Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: THE FWS PONY CLUB QUILT-ALONG Week 1 Discussion Page A Beauty & A Dandy

freezer paper in the printer is fine...

What type of printers? .... Inkjets? or Lasers?
    Does it not melt? ... that's what we want it to do when we iron it onto the fabric.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Some of you may be noticing that JanRN has been MIA.

She aked me to let you know that she is disappointed to not be here for the Pony Club start. Her Mother is facing some medical challenges right now, so I'm sure you all know where she is ... from one appointment to the other, and then helping care for Mom. She'll be saddling up and joining us as soon as life settles a little.

In the meantime, I think she's actually riding in the back corner of the conestoga wagon, and getting some sleep when she can.

JanRN ... My thoughts and prayers are with you and your Mom! {{{{{HUGS}}}}}
    I wondered where you've been Jan, I've missed you! Hope all goes well with you mother. It is so hard when we become caregivers to our parents. My folks have been gone for a long time now, but remember how it was "back then".

Is there a different freezer paper than the stuff I buy on a roll like waxed paper?
    I'd be scared to put it thru my printer!
    Sure would be easier to do it that way, than to have to trace everything on.

I'm not a Y-fan person either. But who is??
    I found PPing the saving grace for the FWS ones that needed to be done. The Candlequilter block in the summer was probably the first Y-PP I did and it slid together nicely, so I was sold!
    Freezer paper is white with wax on one side. I grew up calling it butcher paper.
    Here's how I did it. I cut my freezer paper 8.5" x11" then ironed it onto some copy paper. I ran that through the printer, & then took it off of the copy paper. When I cut the templates out of the freezer paper I cut 'em out on the dotted line (the finish shape.) These were ironed onto my fabric. I then used my pinking blade in my rotary cutter & using my ruler, cut a 1/4 seam allowance. I used pins to line up my blocks like this lady does.

http://dquilts.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-i-freezer-paper-piece.html

Since this block has so many Y seams I backed stitched at each corner. This was the first time to use this method & boy do I like it.
    Last edited by dublb; 01-05-2012 at 08:46 PM.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Jan & Termi My prayers are with you!
    Bev

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    Freezer paper is white with wax on one side. I grew up calling it butcher paper.
    Here's how I did it. I cut my freezer paper 8.5" x11" then ironed it onto some copy paper. I ran that through the printer, & then took it off of the copy paper. When I cut the templates out of the freezer paper I cut 'em out on the dotted line (the finish shape.) These were ironed onto my fabric. I then used my pinking blade in my rotary cutter & using my ruler, cut a 1/4 seam allowance. I used pins to line up my blocks like this lady does.

Since this block has so many Y seams I backed stitched at each corner. This was the first time to use this method & boy do I like it.
    Thanks for the link and the help!

Yes, that's what I think of as freezer paper. I haven't seen white here, just the brown/pink what I call butcher paper, too!
    Are you using a laser or inkjet printer?
    I'm still really hesitant in running it thru my laser printer as the paper gets hot when printing.
    If the two papers stick to each other, and you peel it apart, how is there any stick/wax left to stick to the fabric later?

Will read the link before I tackle A Beauty ... not sure when that'll be, as I still have those FWS blocks I promised myself I MUST do first!!

Thanks for the link and the help!

Yes, that's what I think of as freezer paper. I haven't seen white here, just the brown/pink what I call butcher paper, too!
    Are you using a laser or inkjet printer?
    I'm still really hesitant in running it thru my laser printer as the paper gets hot when printing.
    If the two papers stick to each other, and you peel it apart, how is there any stick/wax left to stick to the fabric later?

Will read the link before I tackle A Beauty ... not sure when that'll be, as I still have those FWS blocks I promised myself I MUST do first!!
    This is funny. While you were posting here I was answering you in the picture thread.
    My printer is a inkjet. So it doesn't get that hot. Why don't you try one first & see how it does before you go through the trouble of doing the blocks & it not working.
    Bev

This is funny. While you were posting here I was answering you in the picture thread.
    My printer is a inkjet. So it doesn't get that hot. Why don't you try one first & see how it does before you go through the trouble of doing the blocks & it not working.

I'm still not sure ... too worried about ruining the printer.
    Maybe someone will post about using a laser?

Hey MiraB ... nothing wrong with being organized and ahead of the game! We always need trailblazers. Besides, you folks down under are ALWAYS ahead of us!

So ... how about some hints for me on that dastardly A Beauty! Did you take note that I left it for block #2 (or perhaps #42?) and went the easy route for my starter block!!
    I used templates and just sewed to the dots. The "y" seams were much easier than I expected...I had not done any in quilting although in garment sewing...several of the seams have to be pressed open but it all lays pretty flat. Be brave and just do it!

Thanks! ... I'm sure it'll all work out. Just looks scary, because there are so many in one block.

Just about to post my latest FWS ... and still have another couple I MUST do, before I can do another PC!

I marked the 1/4" seams on the fabric and sewed from one crossing point to the other. Don't sew into the 1/4 " seam!
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Better late than never; finally posted my first 2 blocks. Thank you all for the kind notes and thoughts. I finally got to see all of your blocks and helpful hints. These blocks aren't easy but the sure are beautiful. I love the fabrics everyone is using--how unique each one is.. Love them all.

