! The good news ... you can build Easter Rabbits with the Grands!!!!!!!! Think of the memories you will create!!!
    Probably it's poor me ... as you do tend to send your weather eastward. YIKES!!! what am I in for next week?

And it's not unknownst ... The first time I saw this home was on April 7th ... and we had such a wild storm overnight that as I left with the real estate agent, we got stuck in my yard. Then as we drove along the roads and everyone was sliding everywhere, I wondered why on earth I was on the road? There really was no rush, was there? When we got here, everything was covered ... honestly, we had no clue what the roof was, or if there was a flowerbed or sidewalk? We walked down the slope thru the bush to the creek .... and being that it'd changed to freezing rain, we then had to grab tree limbs to come back up as we slid around. At the top, we were walking on top of the snow/ice ... no indentations!! I put in an offer that night, conditional to another viewing. It was accepted. That was a Friday .... by Monday, it was no better. I firmed up, as the RE agents were having an open house the next day and I didn't want anyone jumping my offer.

And I've NEVER regretted it one bit!! ... Yes there was a roof. The flower beds were there, but minimal and old and tired. The sidewalk, was merely stepping stones of limestone rock from the bush. All true, to what they had told us!

Termi ... have you done anything on your house quilt? I just saw this thread, and the houses are exactly mine! HOwever, I have about 15 made ... so using this idea, I could have LOTS of quilts!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t185202.html

GGal .. I got carried away ... and forgot to mention, that I really like the start of that block. I've kept track of the # of pieces, and don't want to scare myself as to the # hours! Oh yes, hours and hours per block!! You mentioned templates, but not PPing ... have you tried it? It's still not fast, but I find it does help immensely, and gives such nice results.
    Last edited by QuiltE; 04-06-2012 at 07:06 AM.

Great pictures; from spring to winter, both have their own beauty. Love the garden area pictures, looks much like the gardens here. No snow to speak of this winter, which means not enough moisture in the soil for this summer. Drought like conditions are expected. Hawaiian feast tomorrow for lunch; big Bar-Be-Que tonight. Band coming in to play.

Mmm the doe and dart block may have it's challenge. Finished Datoka Star and Crystal Star before breakfast...on to clover leaf and cake stand. I can hear those sewing machines going full tilt.

Oh I am so jealous GGal-I'd love to have a garden again. Years ago I kept one and loved canning and sharing all the veggies. DH is more anal than I am and had to have all the edges around the garden beds perfectly straight so when he cut the grass he "trimmed" off more and more of the plants. Finally gave up; now he has his perfectly straight borders on the yard.
    I am NOT jealous of all that snow!! This has been my favorite winter--lots of small amts of snow lots of days but none over 5". The snow totals here were average for the year so we won't have the drought problems, QNS.
    Doe & Darts. That's the block that almost sent me running around the neighborhood naked singing Jimi Hendrix songs!!
    That's when I stomped my foot and said no more y-seams. I thought that one was a real booger-got it done but won't do that one again!!
    Dough is in Bread Machine--how does home-made pizza sound for tonight's campfire?
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

QuiltW...sounds like you are an adverterious risk taker...at least at times. It sounds like you have a little acreage. I've always dreamed of a creek. I did have a little pond once and loved the trickle of run ing water. I'm doing most of the blocks using PP. usually gives good results but combining it with y seams...challenging. You can't see the little tucks I've almost ironed out. We're waiting for pictures of your gardens once you get a chance.

