Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • Jane Styckle Cyber Block Party, Week 37.   RS13, M9, D12, E1 and E6 >
  • Jane Styckle Cyber Block Party, Week 37. RS13, M9, D12, E1 and E6

• Jane Styckle Cyber Block Party, Week 37. RS13, M9, D12, E1 and E6

Old 09-07-2010, 07:04 AM
    Power Poster

Well, you are back now with four blocks and a tri, after the 'easier' summer weeks, so I hope the extra one doesn't seem to many to make.

The Tri is straightforward, I think. No terrors there as far as I can see.
    M9 is supposed to be mirrored, and I don't think I did it that way because I always managed to forget when printing out. Lots of little pieces, but step by step and you will get there. I prefer the way the border on this one goes, more the way we do borders on quilts nowadays, rather than what seems to be Jane's preferred way, (as in M11)
    D 12 I did this by making the four main squares first in three pieces, patterned, plain and patterned, then I appliqued the little patterned square on the outer corner of each. In other words, I chickened out on doing four internal corners. Call it sneaky, but it was just quicker for me.
    E 1 As long as you now have melons shapes sorted, then this one will be a doddle, as they are nice, big, easy ones.
    E 6 Fiddly looking middle part, but paper piecing works well for this. Do that section in quarters, two halves, then sew them together. With the isolated squared on the outer four tris, you can either opt to applique them, or extend some lines outwards from their corners, and then seam them in. If you opt to extend the lines, you can either go out towards the corners, or make them parallel to the long side of the outer tri. Hope that makes sense.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-113025.jpe  
    Old 09-07-2010, 05:58 PM
    Power Poster

Lesley, thanks for posting the thread..Your group is beautiful! I don't remember if I mirrored or not..maybe I did, but no one will know the difference (except for the Jane police) if I didn't.

Here is my group. I was a little different from Lesley as I found the blocks fairly straight forward this week, but found the tri to be a terror!

The tri RS13 has those dreaded (at least for me) Y seams and there was no option to print off the foundation patterns, so I made my own. I printed an extra copy of the block and divided the block into 4 sections. Unit 1 was the top and included the top 2 sections. Unit 2 is the next tri, then the big square below it. Unit 3 is the left side of the tri bottom and includes the center triangle on the bottom. Unit 4 is the right side of the tri bottom. I sewed the bottom sections together (3 and 4) before trying to sew them using that yucky Y seam to Unit 2. Attach Unit 1 to Unit 2 and whew...your done!

I appliqued the little blocks to the outside of E 6. I wish I had extended the lines and pp'd them

I sewed 1 seam on the machine for the inset seams on D-12, then hand sewed the other side down.

The hardest looking block this week- M-9 is actually very easy if you pp it. and of course the melon block is easy...we are used to the melons by now. Have fun!

Week 37
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]113376[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-113371.jpe  
    Old 09-07-2010, 06:51 PM

Week 37.

Week 37.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]113391[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-113386.jpe  
    Old 09-08-2010, 01:09 AM
    Power Poster

Sorry you had problems Jan - there always seem to be something to trip us up. I guess I have forgotten about some of them. Regardless, the last two sets just show that any possible problems aren't putting you off. Well done ladies.
    Old 09-08-2010, 05:27 AM

Nearly there with this week just have one more to do will get to it tomorrow.

Well done everyone your blocks as usual are fantabulous, love all the colour ways.
    Old 09-08-2010, 05:36 AM
    Power Poster

Jan, those are beautiful! I like how you used the light to pop out those weird shapes on D12
    Old 09-08-2010, 06:20 AM

Words fail me every time.
    Old 09-08-2010, 07:10 AM

Ok your going to say " and this lady sews..haha..but what does Batik.mean? I am self taught,, Georgia
    Old 09-08-2010, 07:12 AM

batik is a type of fabric. Dyed with wax covering some of it to make the different designs in it. very simply put. lol
    Old 09-08-2010, 07:14 AM

ohhhh ok ,,thanks ..like a polished material