Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The FWS PONY CLUB QUILT-ALONG Week 4 "Basket of Flowers & Betty's Delight" PHOTO Page

Quote Originally Posted by Too many hobbies View Post
    These blocks are so great...but what is FWS? And how can I get those patterns?

Michele in NY
    Laurie Aaron Hird wrote 2 books. I'm not sure about the name of the first one except it had Farmers Wife Sampler in it's name. The Second book is Farmer's Wife Sampler Pony Club. Last year several of these board members did the FWS club & made some wonderful blocks & I'm sure wonderful quilts. (I haven't seen 'em.) I was very excited to join this second BOW club after I had seen some of the blocks in the first club.
    Here's the thread that explains The FWS pony club.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/farmers-wife-pony-club-quilt-t170608.html

Ooops I type so slow!
    Last edited by dublb; 01-26-2012 at 04:10 PM.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I did another substitute block. I played with my fabrics & couldn't seem to make the "Basket of Flowers" work. So this is what I come up with instead.
    Name:  PC Liberty Bell.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  89.1 KB
    I'm calling this my Liberty Bell

Name:  PC Betty.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  78.2 KB
    Here's my "Betty's Delight."
    Bev

Blog Entries
    Sew creative, dublb!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Thanks! I hope I don't have too many that I have to substitute. I really want to make the PC blocks!
    Bev

They look really nice!

Here are my blocks for this week:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Oh Jeanie, the flowers are just perfect for you basket; great blue/cream combo on Betty's block. Looking at your block I think I've figured out a quick way to piece it. More later.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    I'm sending more oohs and aaaaaahs your way ... and am still really attracted to the Flower Basket!

I keep looking at the basket and wondering what the writing says?
    I tried to 'read' the fabric. It seems to be all letters. Somewhere it reads: Aunt Manon lived in my grandparents house by the ???One day, at dusk when I went to pick up......there I used the fabric so I don't know LOL......a huge flock of geese were landing at the riverbed.........
    The fabric is from Benartex by Deborah Baronas, called Riverbed (that's all what I have so it might be called .......Riverbed)
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Quote Originally Posted by mirabelle View Post
    Our DS still lives at home but he works long hours so I rarely see him, and he is every to cook for, keep it simple Mum. DH will be home for our anniversary next month so we might do something special, 34 years and counting.
    I never would have attempted the FWS without the encouragement of members of this Board and also saddle up for the PC quilt, so thank you everyone. You are a wonderful group of people.
    MiraBelle ... Congratulations on your 34 years! And look at you ... not only FWS+PC, but also SBS on the go too!

DublB ... I even recognized Liberty before, I saw your tag on it!! What was wrong with your fabrics for the Basket of Flowers? And your Betty's is a Delight!

JeanieG ... look at that bright green grass of spring with the fresh picked posies! Great combo for Betty's Delight ... look at those mini-horseshoes!

Anael ... I bet Aunt Manon lived by the ....... Riverbed!!
    Last edited by QuiltE; 01-27-2012 at 06:02 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

JeanieG,

Your blocks are so cheerful, a real treat on this overcast day. Your flowers in the basket are perfect.

In Betty's Delight, I like your teeny tiny horsehoes. The blue/ offwhite combo really works.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! It is so much fun to "get to do" these weekly blocks again. I really missed not having blocks to look forward to doing every week! Am I the only one that felt "something" was missing in my life. Does that sound weird or what! Maybe I just lead a boring life! (But I am NEVER bored.) LOL

I am so behind in the Pony Blocks, but I finished the Apple Tree today will post later. I love all the great blocks everyone has posted. Hope I can do as well as what has been posted to date.

Blog Entries
    You know Jeanie whenever I finish a project I have this, "Now what am I going to do next?" feeling even when I have tons of UFO's. After finishing the barn DQ and the school fundraiser projects sighed, said to myself, "Now what?" Easy answer--PC! So QNinaSue you'll be just a step ahead of us (QE and me)! We're all on the trail together!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Here are my blocks for the week. I'm making my PC scrappy as you can tell from my choice of fabrics.

