Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Judy's 3rd MYSTERY QUILT train ride >

Judy's 3rd MYSTERY QUILT train ride

Judy's 3rd MYSTERY QUILT train ride

Old 11-10-2012, 08:12 PM

I finally got my HST squared and will work on the next clue this coming week. Been busy getting rest of my Nov Swaps done. I am loving all the different color combos.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:29 PM

I had to wait to work on the latest clue this afternoon. Got all my strip sets cut, just need to sew them together. We are to sew each set together to make 3 separate lengths? I got a totlal of 7 cuts with my fabrics.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
Vicki and Caroline, pretty blocks, love 'em.

Jenniky, you're lucky you're only cut off from fabric shopping till the new year! Or is that a self-imposed rule?
LOL I wish it was a self imposed rule..otherwise I would be out today taking advantage of JoAnn's Veteran's day sale.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:17 AM

you guys are so fast. I still cant sew! argh. got one border seam sewn this morning on a wall hanging and my arm said I dont think so. Guess you use your left arm more than I thought when sewing. shoot! maybe later? or tomorrow. I want so catch up so bad I could cry,itchy fingers want to sew. one day at a time, think I will bake my pine cones today and kill any critters hiding in them. good plan. baked pine cones. life sure gets interesting around here. keep showing your progress everyone love love seeing the combos come out. three strips hum.. one one way one another between rows that is my guess as its not a sashing.. of course could end up being recut and made into a 800 piece star
Old 11-11-2012, 08:03 AM

elisabrat, feel better soon -- I know how you feel, I was so itchy to get sewing after my back problems and not sewing for 2 weeks, that I sat down at the machine yesterday for an hour, and now my back aches bad. Guess I need to get back to the doc to see what is going on here. Ugh. Hate not being able to sew!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:32 AM

Finally got my half square triangles done last night. Used a ruler I have had for about 4 years but have never used it. Called the Wondercut ruler. It was AWESOME!!! I whipped those HST's out so fast!!!! That ruler is my new best friend!!! I am planning on making a quilt with all HST for a friend and I cannot wait to use this ruler again!!

Okay, I am putting some chili in the slow cooker, gonna pour it over rice, and oatmeal cookies for dessert. Everyone welcom in the food car!!!!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:35 AM

Well I see I'm not the only one who's having to wait to get things stitched together. Those back and shoulder issues are no fun! Mine doesn't give me much trouble with sewing since I put my cutting table on cinder blocks. But let me get in the groove on crocheting and next thing I know my shoulder is screaming at me.

Gotta go finish getting dressed and head to work at the stained glass shop. Had my second lesson this week. Now I'm learning how to solder, which I am VERY poor at. Seems like I can't get my hands to work together to get the line smooth and even.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:41 AM

If I sew sitting down, my back freezes up.....years ago we put my machines on high tables and I sew & serge standing up.....the secret is to be sure they are high enough that you are standing up straight (same goes for ironing board)..and if my legs feel tired there is a daybed in the sewing room, the secret is to lay down not sit down. I am sure it would look funny if anyone ever saw, but hand sewing bindings and applique can be done laying down with a lap tray holding the project and sewing with your arms supported at the elbows with the mattress or pillows if needed

Yesterday I was at the LQS for a class "Picture Piecing" with Cynthia England, it was wonderful...I have admired her work since the mid 90's ....anyone who has not seen 'Piece and Quiet' should check her website. My back was so bad that I had to do the surefire back cure......3-4 inches of really warm water in the tub and lay down with your back flat to the bottom of the tub (legs bent or up the wall(good for ankles)...yes it messes up your hair-do but it sure straightens out the muscles of the back.

ok, sorry so wordy today, off to sew now !
Old 11-11-2012, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by SulaBug View Post
Cindy.............I am counting on you to come up with something really nice for this project when it's finished!! I am so pleased with how it is turning out so far. I love this mystery, don't you?
Sulabug, this one is definitely a mystery to me! I haven't a clue as to where it's leading, but I think we're going to see some mighty pretty quilts come out of it! I'm having a blast with this! I really enjoyed the last one, but liking this one even more.
As I said, am working on a bunch of new designs for quilting, so when we see the final pattern then I can start with my sketch pad & pencil to design something super for it. Let's see what it turns out to be. With 9patch & HST, that's pretty easy, but now we have this braid thing??? Don't know. Maybe next clue will give us a much better idea.
Oh! I have a message from Santa for you......watch your mailbox, there's a package heading your way!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Cindy60545 View Post
Sulabug, this one is definitely a mystery to me! I haven't a clue as to where it's leading, but I think we're going to see some mighty pretty quilts come out of it! I'm having a blast with this! I really enjoyed the last one, but liking this one even more.
As I said, am working on a bunch of new designs for quilting, so when we see the final pattern then I can start with my sketch pad & pencil to design something super for it. Let's see what it turns out to be. With 9patch & HST, that's pretty easy, but now we have this braid thing??? Don't know. Maybe next clue will give us a much better idea.
Oh! I have a message from Santa for you......watch your mailbox, there's a package heading your way!
WHAT.......a message from Santa!! Don't worry I will be waiting at the mail box on Tuesday, to see if anything comes for me yet. Now, I can hardly wait. I wonder what it could be? I got one of the new clue strips done last night & I am so please with the idea & the color's. I know this is going to be Great. Can't wait for the next clue!!