Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The FWS Quilt-Along Week 43 Blocks 85 & 86 Photo Page

Wow Violet I love your Squash Blossom, really everyones blocks are beautiful. Well done :thumbup:

Thank you everyone for the compliments. The squash blossom had problems, when I took it apart and put it back together, I didn't get the center right. But it is okay. I'm not going to do any of these over, we are so near the finish.

Here are my blocks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Oh, my, what beautiful blocks!

Anne (Honcey): Your blocks are always so perfect!

GrannyQ: I still love your purples!

Weezie: I love your blocks -- and I love polka dots! (Weeize, as an after thought: Hope your DH is doing well.)

QNinaSue, Violet and Jeanie: Love your fussy-cut centers.

And everyone, love your color selections! I really have to do the "next" :lol: one scrappy so I can use those wonderful colors. But until then, here are my 3-color blocks:

Block 85 -- Square Dance
    Name:  Attachment-203809.jpe
Views: 34
Size:  109.4 KB

Block 86 -- Squash Blossom
    Name:  Attachment-203810.jpe
Views: 36
Size:  127.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Evie

And everyone, love your color selections! I really have to do the "next" :lol: one scrappy so I can use those wonderful colors. But until then, here are my 3-color blocks:
    Evie, I love your red, black and white! It will be beautiful. I understand about looking forward to the next one. I'm trying to figure out what color scheme I want to do for the Pony Quilt!

[quote=Quilting Nonnie]
    Quote Originally Posted by Evie

I'm trying to figure out what color scheme I want to do for the Pony Quilt!
    Yes, me too Quilting Nonnie. On the Yahoo site she listed some of the novelty fabrics she used on her Pony Quilt. I've collected a few of them along my travels the past 2 weeks. Don't know if I'll use them or just go with a fabric collection I like. Probably could combine the two. Decisions, Decisions!

Did everyone hear that her books came in with bad bindings. That means she has to wait until they are fixed or redone before they can be released. Several people on her Yahoo site said they had the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt rebound with spiral binding so they lay flat, I think that sounds like a real good idea. Have any of you done this???

Blog Entries
    [quote=Jeanie
    Several people on her Yahoo site said they had the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt rebound with spiral binding so they lay flat, I think that sounds like a real good idea. Have any of you done this???[/quote]

I haven't done it with this book, but I have done it on a couple of others, but they weren't as thick. I does help a lot. Doubt that I will do it with FW since I've already done the blocks.

[quote=Evie]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanie
    Several people on her Yahoo site said they had the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt rebound with spiral binding so they lay flat, I think that sounds like a real good idea. Have any of you done this???[/quote

I haven't done it with this book, but I have done it on a couple of others, but they weren't as thick. I does help a lot. Doubt that I will do it with FW since I've already done the blocks.
    I thought about it. As I'm only half way through the blocks, I think I'll go ahead and do it.

I've just taken mine to a copy place and they can spiral (the nice type) bind it. I used to do this with my piano books all the time.

Sorry I'm late!

Blocks 85 & 86

oooooh Jan! LOVE these two ;)

Kept me busy today - here's my latest

85 - Square Dance
    Name:  Attachment-210602.jpe
Views: 90
Size:  102.9 KB

86 - Squash Blossom
    Name:  Attachment-210603.jpe
Views: 68
Size:  97.9 KB

Love your reds, AuntJo. Rich with color...I love it!!

I had done Square Dance awhile back when I was jumping around and joining the group wherever they were. I think Square Dance is my favorite block I've done. I love the fabrics and how the block looks with them.

Yeaaaaaa! You're back QNonnie!
    And two lovely blocks to come back with. I really like both of them. ITA how some blocks just come together to sometimes please us more than some of the others.

Then, I have to admit, there are also some where I say, OMG what in the heck was I thinking, putting this with that. YUCK!

Your return will help spurn me into into action now. I had a lot of ones done via hopscotching like you. Have them all matched up and paired. So now every pair means I really do have to make two blocks!!! While you were gone, I got 59+60 and 65+66 done and posted. 67 is finished and waiting for it's partner, 68 the Postage Stamps soon to come. Tonight, maybe? Then I get to jump ahead to 75 the Rosebud!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Very cool! I have to check and see if I saw your latest blocks. I get the emails and I may have already seen them, but want to make sure.

Yup, pardner, we're on our way!

I have 19 more to go. I do a skip from 90 to 97. I'm beginning to see the finish line (for making blocks) somewhere out in the distance!

Yippppeeeee!!!!!
    You're waaaaaaaay ahead of me! Looks like you'll be done in time for the PC start!!!

I forget ... have you decided on cornerstones, sashing and borders yet?

I've got brown sashing. Haven't decided or border. I'm going to do a dark green back either plain or minimal pattern. I'm hand quilting and I want my quilting to show up on the back.

I'm not doing the PC. I'd like to be with the group again, but it is too much work. I got nothing done this year except for the FW. I want to work on quilts that are waiting.

Brown will be lovely!
    I'm committed to the dark green sashing. Cornerstones and setting triangles are being auditioned, though I'm pretty close to the end on that. Border ... wish I had more green, though I have FavoriteFabrics (a QB poster and business) checking to see if we can come up with a match, which would make life oh so easy!

I totally understand your reason for not being with us in the PC. I sometimes wonder why I am doing it .... though I wish I'd been part of the FWS experience from the beginning, and am looking forward to that camaraderie with the PC! Granted, I don't have much of a life, so can probably still sneak in a few extra things. Just need to get FWS blocks done! Back to my machine .... got interrupted today with a visitor! Supper is in the oven, so can let it brew away as I stitch away!
    Last edited by QuiltE; 12-30-2011 at 01:55 PM.

I have a special reward every time I finish a pair of blocks .... I get to come here and see all the pretty ones that you ladies have made, ahead of me. I seldom look at them until that point, as I try to not let what you have done influence what I do. OK, I'll confess I did look at them when QNonnie posted her pair last week .... and yet, when I went thru them now, I didn't remember a lot of them!!

Here's mine ....
    #85 ... Square Dance ... this fabric reminds me oh so much of our square dance dresses and how we would trim them up, back in Jr. Farmers Days. I should have added some white lace, as we often had white eyelet aprons overtop!
    and
    #86 ... Squash Blossom

88/111 -------------->23!!

Love your square dance, the flowers are beautiful. You used to square dance? I did and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately DH is not a dancin' man!

You squash blossom turned out beautifully. Wonderful piecing!

Thanks ... I wasn't in love with that floral, and kind of added it in, as it picked up so many colours. Shows how things can change when we make them up with other fabrics. Perhaps should have had a brighter burgundy as it kind of gets lost amidst the black/gold.

Oh yes ... square dancing was a very popular thing! I'd still love to do it, but there's seldom an opportunity anymore. Luckily no one sees me kick up my heels, when some good ol' country music comes on! hhmmmmmmmm we'll have to have a square dance on a Pony Club thread someday!

Great idea! Do-si-do. Allemande left!

Blog Entries
    Anne when I saw your square dance block come up, I thought I was viewing PC blocks (I'm multi-tasking with tabs tonight)! This block has the plain center for you all to showcase a pretty fabric. And QE if you don't care for it--maybe it will get lost in the quilt!!LOLThe squash blossom has such terrific angles--love the turquoise ones! QE are you choosing fabrics to go with that green border? I'm waiting for some hot yellow/orange lightning to show up!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    QE are you choosing fabrics to go with that green border? I'm waiting for some hot yellow/orange lightning to show up!
    Ha! You were already saw that lightening strike!! As for the fabrics with the sashing ... that's where I started to get cold feet the other day, and wondering/worrying whether the fabric mix was still working with the green? arrgghhhhhhh!

Here are mine for the weekName:  Week 43.JPG
Views: 27
Size:  182.9 KB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast