Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Pony Club wk 9 Children's Delight & County Fair Photo Page >

The FWS Pony Club wk 9 Children's Delight & County Fair Photo Page

The FWS Pony Club wk 9 Children's Delight & County Fair Photo Page

Old 07-11-2012, 04:00 PM

No passports yet...figured we would just get them at the first shop...is that ok or do they need to bought beforehand?? I think the 1st place we will get to is: A Quilting Bee in Mahomet, IL...I have tried to get them in order as to how they fall on Hwy 74 from west to east.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 View Post
Have you bought your passports yet?
Do you have to purchase passports for the Shop Hop?
Please do explain what this is all about!!!
(we don't ... we get a passport to be stamped at each store ... if all stamped then it goes in the lucky draw)

Woohooooooo Ladies ... good job on making your plans!
Old 07-11-2012, 04:14 PM

I've never had to pay for a passport in the past but I guess you do for this one ($5)...maybe because you get a "goody bag and fun" at each store? Here is the website with info about the shop hop: http://www.townandcountryshophop.com/
Old 07-11-2012, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by carriem View Post
No passports yet...figured we would just get them at the first shop...is that ok or do they need to bought beforehand?? I think the 1st place we will get to is: A Quilting Bee in Mahomet, IL...I have tried to get them in order as to how they fall on Hwy 74 from west to east.
I've never been to a shop hop so I don't know how it works. I just know that they advertise passports and they cost $5. I think that getting them stamped at each shop does qualify them for the prize drawing. I'll find out a lot more tomorrow. I'm going to volunteer at my LQS and be a registrar. They think that the will be over 350 guests for the hop this year and the first day is supposed to be really big. I'm excited...and I get a gift card instead of the shop getting my cash. Bonus!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:08 PM

Ya'll are gonna have so much fun!!!
Old 07-12-2012, 04:48 AM

Bev--I am sure you will be having a great time that weekend too. Guess it is the weekend to retreat!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:12 AM

I envy you all! We don't have shop hops here I hope you all have a great time
Old 07-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I can see that perhaps they are using the $5 to help finance the goodies etc.
I love sharing ideas with my LQS, though I don't think I'll share that one!

Quite the idea for the quilt kits ... though is there any "deal" ... other than the fact that like any kit, it's organized for you? And do you get your kit all at one store? or do you have to go from one to the other? Or do all the Hoppers get the individual block patterns, but not the fabrics unless they purchase the kit? I'm a little confused ... so someone please sort me out on how this works?

And,
GGal ... what does a Registrar do? ... stamp the passports?

We have the ten shop Hop all this month ... I've only been to one so far, though I am hoping to catch another couple or so this weekend. Will see, how time goes!
Old 07-14-2012, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Yes, I can see that perhaps they are using the $5 to help finance the goodies etc.
I love sharing ideas with my LQS, though I don't think I'll share that one!

Quite the idea for the quilt kits ... though is there any "deal" ... other than the fact that like any kit, it's organized for you? And do you get your kit all at one store? or do you have to go from one to the other? Or do all the Hoppers get the individual block patterns, but not the fabrics unless they purchase the kit? I'm a little confused ... so someone please sort me out on how this works?

And,
GGal ... what does a Registrar do? ... stamp the passports?

We have the ten shop Hop all this month ... I've only been to one so far, though I am hoping to catch another couple or so this weekend. Will see, how time goes!
Here's what I know today...the entire 12 blocks cost $60 so they cost each shop $6. The block from our shop had 4 fat quarters in it and the fabric was Windham so I imagine it was about $11.99 a yard although I didn't check the yardage price. If you figure it at just 1/2 yard, the fabric alone was $6 without any consideration of the cost of assembling the package. Then each shop gave out a charm to the first 300 arrivals and had some incentive items in sale. We had 15% off on any cutting tool. Each shop had a drawing for a $25 gift certificate wnd then there were the sponsors prizes but that shouldn't be the shops expense. If you think of all the advertising , etc that would go into an event like that, the $5 for the passport helps but doesn't cover the expenses they incurr. The plus side, there were a lot of new people that found our shop that wouldn't have come otherwise and many old friends choose to end their day and spend the night with us in our retreat before heading out today.

Each store was responsible for one kit and each store had a different design for how the quilt can be made up so they have a finishing kit. All hoppers could pick up a pattern at each shop even if they didn't purchase the fabric.

What I did was stamp passports, give out charms and blocks to those that had purchased them and see that they all got registered for our drawing. Then our shop also had fresh baked cookies...we did that in their little oven...coffee and cold bottled water...and information for the next shop hop and bus tours. We also kept a tally of how many people came through. By the time I left last night, there had been 268 charms given out and about 35 block yet to give out. The owners were very happy. As a registrar, we were able to give the people the attention they needed right away to make them feel comfortable and welcomed and freed up the employees to service their quilting needs/wants.

A really fun couple of days with some wonderful quilting friends!

Last edited by gardnergal970; 07-14-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like a real fun time indeed ... thanks for the run down on what all happens. Good deal on the $6 per block kits. Looks like they get a lot more fabric than is needed for just one block too! So a really good deal just to get the kits. I can see the merit in your role as a registrar and greeter ... It's so nice to be welcomed and given direction when you go into a shop. During a hop it's even more important as oft times we are new to the shop and don't know what they feature or where things are kept. Plus any of the extras that are set up for the Hop.
I've gone into shops during hops where yes, the staff are far too busy, and then they forget to stamp the passports or get people's names in the lucky draws. I'm sure you were busy with all your things to do at your desk! Good for you for volunteering and making it a better experience for all!

I'm heading off shortly to my two "local" LQS' in the Hop that's on now. Will tell you more about it when I come back,

This is only the 2nd year for this group, so it was pretty basic first time out. This time they have an exclusive batik line (for six months) of four fabrics with a trillium design. It's been selling well pre-Hop and I know a lot of the shops have already re-ordered. I'm looking forward to seeing the sample each store has created for inspiration for mine. I like the fabric, though I have no clue what I want to do with it.