JanieW, Leba, JanR, Wendyq: awesome basket fabrics on your blocks

Anael, JeanieG : Love the bright flowers on your baskets and the horsehoes fabrics

dubld - Liberty Bell is a great block.

Gardnergal: I really love your scraps.

All: great diferent combos for Betty's delight. Love all the blocks.

QuiltE: Thanks for being here to help Honchey and us all.

Here are my two, for this week:
    Name:  07+Basket-of-Flowers.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  131.7 KB
    Basket of Flowers

Name:  08+Betty's_Delight.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  164.4 KB
    Betty's Delight

Ohhh how pretty Arte! Love that lavender!

QNSue ... you can't be as far behind as OKSGlad and I!

JeanieG ... I must paraphrase your line ... To many I have a boring life, but they don't realize I am never bored!

GGal ... there's nothing wrong with those scrappy blocks! Love the double weave, in the background and on the basket! Well done for those stripes for Betty!

Anael ... Glad to help, though I'm not really doing anything. The rest of you are doing the work!

Hey Ya'll - I'm so excited seeing all of ya'll's blocks! Those points are awesome!
    Mirabelle - Congrats on 34 yrs! I'm 5 yrs behind ya.
    Jeanie - Love that bright green! At first I didn't notice the green in the leaves matched the background!
    The blues & cream are perfect together.
    Gardenergal - Wow! Your color combos are so different, yet are perfect together.
    ArtEmCasa - Lovely flowers & such a nice basket.
    Again, Everybody's points are great!

QuiltE - I played with the patriotic fabric & it wouldn't make a very good basket. Then the background ????? Should it be the blue with the stars or the cream? What should I use for the flowers??? The bells. No too they're too big. One of the creams? No, they didn't look right. The flags? No too big again. I threw my hands up & made the Liberty Bell.
    Bev

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    Hey Ya'll -
    QuiltE - I played with the patriotic fabric & it wouldn't make a very good basket. Then the background ????? Should it be the blue with the stars or the cream? What should I use for the flowers??? The bells. No too they're too big. One of the creams? No, they didn't look right. The flags? No too big again. I threw my hands up & made the Liberty Bell.
    I hear ya! Though sometimes we try to make it to much the likeness of the original pattern block. Sometimes, just stretch out a little. I know the larger prints would be too large ... though your smaller ones mixed together would probably do the trick for you! Or perhaps look for some more blenders that will mix and match just right when the spaces are just too small for what you have?

Just remember ... it's your quilt! We each need to give ourselves the permission to go off trail to create our own unique results. Good for you for letting your creativity roll on your Liberty block!

Blog Entries
    Gardnergal and ArteEmCasa baskets are great, fussy cutting flowers so precise! You know that Betty block is so symmetrical and everyone's doing such a good job of contrasting the fabrics.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    I hear ya! Though sometimes we try to make it to much the likeness of the original pattern block. Sometimes, just stretch out a little. I know the larger prints would be too large ... though your smaller ones mixed together would probably do the trick for you! Or perhaps look for some more blenders that will mix and match just right when the spaces are just too small for what you have?

Just remember ... it's your quilt! We each need to give ourselves the permission to go off trail to create our own unique results. Good for you for letting your creativity roll on your Liberty block!
    Thanks -I realize I should have waited to pick out my fabric till after I had seen the blocks. I do like this lovely fabric. I'm just realizing that several of the blocks aren't right for the fabric. I do think that most will be great & then I'll make several substitutes.
    Bev

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    Thanks -I realize I should have waited to pick out my fabric till after I had seen the blocks. I do like this lovely fabric. I'm just realizing that several of the blocks aren't right for the fabric. I do think that most will be great & then I'll make several substitutes.
    Your doing a wonderful job so far dublb! Like QuiltE said, it is your quilt! No one but you will know that you changed a few blocks! You go girl!

Thanks Ya'll!!
    Bev

Blog Entries

My blocks for this week

I am late this week was baby sitting my great grand baby Love everyones blocks they are beautiful

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast