Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: The FWS Quilt-Along Week 50 Blocks 99 & 100 Discussion Page.

  1. #1
    Super Member Honchey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Central Jersey & Calabash,NC
    Posts
    3,893
    We are getting closer to our goal!! Hooray!! I can't believe just 6 more weeks to go for the completion (some of you) of the blocks. We still have alot to do tho... sashing and so on. Till then...back to the blocks. Anne

  2. #2
    Super Member rwquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    In the west that I love!
    Posts
    3,680
    Blog Entries
    4
    Anne, there's a real boost mentally for me to get #100 block finished this time! The end feels super close! Hoorah for all of us!

  3. #3
    Super Member janRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    western Pa
    Posts
    4,601
    I love the Weathervane block-that seems to be my "go to" block when I need something quick to make.
    I'm loving unemployment-don't know how I found time to work before. Seems I'm busier now. One thing tho, I never know what day or date it is----except for Wednesdays. I love Wednesdays because that's when all the new block pics start coming out. So exciting. Can't believe we're at 100. Thanks again ladies for this educational and fun journey; looking forward to our next trip!

  4. #4
    Super Member QuiltingNinaSue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hartford, Mo
    Posts
    4,911
    Womens christain temperance union was a group who tried to help the families of the town drunks and other charitible activities. Opposition called them the "old town biddies" running everyone else's business. Some were not comfortable with "charity" stamp on what was given to them;or the children were made fun of because they were wearing well known hand-me-downs. So I would like to think they did some good and some hearts were true to just "share" what they had extra to share.

  5. #5
    Super Member janRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    western Pa
    Posts
    4,601
    Thanks QNS for the info. I thought they were just an anti-drinking organization (political cartoons always show them as battle-axes.) Great to know what good things they did. I think anytime women took up a "cause" back then threatened the menfolk so they had to make the ladies look like hysterical biddies. I guess we showed them--we can even vote now thanks to those battle-axes. (Sorry-I just love history and comparing then to now)

  6. #6
    Super Member Honchey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Central Jersey & Calabash,NC
    Posts
    3,893
    Okay Guys, I would like to know what you're doing with the scraps from the fabric you used for the blocks in this quilt. I, myself, used alot of scraps but most of it is from pieces larger than that. For some reason or other I really don't want to see it in another quilt so I'm going to make a rope rug from whatever I can get into 1' strips. I'm tired of moving the piles around. Anne

  7. #7
    Super Member janRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    western Pa
    Posts
    4,601
    Umm, I put them in a box in the closet. You know, out of sight out of mind. Very easy to forget things at my age LOL.

  8. #8
    Super Member JeanieG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Camarillo, CA
    Posts
    4,010
    I use Bonnie Hunter's Scrap system, so will be cutting the pieces into 2 1/2", 2", and 1 1/2" squares, and similar size strips if long enough. These I will add to my bins of similar sizes. I use the squares as "Leaders and Enders" matching light/dark squares together when piecing. http://quiltville.com/

  9. #9
    Super Member deranged_damsel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    1,336
    I keep asking myself "what would the Farmers wife do???"

    so I am cutting all of my scraps into usable pieces to make a second quilt. I am determined to use every last scrap!
    this one will also be hand pieced :D

  10. #10
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,821
    Quote Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
    I keep asking myself "what would the Farmers wife do???"

    so I am cutting all of my scraps into usable pieces to make a second quilt. I am determined to use every last scrap!
    this one will also be hand pieced :D
    What would she do? .... she'd be off to milk the cows, separate the cream, make some butter, whip up food for the dozen men in the fields, stoke the wood fire, make a dozen pies, hoe the garden, pick the cukes and make them into pickles, mend the socks and clothes ... and find some time in the midst of all that to do a few stitches! :)

    Whew!!!!!!! I'm ever so glad that them things had a-changed, when I was The Farmer's Wife!

  11. #11
    Super Member deranged_damsel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    1,336
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Quote Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
    I keep asking myself "what would the Farmers wife do???"

    so I am cutting all of my scraps into usable pieces to make a second quilt. I am determined to use every last scrap!
    this one will also be hand pieced :D
    What would she do? .... she'd be off to milk the cows, separate the cream, make some butter, whip up food for the dozen men in the fields, stoke the wood fire, make a dozen pies, hoe the garden, pick the cukes and make them into pickles, mend the socks and clothes ... and find some time in the midst of all that to do a few stitches! :)

    Whew!!!!!!! I'm ever so glad that them things had a-changed, when I was The Farmer's Wife!
    :lol: and Pregnant too! :lol:

  12. #12
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,821
    Quote Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Quote Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
    I keep asking myself "what would the Farmers wife do???"

    so I am cutting all of my scraps into usable pieces to make a second quilt. I am determined to use every last scrap!
    this one will also be hand pieced :D
    What would she do? .... she'd be off to milk the cows, separate the cream, make some butter, whip up food for the dozen men in the fields, stoke the wood fire, make a dozen pies, hoe the garden, pick the cukes and make them into pickles, mend the socks and clothes ... and find some time in the midst of all that to do a few stitches! :)

    Whew!!!!!!! I'm ever so glad that them things had a-changed, when I was The Farmer's Wife!
    :lol: and Pregnant too! :lol:
    Oh good grief ... I forgot about the dozen kids at her feet and the twins on the way!!!!! :)

  13. #13
    Super Member Evie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,754
    Blog Entries
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Quote Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Quote Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
    I keep asking myself "what would the Farmers wife do???"

    so I am cutting all of my scraps into usable pieces to make a second quilt. I am determined to use every last scrap!
    this one will also be hand pieced :D
    What would she do? .... she'd be off to milk the cows, separate the cream, make some butter, whip up food for the dozen men in the fields, stoke the wood fire, make a dozen pies, hoe the garden, pick the cukes and make them into pickles, mend the socks and clothes ... and find some time in the midst of all that to do a few stitches! :)

    Whew!!!!!!! I'm ever so glad that them things had a-changed, when I was The Farmer's Wife!
    :lol: and Pregnant too! :lol:
    Oh good grief ... I forgot about the dozen kids at her feet and the twins on the way!!!!! :)
    Oh, my, sounds about right! I'm glad I'm not living the "good old days"!

  14. #14
    Super Member JeanieG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Camarillo, CA
    Posts
    4,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Evie
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Quote Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Quote Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
    I keep asking myself "what would the Farmers wife do???"

    so I am cutting all of my scraps into usable pieces to make a second quilt. I am determined to use every last scrap!
    this one will also be hand pieced :D
    What would she do? .... she'd be off to milk the cows, separate the cream, make some butter, whip up food for the dozen men in the fields, stoke the wood fire, make a dozen pies, hoe the garden, pick the cukes and make them into pickles, mend the socks and clothes ... and find some time in the midst of all that to do a few stitches! :)

    Whew!!!!!!! I'm ever so glad that them things had a-changed, when I was The Farmer's Wife!
    :lol: and Pregnant too! :lol:
    Oh good grief ... I forgot about the dozen kids at her feet and the twins on the way!!!!! :)
    Oh, my, sounds about right! I'm glad I'm not living the "good old days"!


    All that has me giggling!!! :lol:

  15. #15
    Super Member rwquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    In the west that I love!
    Posts
    3,680
    Blog Entries
    4
    Oh my goodness! You girls are cracking me up! LOL! :):)

    Anne, a lot of my blocks came from scrappy pieces, but not all, so I have scraps all over the place! I was just looking at my bins this morrning before getting on the board and was wondering if it was time to make more crumb blocks...I figure if I'm lucky, by the time I'm 102 I'll have put a dent maybe 1/4 way through my scraps (keeping in mind as soon as I clear scraps up, more get added)? Then it will be my daughter's issue! I crochet rugs with strips...how do you make yours???

  16. #16
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,821
    What about taking all those scraps for a scrappy crazy quilt style border? Or one massive large postage stamp border?

    One thing I am planning to do ..... as many postage stamp blocks it takes, to show a piece of every fabric I use in the quilt! I've done this before in other quilts, as a reference piece where I can show someone .... see all these QST all these fabrics were used (or whatever I choose to make them into). I make sure they are all side by side and "fit" with the pattern. If not a lot of fabrics, I will use some of each to frame up the label of the quilt.

  17. #17
    Super Member Honchey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Central Jersey & Calabash,NC
    Posts
    3,893
    Hi RW, Iget the cotton clothesline from Walmart. Joanns now carries the clothesline but calls it craft rope? It ends up costing 2.50 +tax when you use the 50% coupon. I then wrap the 3/4"-1" strips around the rope. I use a washable glue stick to anchor the added strips and use the large clothespins or clips to hold the ball I create as I'm wrapping. The strips can be any length longer than 6" but less than 20"..I find that if they are any longer it's troublesome to wrap. Then I sew the covered rope in a round or oblong shape using a very wide zig zag stitch. you can make coasters, mug rugs, placemats.I'm currently doing a denim one. I peruse the thrift shops for lightweight denim shirts and dresses and cut them into strips. I've joined a few 100ft lengths by first butting up the ends..then taping it around.. then sewing by hand the way you would join a treadle belt.. I have posted a rug I did using an old flannel house dress. It turned out great. 200 ft/ using a thin flannel will make an 18 x 36" oblong rug . Cotton fabric will be smaller.
    I bought the pattern for the toothbrush technique but I haven't gotten around to doing it. I have made crocheted rugs using Tee shirts. I cut from just underneath the sleeves... then cut the piece in a spiral...I then pull the length so that it curls into iself and it makes a ropelike strip..I roll it into a ball. Voila--bulky cotton yarn!! I have 2 rugs that I made over 25 yrs ago and they are still going strong. I remember my Mom doing this with holey cotton socks when I was a young girl. They also serve as ties for the tomato plants. The minute I see a tee shirt with a hole I cut it up. There shouldn't be any side seams in the tee shirt for this to work. I join them by unrolling the curly sides then laying them flat.. hand sew a few stitches..the sides will roll back to the curl and there isn't much bulk when you crochet. Think tee shirts are only for quilts and rags?? not in my house!! :-P Anne
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-51701-1.htm
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-47720-1.htm

  18. #18
    Super Member Honchey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Central Jersey & Calabash,NC
    Posts
    3,893
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    What about taking all those scraps for a scrappy crazy quilt style border? Or one massive large postage stamp border?

    One thing I am planning to do ..... as many postage stamp blocks it takes, to show a piece of every fabric I use in the quilt! I've done this before in other quilts, as a reference piece where I can show someone .... see all these QST all these fabrics were used (or whatever I choose to make them into). I make sure they are all side by side and "fit" with the pattern. If not a lot of fabrics, I will use some of each to frame up the label of the quilt.
    Hi All, Okay another thing I've never done as most of my projects are still "tops". How are you doing a label for this quilt??

  19. #19
    Super Member Honchey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Central Jersey & Calabash,NC
    Posts
    3,893
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    What about taking all those scraps for a scrappy crazy quilt style border? Or one massive large postage stamp border?

    One thing I am planning to do ..... as many postage stamp blocks it takes, to show a piece of every fabric I use in the quilt! I've done this before in other quilts, as a reference piece where I can show someone .... see all these QST all these fabrics were used (or whatever I choose to make them into). I make sure they are all side by side and "fit" with the pattern. If not a lot of fabrics, I will use some of each to frame up the label of the quilt.
    Hi All, Okay another thing I've never done as most of my projects are still "tops". How are you doing a label for this quilt??

  20. #20
    Super Member deranged_damsel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    1,336
    that is so neat Anne :D
    I have bought some rope... its around here somewheres :roll:

    I have also saved old sheets thinking they would crochet up into nice rugs...

    hmmm... now where did I put it?

  21. #21
    Super Member janRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    western Pa
    Posts
    4,601
    I went on a Road Trip last Friday and one of the ladies was working on a rope rug in the car. I'd like to learn how to do this but I really don't need another "project". I've promised myself my next project will be to learn to use EQ7 (unless something else distracts me; I swear I have Quilters ADD).

    I made a block with nurse fabric that I'm going to use as a label. It has a lot of white space around the center nurse block. How can we identify our little group? I somehow want to note that this was done as part of an internet group but don't know how to word it. You guys are clever: please suggest a good label we can do, too. I for one would never have completed something so large without all your support. I probably would have stopped at wallhanging size. Somehow I want to acknowledge this support.

  22. #22
    Super Member Honchey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Central Jersey & Calabash,NC
    Posts
    3,893
    Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    I went on a Road Trip last Friday and one of the ladies was working on a rope rug in the car. I'd like to learn how to do this but I really don't need another "project". I've promised myself my next project will be to learn to use EQ7 (unless something else distracts me; I swear I have Quilters ADD).

    I made a block with nurse fabric that I'm going to use as a label. It has a lot of white space around the center nurse block. How can we identify our little group? I somehow want to note that this was done as part of an internet group but don't know how to word it. You guys are clever: please suggest a good label we can do, too. I for one would never have completed something so large without all your support. I probably would have stopped at wallhanging size. Somehow I want to acknowledge this support.
    Hi Jan, I'm thinking of designing an embroidered label with "The Quilting board FWS Quilt-Along"
    August 4, 2010 - Ending?
    Participants - List of Names
    I have to start using my emb machine. I spent all that money on it and only use it for quilting. I could make some for our group if you all would like. :-P

  23. #23
    Super Member JeanieG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Camarillo, CA
    Posts
    4,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Honchey
    Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    I went on a Road Trip last Friday and one of the ladies was working on a rope rug in the car. I'd like to learn how to do this but I really don't need another "project". I've promised myself my next project will be to learn to use EQ7 (unless something else distracts me; I swear I have Quilters ADD).

    I made a block with nurse fabric that I'm going to use as a label. It has a lot of white space around the center nurse block. How can we identify our little group? I somehow want to note that this was done as part of an internet group but don't know how to word it. You guys are clever: please suggest a good label we can do, too. I for one would never have completed something so large without all your support. I probably would have stopped at wallhanging size. Somehow I want to acknowledge this support.
    Hi Jan, I'm thinking of designing an embroidered label with "The Quilting board FWS Quilt-Along"
    August 4, 2010 - Ending?
    Participants - List of Names
    I have to start using my emb machine. I spent all that money on it and only use it for quilting. I could make some for our group if you all would like. :-P
    Oh how cool! The wording is just perfect! I would love one! (I would need two as I'm making mine into 2 lap quilts.) I'd be happy to send you $$$ for your time.

  24. #24
    Super Member Evie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,754
    Blog Entries
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Honchey
    Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    How can we identify our little group? I somehow want to note that this was done as part of an internet group but don't know how to word it. You guys are clever: please suggest a good label we can do, too. I for one would never have completed something so large without all your support. I probably would have stopped at wallhanging size. Somehow I want to acknowledge this support.
    Hi Jan, I'm thinking of designing an embroidered label with "The Quilting board FWS Quilt-Along"
    August 4, 2010 - Ending?
    Participants - List of Names
    I have to start using my emb machine. I spent all that money on it and only use it for quilting. I could make some for our group if you all would like. :-P
    Anne, that would be super! I don't have an embroidery machine :( or I would think up something. Let us know how you want to go about this project ('cuz I know you don't have anything else to do! :wink: ). Maybe with our collective thinking we can come up with a lovely label.

  25. #25
    Super Member Honchey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Central Jersey & Calabash,NC
    Posts
    3,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Evie
    Quote Originally Posted by Honchey
    Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    How can we identify our little group? I somehow want to note that this was done as part of an internet group but don't know how to word it. You guys are clever: please suggest a good label we can do, too. I for one would never have completed something so large without all your support. I probably would have stopped at wallhanging size. Somehow I want to acknowledge this support.
    Hi Jan, I'm thinking of designing an embroidered label with "The Quilting board FWS Quilt-Along"
    August 4, 2010 - Ending?
    Participants - List of Names
    I have to start using my emb machine. I spent all that money on it and only use it for quilting. I could make some for our group if you all would like. :-P
    Anne, that would be super! I don't have an embroidery machine :( or I would think up something. Let us know how you want to go about this project ('cuz I know you don't have anything else to do! :wink: ). Maybe with our collective thinking we can come up with a lovely label.
    Exactly!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.