Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Quilt-Along Photo Page for the First  25 Completed Blocks >

The FWS Quilt-Along Photo Page for the First 25 Completed Blocks

The FWS Quilt-Along Photo Page for the First 25 Completed Blocks

Old 01-08-2011, 07:31 AM

Roxanne, your blocks are beautiful! Wonderful colors!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:35 AM

rwquilts:
thank you!
Roxanne
Old 01-08-2011, 03:02 PM

I did it! My first 25...I'm so excited about this quilt! I love doing different blocks. I may be hooked on sampler quilts! I'm definitely warming to the idea of doing the Pony Quilt after this is finished!

I made my decision on sashing, it's going to be dark brown, like Laurie's in her books.

Also, made the big cataclysmic decision: I'm going to hand quilt this baby! I'm going to do it as QAYG (by hand). I'll quilt each block separately and then add the sashing to connect all the blocks. I really pondered this one, but I just couldn't see having it machine quilted. I wanted each block to be quilted uniquely for that block. I lap quilt and a full-size quilt is a hunka material to keep flipping around my lap. Hence the decision to do a block at a time.

So it'll take me this 15-20 months to make all the blocks. Then another, who knows?, 2 years to quilt. I have a full size quilt that I'm finishing right now. After that I have big squares to quilt on a queen. But it's not the whole thing. It's a string quilt put together so there are plain squares formed. I had it machine quilted on the strings and I'll do the plain squares.

Anywhoo....it's a gonna be a longa longa time till this baby graces my bed!

My Little Baby Block Children
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156135[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-156130.jpe  
Old 01-08-2011, 04:08 PM

Oh Wow, this is beautiful. I like your idea of the quilt as you go. I am not fond of "all over" quilting. Guess I am of the "old school" where the quilting should enhance the block. I am making this into 2 lap size quilts, so won't have so much to handle, but may break it down into smaller sections. Are you using the sashing piece that is listed in the book? It is an odd size. I may cut 1" strips to put between my blocks, what does everything think?
Old 01-08-2011, 04:24 PM

Beautiful!!
Old 01-08-2011, 04:24 PM

I'm thinking that if the sashing is an odd size, like template pieces are, then I'll just round it to a uniform size.

I was also thinking that I could sew a set of four blocks and sashing together to quilt and then just sew the sets of four together ala QAYG.

I'm also am more fond of hand quilting blocks than overall quilting. I've had some very fine machine quilting done on my quilts, but with something as fine as this quilt (that is hoping my version is fine!) I'd like to do the hand quilting.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:26 PM

Wowie That is sooo nice. GREAT job.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:08 PM

QN: Your blocks look awesome! You are doing such a great job.
I'm also going to have to do QAYG. I'll machine quilt but there's no way I'll be able to do it on my machine. I also like the individual blocks quilted to suit that particular block (does that make sense?) I started out as a handquilter and like the separate quilting in each block. Haven't decided on sashing color yet.
This is so exciting--almost time to post the next 25 blocks!!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:15 AM

Quilting Nonnie,
Beautiful!! You are so brave-handquilting (I so admire handquilting)and what a neat idea quilting it as you go.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Quilting Nonnie
I'm thinking that if the sashing is an odd size, like template pieces are, then I'll just round it to a uniform size.

I was also thinking that I could sew a set of four blocks and sashing together to quilt and then just sew the sets of four together ala QAYG.

I'm also am more fond of hand quilting blocks than overall quilting. I've had some very fine machine quilting done on my quilts, but with something as fine as this quilt (that is hoping my version is fine!) I'd like to do the hand quilting.
Quilting Nonnie, I'm thinking I would like to try to do the QAYG--but I've never done it before--would you be able to take some photos of how you do it? Anne