Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Quilt-Along  Week 17  Photo Page for Blocks  33 & 34 >

The FWS Quilt-Along Week 17 Photo Page for Blocks 33 & 34

The FWS Quilt-Along Week 17 Photo Page for Blocks 33 & 34

Old 08-21-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey
Why is it I never go to the purple & gold/orange fabrics??? I love your color combos. The block turned out so nice! Anne
The gold is actually more tan. It was very difficult to find purple and tan in the same fabric. It isn't a color combination that is very popular. I was soooooo scared to try it because I am very color challenged. In the future I think I'll stick to more traditional color schemes. But, this quilt is for ME, and I love these colors together. The more blocks I get done, the more I like it.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:36 PM

Here are my #33 & 34:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-275198.jpe   attachment-275199.jpe  
Old 10-22-2011, 03:47 AM

SC, Love your blocks!!! I have yet to do #33...just don't want to do it...someday..Just to say I did them all!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

Honchey ... have you done #33 yet?

All ... everytime I look at a group of blocks, I continue to be amazed at the differen looks they take on according to the different fabrics, or which way they are turned. Not that I don't know that yet, just that I still can't get over it!!

Here you be ...
#33 -- Farmer's Puzzle ... I really like the looks of this one, makes me think more of a bow on a gift, than a Farmer's Puzzle!
and
#34 -- Flock
Attached Thumbnails fws33-34.jpg  
Old 11-14-2011, 02:18 PM

Love them!! ( I feel like I'm following you around the QB). You really get nice contrast in your blocks; great color choices.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
Love them!! ( I feel like I'm following you around the QB). You really get nice contrast in your blocks; great color choices.
ahem!! .. isn't that what you're supposed to do? to stalk me? *giggles*

Thanks Jan ... Not all mine have the best contrast, and I'm learning a lot about contrast as I do the FWS blocks. I sure see the wow-power when I get it right , and the blah when I don't!!

Another thing I've been learning more about is how great fabricate can deteriorate when cut and sewn into tiny pieces. And too, how some icky stuff can really improve. One thing I've really come to appreciate the value of, are the mottles, and the effects they can give. Almost like they are shimmering!!

Last edited by QuiltE; 11-14-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:09 AM

QE, thank you for the eye candy! I am so glad to have you latecomers on board to continue our feast.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Evie View Post
QE, thank you for the eye candy! I am so glad to have you latecomers on board to continue our feast.
Aww thanks Evie .... and it sure is nice tha tyou Ladies are here to cheer us on.

And now I'm going to nudge you, to get your quilt done!! I SO want to SEE that Red, White and Black Beauty! At what stage are you? Pleeeeeeeeeeeease???

Do I hear anyone second this motion?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

I second the motion, QE, but would like to amend it to "in Evie's available time" All in favor say, "Aye"? Won't even ask for the Nays! Has JAGSD gotten her little beauties put together? As I trip through these pics, I feel I'm getting to know the "trail blazers" better.
QE, looking good. Your comment on how fabric changes as it's cut smaller is so true. HST cut from large scale fabrics can look dissimilar just because of the large scale. And ugly fabric is just not cut small enough. Take it from someone who uses 3/4" pieces!!
QNonnie. I have learned if it isn't right after 3 tries the 4th try isn't going to be any better! That's my maxim.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

Aye to the amendment!
And I think BeachComber needs a nudge along wiht Evie!!

Yes, that's what I've been a-learning ... and being that most of my work have been larger pieces til now, I've had larger prints for the better part. I always learn something from each project, and this time I've probably learned more in this quilt thus far than from any other project that I've done before.

Love this theory on ugly fabric ... and will be joining you in the mini-world sometime in the future! It's eating at me to give it a whirl .... and I keep sayin nooooooooo, I can't have more PhDs!