Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Quilt-Along  Week 24  Blocks 47 & 48  Photo Page >

The FWS Quilt-Along Week 24 Blocks 47 & 48 Photo Page

The FWS Quilt-Along Week 24 Blocks 47 & 48 Photo Page

Old 10-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad
Originally Posted by QuiltE
Looking here for inspiration for these and the other FWS blocks .... and WOW ... what a variety!

Isn't it amazing, how we all start with the same pattern?
and the results look so different with the various fabrics, colours and placements!

Wouldn't it be amazing to bring all the finished quilts together?

This is convincing me why the IRL LQS BOM/BOW groups would be well worth it.
A lot of the LQS BOM areound here are the same fabric as well as same patterns. In fact 3 shops in a 40 mile radius are all doing the same Marti Mitchell one. Sometimes I think the herd mentality sets into the quilting arena. Where's the boss cow who beats her own path? OH a real FW analogy!!!!
*snicker* at the Boss Cow syndrome!

Yes, why can't LQS' be a little original?
Old 10-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

Part of it is customer is not willing to strike out on their own. The shop owner wants to make sure they have enough of the given fabrics so everyone is satisfied. If owner can't get any more of a given fabric, then she's in the dog house. I was so surprised when I found out this is how a lot of LQS's do the BOM. Makes for less hassle for the LQS.

OBTW there is a BOM on the board right now; usually start in January. I started 2010's, but then several PP blocks came up and I lost my interest, as I don't care to PP no matter how many times I have made an attempt to.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad

Part of it is customer is not willing to strike out on their own. The shop owner wants to make sure they have enough of the given fabrics so everyone is satisfied. If owner can't get any more of a given fabric, then she's in the dog house. I was so surprised when I found out this is how a lot of LQS's do the BOM. Makes for less hassle for the LQS.

OBTW there is a BOM on the board right now; usually start in January. I started 2010's, but then several PP blocks came up and I lost my interest, as I don't care to PP no matter how many times I have made an attempt to.
I only started PPing at Easter this year, and have a love-hate relationship with it. However, I do see how nicely the blocks can be made ... and sometimes, it just is easier than doing the finnicky measuring!! :)
Old 11-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
I only started PPing at Easter this year, and have a love-hate relationship with it. However, I do see how nicely the blocks can be made ... and sometimes, it just is easier than doing the finnicky measuring!!
OMG ... and I said THAT? Oh how I've changed my attitude in just a month!!!
I guess the old "persistence pays" adage, has paid off!

It's such a nice reward to finish a pair of blocks, and come on and re-visit all of your beauties. I'd even forgot about some of them and the individual personalities they had taken with your fabric choices. And too, didn't remember the unique twist to simplify the Y seam issue.

#47 -- Homemaker ... Y-seams via PPing ... went with the theme for the centre fussy cut!
and
#48 -- Homeward Bound ... as someone said, how refreshing after the Homemaker!
Attached Thumbnails fws47-48b.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltE; 11-27-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

Lovely color combos, especially on the Homemaker, but such a great contrast on 48, QE.
With the blocks I have on my flannel board, the Homemaker block just shines. Guess the difficulty of sewing was worth it!
Old 11-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

Oh "sew" true .... patience is a virtue and pays well. Though as you noted with the Homeward Bound, sometimes simplicity shines thru! I was just looking at the colours .... wine in the Homemaker, dark rust for Homeward Bound. They look pretty the same on here, even when I go up to 200/400%. I'm thinking that'll be good to help me keep all blending together. Yes? No?

I have #49 all PPd and just need to join the pieces. Then the big five-oh!