Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Week 4 "Basket of Flowers & Betty's Delight" Photo Page >

The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Week 4 "Basket of Flowers & Betty's Delight" Photo Page

The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Week 4 "Basket of Flowers & Betty's Delight" Photo Page

Old 02-11-2012, 04:13 PM

oksewglad,
Love your fabrics for your block. Glad that you joined the group. I knew you would.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Power Poster

JeanieG ... I'll try to remember to post it tomorrow on the Discussion thread! Remind me, please?

OKSGlad ... Like you, I saw those flowers, more as ♥s ... and yet I didn't see the Broken ♥s!! Your background fabric with the squirrels is a perfect fit ... and the colour contrasts really lets the basket pop out on top.

My squirrel stories ... at the farm, like OKSGlad they weren't really a problem as the dog helped keep them at bay! They were quite entertaining in the fall, when the walnuts were on the tree, and leaves off. You could watch them go up and down the branches and push the nuts to the ground. And once they had them all cleared, you'd see them go back up and down for a final check that all were dislodged. There'd be massive heaps of the nuts made ... which would get covered with snow in the winter. And yet by spring there was not sign of the nuts! so I guess they burrowed in the snow and ate them.

Then I moved here ... on the edge of the bush (house, deck and then the bush). I thought I'd feed the birds ... and discovered the squirrels could easily jump from the trees to the feeders and clear the feed out! The bird stores kept saying, oh just put your feeders away from there ... well, can't happen! Did get a squirrel proof feeder. Though not all birds can use it! In the end the squirrels got fatter and fatter ... and bolder and bolder. And oh then, there were the raccoons that came in and ate from the feeders! .... could reach from the railing up to the feeders.

Every once in awhile, I feed the birds for awhile ... and then when I've had enough of the squirrels ... then sorry, birds, fend for yourselves.

Now if you want some real entertainment ... get your squirrels a Squngee ... check it out here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ9cdQ-GMwk

I've seen a bunch of squirrels literally line up on my deck for this thing. I have all types ... but the grey ones were always better at the acrobatics, than the blacks or reds!
Old 02-11-2012, 11:13 PM

That squirrel video is so funny!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dublb View Post
That squirrel video is so funny!

You really should get yourself a Squngee, DublB ... when I was given it, I thought oh yea, what a waste of $. Then when I installed it, it was terrific entertainment!! Luckily for me, the corn cobs were free from the neighbour's field after the combine went thru!

Old 02-12-2012, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

I'm sewglad I put squirrels in my block--what a Hilarious tangent this took us on! Thanks QE
Old 02-12-2012, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
I'm sewglad I put squirrels in my block--what a Hilarious tangent this took us on! Thanks QE
Now you know what to do with corncobs in the field .... I couldn't believe what they were charging for them in the Bird Store. City people will pay anything!!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Now you know what to do with corncobs in the field .... I couldn't believe what they were charging for them in the Bird Store. City people will pay anything!!
That or get the GKs out there, picking them up and taking them to Farmer's markets in the fall and make some $ for college!! Had lots of down corn this year and are feeding the deer very well this winter.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

For sure... DGKs selling!!!!
Roadside stand?
One of the farmers near here put stalks of corn at the end of the lane, self-serve this year for $1 a stalk 6 for $5...... and made over $500! Decided it was the best "cash crop" he'd ever had.

It started out more as a joke after hearing what price they were at a local store. Then there's the price of decorative straw bales in the fall!!!

I used to sell sweet corn when I was a kid ... seemed like big $ to me! Loved the $ but hated picking it, as the stalks as it seemed the stalks were always wet as we had to get it early enough in the day, to have it out at my roadside stand.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:20 PM

Better late than never. Here is my Betty's Delight. I didn't make the other block because I know it would bug me to have the basket on it's side.

I love the squirrel video, I think I'll fill my bird feeders so I can watch the squirrels
Attached Thumbnails week-4-block-1.jpg  
Old 02-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Power Poster

FryGuyMoore ... Great contrasts in your Betty's Delight! neat rope fabric ... and the black crackle!
I got mine done the other night but still haven't done the Basket. Maybe I'm thinking like you, and don't like the tilt?

Save filling the bird feeders for the squirrels ... and just get them a Squngee.
Much More Entertainng!!!!!!! (for them and YOU!)
(though they did bother the bird feeders less, once they the Squngee)