QNS...Band coming...boy I bet we'll have a wide variety of requests. Right now my DH has his favorite country classic radio station playing. Anyone ever heard "I loved her first"? Really sweet song from father to daughter. Hope the link works.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...7nAIR44DediwRQ

Quote Originally Posted by janRN View Post
    Oh I am so jealous GGal-I'd love to have a garden again. Years ago I kept one and loved canning and sharing all the veggies. DH is more anal than I am and had to have all the edges around the garden beds perfectly straight so when he cut the grass he "trimmed" off more and more of the plants. Finally gave up; now he has his perfectly straight borders on the yard.
    I am NOT jealous of all that snow!! This has been my favorite winter--lots of small amts of snow lots of days but none over 5". The snow totals here were average for the year so we won't have the drought problems, QNS.
    Doe & Darts. That's the block that almost sent me running around the neighborhood naked singing Jimi Hendrix songs!!
    That's when I stomped my foot and said no more y-seams. I thought that one was a real booger-got it done but won't do that one again!!
    Dough is in Bread Machine--how does home-made pizza sound for tonight's campfire?
    They now have raised beds with sides that can't be trimmed away. Even some on stilts so you don't have to bend over. Same principle as QNS's tractor tires. Just add potting mix and plant . Good results are assured. Check out Gardner's Supply.
    http://www.gardeners.com/Outdoor-Gar...efault,sc.html

Homemade pizza with BBQ sounds great.

DH mixes up our soil; did have seasoned horse manure to add to the mix, but the neighbor decided his HS was too good to give away to us. Funny to imagine him sitting on his HS throne as we go by.

Back to the quilt room; clover leaf is almost done!!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
    I can hear those sewing machines going full tilt.

Yup ... it's been purring away here too!
    Apple Tree done .... At the Station well on the way.
    Their partners were done before, so, closer to a finish than it may seem!

QNSue ... I'm getting confused between your IRL food and parties? and our virtual RV gathering? I've been quilting with you this afternoon!!! So take a good look a these two when they make their debut!

JanRN ... don't fret! Gardens are over rated ... until we want "real" tasty produce! No garden for me unless I put it on the front yard, and I don't think the neighbours would be too impressed! I do stick a couple of tomatoes in the flowerbeds or in large pots on the deck. And have some herbs in my front bed, so I can step right out on the walk and get it, should it be wet. I keep considering some contrasting carrots/beets/lettuce amidst the flowers!!! Maybe this will be the year?

GGal ... not a lot of risk taker in me! I just felt good about the house and property. Everything on the inside was immaculate. The house was 15 yrs, so I knew that it could be time for a new roof, which I did a couple yrs later. I'd been in so many houses by then, that I had LOTS of comparisons and so didn't take a lot of wondering before I was ready to make the offer. OK, yes, I did take a risk, but felt oh so good about it all!! It's a little acreage, 2-1/2 acres ... though most of it is bush! Anice sized front lawn, surrounded by trees. The back of the house just has a small path beyond the decks and then it slopes down right into the bush. Raised bungalow, so the deck is way up in the air ... it lets me have LOTS of light in the walk in basement, where I have my sewing room!!! The flower beds are pretty bleak right now ... coming to life, but you know how they really aren't "pretty" for sometime!

About the PP-Ys ... I just take my time, and let the paper stabilize it all. LOTS of pinning done to hold it in place then I sew away.

GGal ... nice country tune! Thanks for sharing!!

I'll go and check a few more threads, then head back to get that train pulling into the station!

Virtually travel what it is, the private jet is standing by to jet us all to Hawaii after the big dance/band tonight. We will sleep on the jet and wake in the morning in Hawaii. Beach parties til noon, then we are private guests at a party til late at night when we board the private jet to return home for Easter Sunday. We will have fish and roasted pig to eat there. My senior moment will not let me spell Laiu...and we will have a lei to wear. (I know, it is all fantasy!!)

I did finish Cake stand, my version of Christmas tree,Clover leaf, Captain's wheel, Crystal Star, and Dakota Star today. Will post tomorrow morning or Tuesday. Happy Easter everyone. Give your loved ones an extra big hug for being themselves and alive. No family coming in here; just a couple that are very good friends.
    Last edited by QuiltingNinaSue; 04-06-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: spelling Hawaii correctly

Lots happening here and the wonderful food keeps on coming and now we are off to Hawaii !!!!!!! Nobody pinch me as I don't want to wake up...
    Hope to spend all day in my sewing room as DH has just left to go fishing. Fresh fish for the BBQ tonight QNS.
    Karen

I don't have any Easter commitments ... do you suppose that jet could just continue on over to Aussie-land? so we could visit with MiraB?

QNSue ... WOW! have you ever been busy!!!! Look forward to seeing your many neew blocks! Have a Happy Easter with your friends, if we don't see you again til after.

MiraB ... mmmmmm!!!! BBQ'd fresh fish!!! Here's hoping they get lots of bites. What kind of fish will it be?

Update ... At the Depot has now joined the Apple Tree in the finished blocks. I've got a good start on A Beauty, and it won't take long to finish it up tomorrow. Then I can photo and post as I have their partners already done. Then only one more block to do, and then I can post to the 15-Milestone!!

Good Night One and All!!

QuiltE, DH fishes for fresh water barramundi. Everyones welcome to visit me anytime. I have been powering along in my sewing room this weekend.
    Finished my medallion quilt
    Finished my machine embroidered blocks, just have to piece it together
    Only have 2 more sampler blocks to make for a beginner class I am teaching at my club, (they will be finished today)
    Tomorrow is PC day all day
    And then Monday might be clean up day as Tuesday I have visitors arriving
    Here is a pic of my medallion, hope you don't mind me posting it here..hope the pic turns out, DH and DS were grumbling it was too big to hold so we hung it on the clothes line and played spin the clothes line to get the best light. Wish I was videoing my men that would have been worth watching.
    Karen

Glad that I went and checked a few threads before heading to bed ... though seeing a quilt so beautiful, MiraB, I may not be able to sleep now. It's so fresh and crisp ... and so many different styles and techniques. Awesomely Stunning!!!!!

Of course, I've never heard of barramundi!!! Though thanks to the wonders of Google, I can see that they are no tiny fish .... and quite tasty! Hope the catch is good ... and ENJOY your delicious Easter Fish BBQ!

MiraB, that is stunning. I love medallion quilts. Your colors are so pretty. I love all the different borders and you got them all to fit perfectly. Beautiful!!
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Beautiful quilt, Mirabelle. Isn't great finishing projects? And no, I seldom fix fish 'cause I do not know enough about cooking them. I was raised with pork, beef, and chicken. Fried chicken every Sunday with home made ice cream. Usually, Chocolate. Homegrown garden and canned goods.

Mirabelle...thanks for sharing the pic of your quilt. It's gorgeous!

late again.... sheesh Im even late for the catch up LOL

you gals sure are fun to read
    Candace is Deranged
    so many babies.. sew little quilts

Yeeeehaww!! Just posted my blocks for Weeks 1, 2 and 3!

Hear Ye! Hear Ye!!
    The Sizzling Spring Break Special is here ..............

I went into the local mill outlet the other day for a FQ of sky. Didn't find what I wanted, but, look what jumped into my arms and said. "Take me out of here. Take me home. I'm yours! And please share me with the PC Ladies"

So I obeyed ..............
    Name:  PCUSA 002.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  1.56 MB
    I'll be including some of each in my PC, in honour of my new American friends!!!
    Now if I could only find some equally as nice for Canada, Brazil, Netherlands and Australia!

Any other PC Clubbers, who would like some .. PM me with your snail address, and it'll be on it's way to you!
    DublB ... I've reserved some for you, already!

And if I wasn't harrassed enough, this other fabric was just as ornery!!!!
    Same deal ... let me know and it'll be on its way, too!!
    ♥Patches♥ ... Yours is already saved!!

Name:  PCUSA 003.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  1.58 MB

Looks like those photos aren't the best ... perhaps these might be a bit better?

Name:  PCUSA 007.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  1.45 MB

Name:  PCUSA 006.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  1.62 MB

Love it; I pm'd you; a 4 inch by 18 inches would be wonderful of both pieces. I also found some yellow for your quilt, so please pm or email me. Love the photos you posted!!

What else I did this week...

The last couple of days when I got chance to go to my craft room I worked on cards for a class I am teaching this week. The one could be used as a graduation card. The other for most anything.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast