Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Pony Club  WK 20  Girl's Joy & Grandmother's Favorite Discussion Page >

The FWS Pony Club WK 20 Girl's Joy & Grandmother's Favorite Discussion Page

The FWS Pony Club WK 20 Girl's Joy & Grandmother's Favorite Discussion Page

Old 05-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

DublB ... yes, sometimes we don't notice it, as we are ignoring reality!

OKSGlad ... I wish I had gotten those lessons! I'd really like to take a class (or series of classes) about colour and design. I know it would sink in so much more, if I was doing things along with it. I saw it on one of the Blogs where a LQS was doing it, and each time they were given an assignment to go home and make a quilt block based on the colour theory being used. NOw that's where it'd hit home for me.]

Congratulations Mme Judge! We should send in entries for your Fair!!! You could always take entries to another Fair! Here there's usually one Judge for the quilting related classes, different one for the sewing knitting and other needlework and another for the arts type classes. In the end, you could Judge one, and often have quilting type items to enter for the other Judges.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

Ok I am seeing a challenge here QE. We were wondering what to do when PC trail dust has settled. What if we do an exploration of design elements and art principles. Oh Lord do I stick my neck out and say, I"ll put it together? As a leader I have overseen 4-Her's create a "Design Note book". Another year a 4-H er led a group of kids to do one as well. I was her adult sponsor. While the kids made up their notebooks I chose to make one with quilts to reinforce Darcy's examples and to be an active participant in the group. Just food for thought.
OBTW--county fair is a very small fair. Judging is to take only a couple of hours.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:23 AM

I got a book several months ago that explored color like QuiltE talked about but I've never done much with it. I would definitely do something like that. OKSewglad, it sounds like you are more than qualified to lead such a troop. Color and their values are such a challenge to me. I usually try to pick out a major fabric and then pick shades of colors that I find in it. It doesn't always give me the zip the quilt needs and the other times, it's too over the top.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

OMG OKSGlad .... that's be absolutely awesome
You can count me in on your Very Sr. 4-H Club!!!!!!!!
It'd be absolutely perfect, as I'd be paced and "have" to do the tasks .... and would totally be able to

"Learn To Do By Doing"

For the non-4-H'ers ... this is the 4-H Motto and all the club work is based on it.

Bless You! Bless You!! Bless You!!!
Old 05-28-2012, 12:30 PM

I would also be interested in doin' this. Thanks OK.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

Although we think of color initially in a quilt there are so many aspects to design. And color is a good starting point.

As the embers burn down around the holiday campfire--conversations about taking flowers to the cemeteries in remembrance take hold. "We made a special trip to Jack G's grave this year. Thought it was a nice gesture to place flowers on the Civil War Veterans grave known to us only as DFIL G'pa Jack. 150 years ago he left for the war, and thankfully returned. His grand daughters burned the letters to and from soldier and wife--letters were too personal they thought. I gasped in horror when I learned that. So much to learn from a set of correspondense like that."

"Say has anyone made ginger tea? G'ma Enid always used to make it--guess it was the refreshing drink during the
Dust Bowl days. I found a recipe--just made it and poured over a glass of ice cubes. Has a little sweet kick to it. "

3/4 c honey or brown sugar (I used raw sugar)
1 c. vinegar (I used cider)
2t. ground ginger
Add water to fill 2 qt jar.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

What a lovely family story OKSGlad ... celebrations and memories, amidst your Memorial Day festivities.

Your Ginger Tea ... must have some pucker power to it! Kind of a sweet-sour mix, along with the spicy snap. hhmm? would it kind of be like Ginger Ale without the bubbles? And did everyone like it?

Dear American Friends ... hope you all made a trip down memory lane this weekend! and too, that you enjoyed that extra day in the weekend.

(Of course, you had that extra day,
OKSGlad ... NOT! Though I'm so happy that you take the time to include it in your farm schedule)
Old 05-29-2012, 04:00 AM

Hey, PC riders, we are just on week 20; please do not gallop ahead to the next project that might happen. It's Ok to brainstorm, but I wanna enjoy this trail ride until its has run its course.

I like Honchey's leadership through FWSQ and now PC. If she does another project on QB, I would consider doing the project.

I am working on this week's blocks, modifying the Y seams in Gold nugget to pieces of pie put together. The "Gretchen" is hunter's point block with a different name...many blocks have many different blocks. I wonder if the pattern traveled with the settlers moving West, and not remembering the former name, therefore, they simply called by a different name than what it was supposed to be called??? Start a rumor around a circle by whispering it to the next person in the circle, and it will change at least four or five times.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:41 AM

Well it's Tuesday morning with my cup of coffee and no new eye candy. Plus I'm in Tx without my sewing machine. I've been really busy until today bur I know I would have found time to at least feel the fabric and look at my blocks. I've put in several hours in the hot sun the past few days picking produce for the Farmer's market. I've not been terribly active the last few years so I'm really surprising myself that I'm not getting stiff or sore. There has to be some muscle memory in there someplace that is enjoying being used again instead of protesting. I have my blocks all done for week 21 but I can't upload them from my iPad. I'll have fresh eye candy next Tuesday after I get back to Indiana. Until then I'll enjoy riding along seeing wha all of your post.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:53 AM

I got this week's blocks finished yesterday...needed to make Gold Nuggets twice. I ended up doing it like Captain's Wheel...PP'd with 5 pieces.

QNS--I agree Honchey's doing a great job! I wasn't involved with FWSQ, but with this quilt I am very happy with her leadership as well as all the input of others. I think it is just fun to discuss other projects...don't think anyone is planning to stop this to do something else. Who knows, maybe Laurie will write another FW quilt book for us to make.

Have a great day!
Carrie

Last edited by carriem; 05-29-2012 at 04:56 AM.