Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 10 Country Lanes & Cowboy's Star Discussion Page >

THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 10 Country Lanes & Cowboy's Star Discussion Page

THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 10 Country Lanes & Cowboy's Star Discussion Page

Old 03-08-2012, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by mirabelle View Post
Hi Termi
If you lay out your pieces you will see that the top edge of the five sided piece lines up with the side edge of the star unit. I also drew on my 1/4 inch seam allowance as I remove my paper before sewing the units together. It also gives you the dot point where to stop sewing and turn. Hope this makes sense to you

mirabelle thank you, thank you!!!! I get it now, great idea to leave the paper on or draw the 1/4" seam allowance.
Back to the sewing room!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by mirabelle View Post
Hi Termi
If you lay out your pieces you will see that the top edge of the five sided piece lines up with the side edge of the star unit. I also drew on my 1/4 inch seam allowance as I remove my paper before sewing the units together. It also gives you the dot point where to stop sewing and turn. Hope this makes sense to you

mirabelle thank you, thank you!!!! I get it now, great idea to leave the paper on or draw the 1/4" seam allowance.
Back to the sewing room!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
Guess I'm weird, but I honestly did not have a problem with the PPing of the Cowboy Star. It seemed to go together just fine. I leave the paper on till I am ready to piece it all together (I know that's not what you are supposed to do). I find I can match the seams better this way. And, I too, use the starch to stabilize each section....really helps. I've made several of these blocks ahead, so can't address a particular problem, but I have found that some of the PPing patterns need a bit of "tweaking" for me to do them. That's just me......some I have problems with, other's I just breeze through. This board is wonderful for helping...... A lot of talented people here.....And I never have a problem with asking for help.......
wendiq, I'm glad you said it, that the PP patterns need a bit of tweaking. I thought it was just me.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:12 AM

It must have been terribly difficult to make all these patterns conform to the different methods of construction. I am in no way criticizing the way in which they are presented. I just have a problem with doing some of them.....just me, I'm sure......they are still a lot of fun and I appreciate having them on the CD to access. I have no idea how you all do them so well, but I admire them......and just keep plugging along. The blocks I see posted here are so inspirational......every single one!!!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:57 AM

As with snowflakes with no two being alike. sewers, blocks, machines follow the same vein. what's easy for me might be difficult for you and as hard as I try I cannot sew a straight seam by hand or machine..I use guides all the time.
I do love the challenge of different blocks and wonder "how did she get the points so perfect" "why is it so easy for her to do it not pping when I pp and it still comes out wonky" it's because we're "different" in the way we sew, cut and press....and ....that's what makes each of us "Special"and our blocks as well!
Old 03-09-2012, 05:36 PM

I just got back from 2 weeks of grandparenting and helping out my son and DIL. We got ourselves a beautiful leap year baby boy. He is such a cute, good little guy.

I am trying to catch up on all the blocks I missed. The only one left to do is cowboy star and just looking at the pattern, I am not that eager to make it. It may be because I am so tired, but it looks so difficult. I am going to cut the fabric tonight and give it a try tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Old 03-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

Congratulations, G'ma. They are a treasure.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Power Poster

Howdyyyyyyyy Pardners!

I'm baaaaaaaaaack!!!
And I feel like I've been gone forever ... have been having withdrawals!!!

Good to see you back with us
JanieW ... what a special Lil Guy you have, and no doubt lots of spoiling in years to come, being that he really only has a "birthday" one in four! Hey, Brier isn't over yet .... and big game tonight between our guys and the Manitoba ones, so no doubt the other Grands will be tuned right into that one!

About the 5 sided PPing (and other Y-seams) .... I stab a pin thru matching points on the two pieces. Leave those stabbed pins in, while I properly pin the seam I am about to sew. Then sew from start to end of the eam, and where it Y's I stop right on the Y-corner (don't stitch past as we normally would). Then pin the next section of the Y in the same way and sew. Just be sure that where you start and end is the same place, so you don't have any holes!

If you're still confuzzled please let me know and I'll try to do some photos for you another time.

And now ... I'm off to bed, and will catch up on all the posts I've missed, sometime on the weekend!!
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 03-10-2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey View Post
As with snowflakes with no two being alike. sewers, blocks, machines follow the same vein. what's easy for me might be difficult for you and as hard as I try I cannot sew a straight seam by hand or machine..I use guides all the time.
I do love the challenge of different blocks and wonder "how did she get the points so perfect" "why is it so easy for her to do it not pping when I pp and it still comes out wonky" it's because we're "different" in the way we sew, cut and press....and ....that's what makes each of us "Special"and our blocks as well!
​Well said Anne, I agree totally!
Old 03-10-2012, 02:45 PM

Totally agree, ladies, as to different strokes, different folks. I learned so much from doing the FWSQ on QB and having done an "I Spy" quilt for a baby, the Cowboy Star was not as bad as I thought it might be. I cut out the templates and glue them on light cardboard, punch out small holes where the lines intersect and transfer where the "hole" is onto the back of the fabric with a gel pen. I sewed each piece to the "dot" and stopped, doing the triangles first, like someone here suggested and it went together like a charm. Maybe if I get photos taken, will post tomorrow. Honchey, the Cowboy Star may have some familiar looking pieces in it...just like in the PC book.