Earlier someone was looking for Donkey Fabric. Checked at LQS where I got it and it was sold out (who'd have thought that???) but if you're interested, FavoriteFabrics (QB name) here on QB had some last year. You could check with her to see if she has any more.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

"Sew" good to see you here around the ol' corral, Pardner!

You're still ahead of me!! ... I did one and the other is waiting til I get to less than 20 FWS blocks to make. That's only two away now!

And you were fretting about those Y-seams? Looks to me like you nailed them pretty good!
    And what? no donkeys in those first blocks?

Quote Originally Posted by mirabelle View Post
    Hi QuiltE
    Not being a fan of Y seams I decided to print the templates onto freezer paper, iron this to my fabric, I then carefully cut each piece out with scissors not rotary cutter. I then drew on my 1/4 inch seam allowance in pencil so I could see where to stop at each corner. I also did a few reserve stitches so it wouldn't unravel on me. It was slow going but was pleased with the end result. Good luck
    Mirabelle, Thanks for this tip. IŽll try your method with the freezer paper next Y block.

Thank you for the link and clear instructions. I need to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by ArteEmCasa View Post
    I send that, sounds like a great way to do these blocks!!!

Your welcome. I hope it works for you as well as it did for me!
    Bev

Whew!! I finished block one and two and started on block three....redid block three and redone it the third time before the size was right. The block was not hard; but I had a hard time with myself in getting it right .

It reminded me on a trail ride, riding behind one another, the view in front of you is a north-end of a pony going south. Opposite of the head, you have the tail end, right? You watch your pony's ears, because they tell you if he is going to "act up"; you watch the tail of the pony in front of you, to see if that pony is going to lift his tail and let go..so you can swing your pony around quickly and miss the action. See what you are missing sitting in front of your sewing machine? Those good old days. lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
    Whew!! I finished block one and two and started on block three....redid block three and redone it the third time before the size was right. The block was not hard; but I had a hard time with myself in getting it right .

It reminded me on a trail ride, riding behind one another, the view in front of you is a north-end of a pony going south. Opposite of the head, you have the tail end, right? You watch your pony's ears, because they tell you if he is going to "act up"; you watch the tail of the pony in front of you, to see if that pony is going to lift his tail and let go..so you can swing your pony around quickly and miss the action. See what you are missing sitting in front of your sewing machine? Those good old days. lol!!!
    Great reminiscing QNS!

Oh what a good story, QNSue ... I can't tell horse stories, but could give some cow ones! And certainly know the meanings of the tail going up! Many a time in the barn I've pushed the naive along the walkway to miss an episode!

Keep these stories coming ... it's going to make the ride along the way oh so much more fun and interesting!!

As for me and my blocks ... I did A Dandy, and kept to my bargain of not doing A Beauty til I had atleast two more FWS blocks done. I got them done and am now at 94/111. Only problem is that life and work (the paying stuff!) has gotten in the way. So I am hoping to get back soon and get A Beauty done, or at least one of this week's blocks done. My bargain this week is .... I can already do the 2nd block. And I'll allow myself to do the 3rd whenever I choose. However ... the 4th can't be done til I am at least past block #100!

And that's my story ... and I'm sticking to it!
    Last edited by QuiltE; 01-10-2012 at 06:23 PM.

[QUOTE=
    It reminded me on a trail ride, riding behind one another, the view in front of you is a north-end of a pony going south. Opposite of the head, you have the tail end, right? You watch your pony's ears, because they tell you if he is going to "act up"; you watch the tail of the pony in front of you, to see if that pony is going to lift his tail and let go..so you can swing your pony around quickly and miss the action. See what you are missing sitting in front of your sewing machine? Those good old days. lol!!![/QUOTE]

As a totally urban person I love reading about farm living. Very interisting QuiltingNinaSue, keep those memories coming. Thanks for sharing them with us.

As for me and my blocks ... I did A Dandy, and kept to my bargain of not doing A Beauty til I had atleast two more FWS blocks done. I got them done and am now at 94/111. Only problem is that life and work (the paying stuff!) has gotten in the way. So I am hoping to get back soon and get A Beauty done, or at least one of this week's blocks done. My bargain this week is .... I can already do the 2nd block. And I'll allow myself to do the 3rd whenever I choose. However ... the 4th can't be done til I am at least past block #100!

And that's my story ... and I'm sticking to it!
    You are doing a great bargain. It is working and soon all your FWS blocks will be done. Great way to be motivated with the two.

You are doing a great bargain. It is working and soon all your FWS blocks will be done. Great way to be motivated with the two.
    Thanks ArtEC ... I feared that I might get too involved with PC and could lose my motivation with FWS, so decided I'd have to have some progress goals to keep me on track. Plus not to get sidelined with the two different colorways I'm working with. Aside from the fact all the fabric for both. Soon the FWS fabrics can return to the stash, and some I've already spotted to move into the PC potentials!! Then I'll be away to the races and doing the sashing etc. which will be OK while doing the PC.

So much for posting my pictures. The system here is rejecting them.

Alas!! My luck is not good on the computer today and cannot post pictures of my blocks taken by my digtal camera. Will try to scan on dh computer and bring them on a flash drive later. Enjoying everyone else's pictures so much; wish I were a bit smarter today and could bring the photos in. I have done it on the new system, but apparently not today. Sigh.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast