Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Just Takes 2 Quilt-Along! >

Just Takes 2 Quilt-Along!

Just Takes 2 Quilt-Along!

Old 03-04-2012, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Anael View Post
BEWARE ! ! !
There´s a mistake in the assembly. On the first page of the assembly you have to sew HST units together in pairs. When you look at the picture of the HST´s and how to sew them to the corner squares A you will find out the left HST´s are wrong, they have to be mirrored to get them right. I hope this makes sense, look at the picture of the four HST´s with the diamond unit and imagine this sewn to the corner square. It won´t fit!

I´m sick of all the mistakes in these patterns and considering to stop making this ´thing´.
I was wondering if this is large scale pattern testing. I am going to stick with it and hope it improves, but unlikely to repeat in another colorway. I am struggling through pattern errors with a different book. This time I am taking really good notes so I don't have to reinvent the wheel if I need this pattern again.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:14 AM

I went into quilt pro and printed out a cutting list to check against the ones we got from sentimental stitches. I will let you guys know what I find out today and if mine works better tell you guys what it had me cut.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:04 PM

I have been working on the star this afternoon. The cutting lsit seems to be ok but like Anael said it tells you to sew all the pairs of hst's together the same way round. You have to do half one way & the rest the mirror image. Also the triangles that get joined onto the diamonds (at least the first half that I have done so far) are too big & need to be trimmed down to fit which it doesn't tell you. Once I had sewed & trimmed the hst's I laid all the pieces out in the right order to make sure they all went together the right way. Now onto the partial seams... maybe tomorrow :-)
Old 03-04-2012, 01:34 PM

And I'm back! once I sat back down again I couldn't stop until I'd finished (I'd already done the flying geese & the little one). My points are by no means perfect, particularly where the hst's meet the points of the diamonds. But if you step back & squint it's just lovely : ) and the partial seams turned out to be easy.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]317245[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0369-1024x1015-.jpg  
Old 03-04-2012, 04:58 PM

I got my star done today. I did mine through the quilt pro program that i have, but if the other measurements are ok with the other pattern I will leave it like this. I have all my information scanned into my computer if anyone wants it, just let me know.

Here is my star. I haven't done y seams before, so this is new to me. A little wonky, but I am satisfied. I will try to get my geese and the baby done tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails img_1281.jpg  

Last edited by brookemarie19; 03-04-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:22 PM

Two stars finished, and they're gorgeous!! Well done Victoria and Brooke!

I've made some progress although not as much as you ladies. I have the geese and the little one done, as for the star ... I turned to EQ7 which had more than a few feathered stars but none with the same center. I could have re-drawn the center, but decided to use one of EQ's stars (it has another lone star in the center - I know - I'm a glutten for punishment but I liked it and it fit with the color idea I had in my head). I then spent the entire day trying to figure out how to get it to print so I could paper piece the sections. Finally figured that out, then I printed and cut the paper out excluding the outer seam allowances. I then laid the pieces out and measured them and sure enough, I had a 15" finished size. Then I printed them again using my paper piecing paper and all is now ready to go. I didn't dare start piecing until I had laid out the paper pieces to make sure the size was right.

I'll probably end up hand piecing the Y seams - or at least the center of the Y seams.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:27 PM

Also ... I was on the Take 2 site today and I was reminded of the "rules" that the quilt will be in 4 sections and every three months they'll send instructions to piece the blocks from the previous 3 months. So I suspect that next month we won't get new blocks - just construction instructions. It will be nice to have a "break" so to speak to work on some other projects I've got going. I've got two tops begging to be quilted and one of them is demanding some thread painting which I adore doing!
Old 03-06-2012, 02:07 AM

I'm going to wait for the assembly instructions and decide what I'm going to do. For now I lost all interest in making this quilt because of all the problems.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Anael View Post
I'm going to wait for the assembly instructions and decide what I'm going to do. For now I lost all interest in making this quilt because of all the problems.
I'm disappointed as well with the "quality control" in this project, but at this moment I'll stick with it.

Although this feathered start is beginning to worry me. I've printed the pieces out, made a cutting chart, and I was standing back looking at it and I have no idea how I'm going to construct the sections after I paper piece them. I have 24 Y seams!!! WHAT WAS I THINKING??
Old 03-06-2012, 07:28 PM

Consider it a practice piece in Y seams They're not that hard as long as you mark the 1/4" seam lines and don't sew into the seams. Start or stop exactly where the lines cross.