Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
May Baltimore BOM posted >

May Baltimore BOM posted

May Baltimore BOM posted

Old 05-10-2011, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
Originally Posted by gal288
Originally Posted by LindaR
the border block, does that have to be made larger????
cut the border block background 6-1/2" square, we will trim it to the correct size when we are ready to assemble top.
I went back and looked at the larger version and found what I was missing :roll: I had made a copy of the 60" one and of course didn't show the inner border so I'm up to speed (I think) I really must get busy.

:thumbup:
Old 05-10-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Surfergirl
Thanks Peg! Love the folded rosebud! I'm doing machine applique' so probably won't be able to use that technique.
I think you can still do the folded rosebud, adapted.

Make the rosebud and tack it in place. Now Make the calyx for fusible, leaving the top section without the fusible stuff on the back. Add the folding seam allowance to the top section.

Lightly press under the top of the calyx, use a little glue to hold in place. Now tack the bottom of the calyx in place.
Now do whatever stitch you use to sew in place.

To get the puffiness of the rose bud, I would hand stitch the top edge of the calyx across the rosebud. But if you can't, go ahead and stitch with the machine.

Hope this works for you.
Thank you so much for this info...I'm going to try it! Will post a pic when it's finished...hope I can do it!
Old 05-10-2011, 05:09 PM

Ok thanks Peg i'll have a fiddle with the colors. Hope all is well on the home front and you Dad is having better days.
Have a good one :)

Originally Posted by capucine
Does the The inner blocks have to be the same color flowers all 12 of them? Sorry if this is a silly questions just wondering if they would look ok in different colors:)
I plan on making each side match, but not each block.

I think it will look pretty anyway you want to do the colors.

Have fun and mix & match.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:20 PM

Thanks Peg! Love the folded rosebud! I'm doing machine applique' so probably won't be able to use that technique.
Hey SurferGirl, I am doing machine applique, and I think if you do a little handwork on the buds you can tack the inside down first, then turn down the top edge of the calyx and stitch it down, then lay it over the bud part and stitch around the outside of the calyx. I think that will work.

Now that my kids & grandkids have come & gone I can get back to work and catch up to you all!! I am so happy to be quilting again after spending 2 weeks cleaning and being mom/grandma!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Hey SurferGirl, I am doing machine applique, and I think if you do a little handwork on the buds you can tack the inside down first, then turn down the top edge of the calyx and stitch it down, then lay it over the bud part and stitch around the outside of the calyx. I think that will work.

Now that my kids & grandkids have come & gone I can get back to work and catch up to you all!! I am so happy to be quilting again after spending 2 weeks cleaning and being mom/grandma!!!
Thanks so much...I'm going to try it.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:37 AM

Really nice work, however, I think perhaps I don't have that level of skill.....but am thinking ...........thanks.....calla
Old 05-12-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by calla
Really nice work, however, I think perhaps I don't have that level of skill.....but am thinking ...........thanks.....calla
Hi Calla, thanks for looking, alot of the ladies are doing fusible, give one block a try. Guarantee you'll become addicted!
Old 05-13-2011, 02:26 AM

Hi Calla, thanks for looking, alot of the ladies are doing fusible, give one block a try. Guarantee you'll become addicted!
Hi Calla, Peg is so right! This was my first attempt at fusible applique' and I love it! Please try it!
Old 05-13-2011, 05:39 AM

Hi Calla, Peg is so right! This was my first attempt at fusible applique' and I love it! Please try it!
Go ahead and give it a try Calla. You never know if you can do something until you try. Fusible isn't too bad to do. If you just want to see about putting on the shapes but not exactly looking forward to stitching around them once they are on....use a heavier fusible and don't stitch around the pieces.

I didn't think I could do these either but found out that I can. It was a surprise to me. Each block and piece I think I get a little better at. Go ahead and try. I have had some methods that I tired, even on here, that I didn't like how it turned out so didn't use. But I didn't give up on other ways to do it. I've learned how to do different methods from watching this board also.

This is a great support group where you won't be laughed at for your efforts.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:22 AM

This is my May block. Now to tackle the 12 inner border blocks.

May Block - Baltimore Album
[ATTACH=CONFIG]196476[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-196470.jpe