Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Pony Club wk 9 Children's Delight & County Fair Photo Page >

The FWS Pony Club wk 9 Children's Delight & County Fair Photo Page

The FWS Pony Club wk 9 Children's Delight & County Fair Photo Page

Old 07-14-2012, 06:22 AM

Have fun, QuiltE!
Old 07-14-2012, 12:12 PM

Yes, have fun, QuiltE. If I just get to a couple of shops during the hops, I feel good to give them my business and spend what the budget says I can. Members of the shop hop make up their own block, and give each customer a pattern for that block, and offer to 'sell' the fabric for the block. If you go to all the shops then your 'card' is entered into the drawing for the 'big' prize. Otherwise you enter the drawing at each individual shop, and sign your name and enjoy the 'cookie' treat. All things except ? are on sale during the hop. I do love to visit various shops and see what is new and what they feature at their shop.

I like to shop internet for things like a bolt of fabric where I can get 40% off and free shipping. $7.76 a yard for Kona, but at 40% off, that's a bargain. I have slowly built up my plain fabric, by adding a bolt of creme, butter, and maize, and Champagne; the 'butter' remains a favorite...also ordered more black than I ever thought I would.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:50 AM

QNS, 40% off & free shipping???? where...please!!!! Honchey
Old 07-16-2012, 11:53 AM

On sales, at Fabric Depot in Portland, Oregon, on a whole bolt; when you go over a certain amount the shipping is free. Also with Fabric warehouse and Quilt Plus, Indiana...Fabric Shack also has some great deals. I have ordered from each one with great satisfaction ...each has checked and re-checked with me so know what I am getting and when. I have broken my promise to myself not to back order with these businesses. At least, this has been my experience with them.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

OOPS! Forgot to report in after I hopped!

This Shop Hop is ten shops .... spread out all over SW Ontario. Because of the distance, they do it for the whole month of July. Two are my true LQS' and another is not far from me as well, though I don't go to it often. I have been to those three now, and none of the others yet.

BTW ... my FWS is hanging at the one LQS ... of which I am ecstatic, as she normally only hangs the class samples and quilts she has made, and all from fabrics from her store. My borders/sashings/cornerstones were from her store. The rest an eclectic mix from here and there! So a lot of people will see my FWS. PLUS ... a contest, to guess the # pieces in the quilt, and the person coming closest wins the PC book!

No food or beverage was served at any of the shops last year. All shops give a gift ... though they usually are quite small. Bottle of water and scratch pad at one. Another a spool of thread. Another a charm square, though inside the baggie was a 20% off in August. It'll be interesting to see what the others have.

Some have in store draws, some not. Variable as to what sales are in each store. Also, each store has a "quickie corner" ... where there is a technique or tool featured. Usually a poster display done showing how to use it, or how to do it. Set up so that self-explanatory if the staff are busy. And of course, from that they can generate sales. One had microwave potato bags. One Marti Michell Flying Geese template. Another GFG with a mini kit to make one flower! Last year I got some neat mini=kits from those displays!

This year, there was a line of batiks created with our provincial flower, the trillium that are exclusive to the Hop stores!! Each store is to have at least one things made using the fabric to give use ideas. I have bought some already and like it, though have no clue what I will do with it ... yet!

Fully stamped passports get into a lucky draw ... pretty good prizes this yr. 1st BAbylock sewing machine, 2nd Civil War BOM quilt kit, 3rd Sewing Lamp and Aurifil thread .... plus 50 other prizes! The LQS suppliers have been very generous this year, so some really good prizes to come. I;ve got my eye on a box of solid pastel fabrics, some are shots from Michael Miller ... it's absolutely luscious looking! And each store has a box in the draw.

I "might" go to the last one that's somewhat close to me tomorrow ... and i"m thinking of this weekend for some of the others. Not sure yet!!! It's a good way to spend time in the heat ......... my car is air conditioned and my home isn't! When I do the distance ones I'll probably make it an overnight or two! aaaaaaaaaah My summer holidays!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Power Poster

Always something new to find on Shop Hops--even if it's a completed FWS quilt! Congrats on the exhibition, QE.
Just found out about a Quilt Show about an hours away this weekend. QB and I are thinking of heading that way on Friday--good way to beat the heat, too.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Always something new to find on Shop Hops--even if it's a completed FWS quilt! Congrats on the exhibition, QE.
Just found out about a Quilt Show about an hours away this weekend. QB and I are thinking of heading that way on Friday--good way to beat the heat, too.

Yes ... it brought tears to my eyes, OKSGlad! When I get to the other Hop stops, I'm hoping to see some FWS quilts together as so far I have not seen any IRL. I know that at least two that are coming up, did it as a class, so hopefully. ONe that I went to has done it as a class with the Marti Michell templates, but no, there wasn't even a small sample to see. This is the woman who worships MM ... and when I said I had mine finished, she asked if I'd used MM. All I got was a big hrmpfff when I said no ... can you tell why I don't frequent her shop?

Have FUN in your Great Escape with your friend!! We'll look forward to hearing what you discover!

Old 07-17-2012, 04:11 PM

OK - Have a ball for us all!
QE - I wouldn't go back!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dublb View Post
OK - Have a ball for us all!
QE - I wouldn't go back!
I tend not to go there ... though right now it was a must if I wanted my passport stamped and into the big prize draw!! I survived!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:45 PM

Good attitude!