Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • July 1, 2008 - North Star - Photos >
  • July 1, 2008 - North Star - Photos

• July 1, 2008 - North Star - Photos

Old 07-06-2008, 04:54 PM
    Administrator

well! i can't honestly say that was the most fun i've ever had working on a block. :roll:

i still say the block itself was an EXCELLENT choice. however, given that all three of us who used the website templates ran into the same problems and got the same results, i feel comfortable blaming it all on the pattern. not only are the seam allowances off on the triangles ... the center square is too big by 1/8th" all the way around. and ... as reported by Barb M, it also doesn't finish to the proper 12.5".

when faced with a puffy center, i had two choices: (1) live with it; or (2) rippit and start over. naturally, i went for (3) cut a proper size square and applique!!!

i always cut my hunks larger than called for when paper piecing, so i was still able to square it to 12.5". i just had to settle for floating points instead of a star that reaches all the way to the 1/4" seam.

one day later in the week, i'm going to test my own stinkin' pattern. if you don't hear from me again, you'll know it didn't work, either, and i just don't want to admit it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-43603.jpe  
    Old 07-06-2008, 05:13 PM

That's a lovely block Patrice and I luv your applique fix :wink: good choice. I didn't mean to imply that in this case that anyones else's printer was out of wack. I was just off on a tangent, waffling on about my own printer probs :lol:
    Old 07-06-2008, 05:17 PM

my printer ran out of ink. I got the star and paper piece template page printed, but the page with the square ran out of ink, so i didnt end up with too big a square cus i had to make my own square pattern lol too funny. Patrice, that is gorgeous!!!!!! Oh i sooo love the green and gold! Now silly me decided to add more borders to my square, and i made them mitred! Yikes, the mitering made the borders wobble a bit, so now i'm trying to square off my "wallhanging" so i can show everyone lol
    Old 07-06-2008, 05:19 PM
    Administrator

i can't speak for anyone else, but i didn't think you were implying anything about anybody's printer but your own. :?:

besides ... if it had been our printers, the pieces would have fit because they would all have been the wrong size. the block still would've finished the wrong size, but it would have been flat.

and ... let's face it. if you had been talkin' badly about my printer, you wouldn't have called it some of the names i have when it jams. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 07-06-2008, 05:21 PM

OKAY OKAY OKAY, here is my block.... Hee Hee, almost done. I just have to sew it together. But figured I should post something. Everyone all your blocks are wonderful. Makes me a little pink... :oops: or green :mrgreen: maybe.. I did stick to the forth with the blues, reds, and white. Don't know what I will do with it. I will post another after it is all sewed up... Just wait. :lol: :D :lol:
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-43623.jpe  
    Old 07-06-2008, 05:28 PM
    Administrator

it'll look great! i like it already. :P
    Old 07-06-2008, 05:32 PM

Yum, choice colours :P
    Old 07-06-2008, 05:38 PM

Boy, those blocks are pretty! I love how you guys worked through a "bad pattern." I'll learn that one day, right? With your help?!! You know me, I'm so naive, I follow everything. ShellyQ has posted her paper piecing patterns (THANK YOU!), so I'm off to try this one one more time.
    Old 07-06-2008, 05:39 PM

Go Donna go! Go Donna go! Psss...you didnt have to tell us it wasnt sewn lol lol lol
    Old 07-06-2008, 05:46 PM

Well I thought of not telling, but you can tell by looking at it, however the though did pass through about taping it together. :wink: