Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Pony Club  WK 20  Girl's Joy & Grandmother's Favorite Discussion Page >

The FWS Pony Club WK 20 Girl's Joy & Grandmother's Favorite Discussion Page

The FWS Pony Club WK 20 Girl's Joy & Grandmother's Favorite Discussion Page

Old 05-26-2012, 04:30 AM

Thank you all for this discussion. Sometimes we think "why me?" until we realize we're not the only one with challenges. I haven't had much time to chat with yinz this week between working all week and running back and forth to the rehab center. Yinz keep me sane--laughing, oohing & aahing, sympathizing, etc. Thank you.
QE I can't wait to see the results of your collage class-have lots of fun!
Question: do you think I've been married to DH for too long? We were running errands the other day and passed a bright red, newly painted red barn. He says: "that would be a perfect place for a Barn Quilt". Huh? Where did that come from? I just started laughing and realized that he does occasionally pay attention to what I say or show him!!
Have a great long week-end everyone. I have to work all next week too so will be lurking on the sidelines.
Peace-Jan
Old 05-26-2012, 05:35 AM

Yep, QuiltE, I have made lots of lemonade, but no hard cider...that's the way it has been with 46 years of marriage and working full time. Sometimes dh wasn't worth 2 cents and other times a million or two. That's life, I guess.

Neither one of us is perfect and that is why the FWSQ has two blocks included: one contrary husband, one contrary wife. We know where our children got it from. At least, we kept it in the same household.

On that note, off to the quilting room and count my blessings. Thanks everyone for the kind words on QB for everyone; love everyone of you.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
Yep, QuiltE, I have made lots of lemonade, but no hard cider...that's the way it has been with 46 years of marriage and working full time. Sometimes dh wasn't worth 2 cents and other times a million or two. That's life, I guess.

Neither one of us is perfect and that is why the FWSQ has two blocks included: one contrary husband, one contrary wife. We know where our children got it from. At least, we kept it in the same household.

On that note, off to the quilting room and count my blessings. Thanks everyone for the kind words on QB for everyone; love everyone of you.
What a wonderful post, QNS. You really summed it up. I love your attitude. Thank you for posting this today.

As I am waiting for my 4 year old twin grandsons to come and pick me up to go to the farmer's market this morning, I am really touched by your words.

I am having my own issues with an elderly parent. My situation is somewhat dysfunctional as it has been forever. It is really touching to know that I am not the only one who sews for therapy. Right now I am working on my preemie quilts as well as a baby quilt for my DIL's friend who is having an at risk pregnancy. Putting together these quilts is keeping me relatively sane.

It is so comforting to know there are others who understand.

Thanks to you all. Big hugs for everyone,

Janie
Old 05-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

Quilting, the thread that binds.

Have a fun workshop, QE and fill us in on the details when you get back.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

Day One ... I'm back!!
Tired, pooped, exhausted ...... and wishing there was someone whipping up a supper for me!
Guess it'll be an apple omelette with cheese ... one of my all time favourite default meals.
Intense ... well, kinda sorta.
Of course, the heat and no a/c didn't help either.
The intense part ... of course, wanting to do a good job.
We've been talking about perspective ... I did go with the mindset that if it wasn't for me, then, I would leave with an appreciation of what/how it's done.

Worse part is working at a table normal height, bent over to do all the slicing and dicing of the fabric .......... and one dreadfully sore back, hip and leg.
Tomorrow, I'm taking my bed risers to life the table up. I'm not sure if it'll be too late, but will try.

Three "exercises" .... each time preceeded by a demo done by the artist to help us understand the technique.
One ... create an emotion. Oh right .. I am SO not into airy-fairy-ideas.
Two ... we drew two colours from a bag, and had to do a piece transitioning from one to the other. At least that was more up my alley
Three ... we chose a photo that showed texture, and then had to create that photo with fabrics.

It sure isn't something to do unless you like creating a mess. Now think of all these itty-bits chopped and all over the place!!!
And oh ... all the FMQ rules we've learned, are out the window!!!

