Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 52 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2 42 51 52 53 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1570

Thread: Judy's 3rd MYSTERY QUILT train ride

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    Oh, Judy, I don't know who could be so mean as to PM you when you provided an original pattern, gave us your time to figure out how to keep the mystery just that, a mystery AND gave us time during the week to help those of us who are perpetually confused (me!) with all of us ending with wonderful quilt tops. That nasty person should be banned from the next trip. What a negative Nellie!! Sheesh! Or else that person needs to apologize. There are no rules to your mysteries, except the ones you make. If that person wants to follow certain rules, they can do their own mystery. Sorry to go on, but these mysteries of yours keep me sane and help me feel connected. I love them!
    Well said, Coopah. I feel the same way. This is one of the first places I check in when I sit down at the computer. Thank you, Judy, for doing this for us. Mine is just three colors, red, black and white. It should be a stunning quilt in your pattern.

Well I would make a TERRIFIC roomie. I sleep almost all the time so you would never get sick of my chatter.. I could visit with all the pool boys for you so you would get a heads up you know on who brings the best drinks, who has the cuttest .. tuush and lets see I am an excellent food taster. Let me handle that and I speak spanish. so you see I could help you a ton on this trip without ever getting in the way unless you dont like the right side of the bed then we would have a problem.

I have to smile the best thing i love themost about that non Christmas looking quilt is the beautiful red. I absolutely love it. It is a pretty quilt with wonderful red squares in it. High five I think is in order.

Jan you know you started a save the day quilt is what you should call it. If anyone is unhappy to the point they wont sew it together and is worried about fabrics and costs well they can do two save the day quilts. I think that mine is going tobe grand. any volunteers to whip out quilting before Christmas/ I am deciding how todo the back. I have lots of the front fabrics the green and the pinks to piece it but how would you do that/ I don't think I can make 18.5 squares and get them to line up? so when I stitchin the ditch it would look .. awful. so how to back it. I can also buy backing with shipping for $25.00 which is a lot considering i have so much of the rest. argh what would you do? help!

(thanks)
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
    First of all, thank you - glad you had a nice time. And Second - of course it is the fabric's fault!

And Third I will apologize for making a mystery quilt with so many colors. Someone told me in a PM (and not very nicely, sorry to say) I should only do a mystery with 3 or 4 colors, but that didn't work with the pattern I wanted to share with everyone. But even though I thought jaba's color looked nice on the computer, in person she must not have been happy and for that I do feel bad. But she came up with a fabulous solution with her 9-patch. Perhaps some of you, unhappy with the way the blocks look, can do something like that. And again, I am so sorry to have dissapointed some of you.
    Wow, just got on after being gone for a few and can't believe someone would say anything of the sort. Haven't read other replies yet, so will add more, sure it will echo some of the rest. So...........someone has no sense of adventure, no idea of donating the quilt to someone that sure could use it in this day and age and would enjoy the comfort and warmth of it far more than the color combination, and missed out on all the fun things if all they saw was that way of looking at things. Judy...........ignore it, you do such a wonderful job of these mystery rides. And a wonderful job of trying to help people not only with the train ride, but also other issues. You also give as many hints as you can without giving away the mystery. So you have one person's opinion, against so many others. If you take a bruised apple out of a barrel you can still enjoy the rest.

Ok, let me say that the person wh PMed me to complain, she never came back, never joined the train. And I have a thick hide, I can take the criticism!!!

You are all so sweet, thank you.

As to the next mystery, going on another vacation in January, so I'm thinking mid to late February -- will hope to have something ready to roll by then. But I know it will not be any earlier than Feb. 15. So start watching the BOM section after the 15th.

And yes, to answer the question, I'm spending my children's inheritance (saw that on a Mercedes driven by a distinguished older gentleman) -- and spending it with their blessings, I might add. Going to Costa Rica for 2 weeks, by myself again, a tour company, don't know why, just saw the brochure when I was making the plans to go to the Scandanavia area and St. Petersburg last May, and thought it sounded great fun.

Of course she didn't come back, she knew her life was in danger. Poor person going thru life with no sense of adventure, no imagination, and the fun element left out of her system.

Mary.............................................. love your quilt. If the colors don't go together well for you, they do for me, want my address???

Love everyone's interpretations! As to number of colours, I'm just finishing up a MQ with 14 different fabrics -- the instructions actually called for 20, but I didn't have that many, so 6 was easy peasy. I hope to have mine done in about a week and will post pics. Need to get some Christmas gifts whipped out first.

Blog Entries
    Judy, just so you know, ahead of time, in Costa Rica...... Christopher Columbus is

not a hero and neither is his brother.

You are going to have a great time there...oh, the fabrics...and the weavings !

Have a wonderful, wonderful time !
    Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 12-04-2012 at 06:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    Elsabrat.....maybe BIG broad diagonal stripes like the border?

You guys are too too funny, this after-wrap chatter is way too much fun. Glad so many of you are sticking around and keeping in touch, I love it -- we are becoming like one big happy family!
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Blog Entries
    Wow. I am so impressed with all the final products. They are just beautiful. I love the mystery of it all and the opportunity to learn new techniques I would probably not have tried. I was on the first train and then in the observation car for the next two, but plan on being on board in February. Judy, your directions and photos are perfect and your patience is amazing. Hoorah for your trip to Costa Rica where you will have quite a surprise when several of us pop out of your suitcase, kind of like a popup book. I am just seeing all of our avatars unfolding out of your suitcase. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
    Well I would make a TERRIFIC roomie. I sleep almost all the time so you would never get sick of my chatter.. I could visit with all the pool boys for you so you would get a heads up you know on who brings the best drinks, who has the cuttest .. tuush and lets see I am an excellent food taster. Let me handle that and I speak spanish. so you see I could help you a ton on this trip without ever getting in the way unless you dont like the right side of the bed then we would have a problem.
    Hey Elisabrat, I would make a good roomie too! Costa Rica is nice. My destination of choice is Belize, might re-retire there. My spanish would come back if I had to speak it. In Belize most people speak english. I can help you chatter with the pool boys.

The backing that I use on most of my quilts is Walmart bed sheets. Never have been disappointed with them. I usually buy a king size which gives me a lot of left overs for bindings and other small quilts. As I remember a king size sheet gives me about 9 yards of fabric for a little less than $2 a yard.

I still have to layout my blocks on the design wall again. Not sure at this point about my second mystery quilt (the purple with the red peppers) though. Somehow the color choices don't work well together. I have enough fabrics to do more blocks. the first one I really like.

I am anticipating our next Mystery Train ride. Thanks Judy for bringing us all together.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Elizabrat, you can piece the back anyway you want except 18 1/2" squares and your SITD will be fine. You're right - lining the squares up would be difficult. I would just do wide bands of color across - like mixed 8, 10 and 12 inches wide. I did that with my baby quilt and it looked good.

I am hoping to get back to this mystery this weekend. Still have to cut the strips up from the last clue. Had a couple of quilts to get the binding on interrupt me. One is done, and the second is almost done.
    I have really enjoyed riding along on this train. It has been such fun to read everyone's posts and see all the different results. I haven't seen one I didn't like.

Blog Entries
    I was really happy with How my mystery quilt finished up. and i did another binding tonite with diagonal connections. and even managed to sew the finishing two ends together on the diagonal. i think it helped, that i tend to always undercut the number of strips i need to reach all the way around my quilt. and this time also, i had to cut, and then connect one more strip, and so i got to practice just connecting. and remembered watching a tut a loooonnng time ago about touching and marking where the final ends would connect. it worked like a charm. thx again . love this board.

Blog Entries
    i thought i had lost the last post. no , i didn't. nite, nite, i'm pooped.

Today is my lucky put it all together and laughing yes I have the stripes to add for some reason my mind cramped on that. sometimes you feel like a nut.. sometimes you are..

I think I am not getting off the train everyone. i would starve to death so here I stay with good company, good food and drink and well oodles of fabric. I think everyone should stay. posting pic later today a goal is a goal
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    Oh, Judy, I don't know who could be so mean as to PM you when you provided an original pattern, gave us your time to figure out how to keep the mystery just that, a mystery AND gave us time during the week to help those of us who are perpetually confused (me!) with all of us ending with wonderful quilt tops. That nasty person should be banned from the next trip. What a negative Nellie!! Sheesh! Or else that person needs to apologize. There are no rules to your mysteries, except the ones you make. If that person wants to follow certain rules, they can do their own mystery. Sorry to go on, but these mysteries of yours keep me sane and help me feel connected. I love them!
    I agree with this. Meanies should be uqiet.
    Cleodaisy

Sauki1-My computer is in the hospital. I am using the one in the library. Have not been able to get on it. Anyway, I am in Quincy, Il . Close to Hannibal missouri. I know where Belleville and Fairview Hts are though.

You guys are too too funny, this after-wrap chatter is way too much fun. Glad so many of you are sticking around and keeping in touch, I love it -- we are becoming like one big happy family!
    yep, we've become one big happy family! Momma Judy keeps in line & gives us great quilts to make to keep us guessing all the time too! Keeps some of those brain cells working trying to figure it out! All of us here have enjoyed all the train rides so far & look forward to the next one. Good food, good company & no calories!

Awesome....I grew up there. Sorry to her about your computer tho.

Blog Entries
    well, i have had a sick grdson for 2 days. i think he is going back to pre-school tomorrow. soooo, i will be able to get some sewing done. i was soooo pleased with this quilt, i started another one. and i have 6 of the large blocks completed. i knew what it was going to look like, so i chose, and did one color combo. and i'ld like to work on it some more. can't wait. and my poor dear jane, has been getting neglected something awful for a couple weeks. did i tell you all, i am bartering a couple king quilts for a new set of dentures for my husband? one for the lab, and one for the dentist. i did D9P's for them. and only need the binding finished on one to be done.

Well finally got my top done. Until it was actually finished I was disappointed that I had not chosen brighter fabrics like I usually do. Now that its done, tho, I kinda like it. Any idea on what you all are going to do for the quilting?
    Attached Images Attached Images

YCQuilter, here's mine done
    It's DONE!!

If that doesn't take you to it, got to post #1104, page 120. I like the way yours came out.

OOPS! That's suppose to be #1194

I love all of the quilts shown everyone have done great jobs. I have sewn two blocks and hope to finish on the weekend so I can add a picture.
    Everyday is a good day for Quilting!

Wow! I am soooo far behind! Everyone's is impressive. Glad I jumped on the train. Now just to get caught up. Maybe after the holidays though. Lost my job the first of November. With looking and interviewing, Thanksgiving and other commitments, I put this on the back burner. The good news is I will start my new job next Tuesday. Yay!

I have caught up on the thread. May have questions once I get to cuttin' and stitchin'.

Page 52 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2 42 51 52 53 62 ... LastLast