Sorry ... not pics ... I promise, I will do some for you after tomorrow.
And I have no idea what is in store for us then.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back to the perspective talk ......
Life throws us all some blows at times and it's important to put things in perspective and not let them take control of us, beyond what is realistic.
Whether the worse of times and the best of times, it's important to take care of "me" ... as if I truly believe that if you don't take care of yourself, first and foremost, you can't do all the taking care of everyone else. Whether it be a few moments a day or many moments .... it's vital to our inner balance and harmony and in order for us to survive.

And when I don't keep that balance ... I am not an easy person to live with myself.

Guess what? ... how do I survive? ... sewing, quilting!!!
A friend of mine knows when I've been away from it too long, and reminds me that I haven't been near the machine ..... without even knowing so. They just "know".

One final thought about the taking care ....
.... a quote that I read several years ago, that has stuck in my mind, and the essence of taking care of "me" ............
"Saying NO, is saying YES, to yourself!!!"

Often times if we would just say NO, we would take care of ourselves, oh so easily!

Good Night!!! .... some supper and then off to lalala land!
Old 05-26-2012, 05:48 PM

QuiltE - Thanks for the thoughts. You put into words what I finally figured out after my DMIL had lived w/me for 4 months. I was exhausted & everyone was worried about me, especially DH. I spent my day & part of the night (She woke up & wandered the house) takin' care of her. At least I didn't have ta cook, clean, or do laundry. DH & DS did all of that 'cause I really didn't have time ta do 'em. One Friday in June I thought I had ta see DS's school councilor. So DMIL & I got into the car, (I had ta take her w/me everywhere,) & drove ta the HS. On the way over I passed a house w/a sign that said Amazing Grace Assisted Living Facility. When I got ta the HS there was a sign on the door saying that it was closed on Fridays in the summer. So I went right back to Amazing Grace. I realized that I could not take care of her indefinitely. Ta make a long story short I was so impressed that within a week we had her there. (I did check out some referrals first.) I'm very happy w/her there. Now I can take care of myself, & I sew.
PS Sleep well!
Old 05-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

Amazing Grace sure had a double meaning for you that day!
Hallelujah!!!!!! ... that you heeded it's call.
What a good DDIL you must be.

And yes now zzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!
Old 05-26-2012, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Amazing Grace sure had a double meaning for you that day!
Hallelujah!!!!!! ... that you heeded it's call.
What a good DDIL you must be.

And yes now zzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!
I do believe it was a "call." I had passed it daily going ta pick up the kids in the carpool, but never noticed it till I needed ta.
Again, sleep well.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Power Poster

Oh the funny turns life takes; yes it's all about perspective. dublb you saw the sign because you were subconsiously looking for it that day.

QE I laughed when you said

One of the things I learned in design elements (4-H showing thru again). Was horizontal lines express calmness, vertical excitement. Think of the warm colors and cool colors of the color wheel. Balance-symmetrical is formal, asymmetrical informal. Texture- satins smooth elegant; denim rugged tough. Then it's not so airy fairy, but based on actuality. Can't you tell I was a county fair 4-H judge?

Oh I forgot to tell you guys. I'm judging the "Carrying on Tradition" in the open class county fair this June! Includes quilting, crocheting, knitting and other types of handwork. I'm just a little bit excited about it. Guess I won't be taking anything to the Fair.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Oh the funny turns life takes; yes it's all about perspective. dublb you saw the sign because you were subconsiously looking for it that day.

QE I laughed when you said

One of the things I learned in design elements (4-H showing thru again). Was horizontal lines express calmness, vertical excitement. Think of the warm colors and cool colors of the color wheel. Balance-symmetrical is formal, asymmetrical informal. Texture- satins smooth elegant; denim rugged tough. Then it's not so airy fairy, but based on actuality. Can't you tell I was a county fair 4-H judge?

Oh I forgot to tell you guys. I'm judging the "Carrying on Tradition" in the open class county fair this June! Includes quilting, crocheting, knitting and other types of handwork. I'm just a little bit excited about it. Guess I won't be taking anything to the Fair.
Great info OK! This year enjoy bein' a judge & next year ya can enter your PC quilt! Then you'll have a goal ta finish it!