Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
McCalls Quilting Jan/Feb 2012 / 3 month mystery quilt along >

McCalls Quilting Jan/Feb 2012 / 3 month mystery quilt along

McCalls Quilting Jan/Feb 2012 / 3 month mystery quilt along

Old 02-06-2012, 02:18 PM

maybe it's going to be similar to a whole cloth quilt and we just glue these parts on as design? then we would already have most of it done. no? hmmm, looks like april will be a busy month then. pout!
Old 02-06-2012, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by nancia View Post
maybe it's going to be similar to a whole cloth quilt and we just glue these parts on as design? then we would already have most of it done. no? hmmm, looks like april will be a busy month then. pout!
hahahahaha. lol
Old 02-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Fabriclovr

Originally Posted by youfarm View Post
I did not receive the Jan/Feb 2012 issue of McCall's Quilting. Therefore, I do not have part 1 of the current mystery quilt. Could someone send it to me?
Sorry, hate to be a poop, but that would be copy write infringement. You will have to get your own copy, but you may be able to get back issues at your LQS. Mine has copies of mags for a year back still for sale.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Fabriclovr

Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
Is anyone else disappointed in this second clue? I still have more than half my fabric left, and clue 3 has to include additional blocks, sashing, borders and assembly. I was hoping completion of this quilt would be more evenly spaced between the clues.
When I saw the next clue, I made the comment to my DH " you have got to be kidding me, that's it?!!"

I agree, clue 3 must be a doosie or this pattern is so simple that it could be anybody's first quilt.. just saying. Has anyone done one of their mystery quilts before?

Old 02-06-2012, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
Is anyone else disappointed in this second clue? I still have more than half my fabric left, and clue 3 has to include additional blocks, sashing, borders and assembly. I was hoping completion of this quilt would be more evenly spaced between the clues.
this is mccalls response to a similar question:
"The quilt was designed for confident beginners, and to keep it a mystery, we had to break down the steps this way. We felt that all the cutting in Part 2 would keep you busy and allow you to save up your energy for the final installment. There will be lots to do in Part 3, and then all will be revealed! Part 2 of the mystery quilt was positioned in the back of the magazine so readers not interested in making it wouldn’t have to see it so close to the front of the issue."
Old 02-07-2012, 03:56 AM

Oh my......how much energy do we have to save up? I guess we'll be spending all Summer finishing this mystery! Sigh! Will Part 3 be in the front of the magazine, then?
Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
this is mccalls response to a similar question:
"The quilt was designed for confident beginners, and to keep it a mystery, we had to break down the steps this way. We felt that all the cutting in Part 2 would keep you busy and allow you to save up your energy for the final installment. There will be lots to do in Part 3, and then all will be revealed! Part 2 of the mystery quilt was positioned in the back of the magazine so readers not interested in making it wouldn’t have to see it so close to the front of the issue."
Old 02-07-2012, 12:27 PM

gosh, maybe it's going to be really ugly and that's why they're putting it in the back.......oooooooo, what have we gotten ourselves into???? seriously, it can't be that bad. one of their people is making 2 of them and working a full time job, so i think it should be doable. i expected the second clue to be towards the back. wouldn't you hate to pick up a magazine a find a story prominently displayed, only it was the middle of the story, and you couldn't read the beginning? that would be frustrating and annoying. bet clue three will be more toward the middle because they'll want to show off the quilts their ladies have made. (which they probably made last summer, come to think of it). it's all good. i'm having fun. aren't you?
Old 02-07-2012, 01:11 PM

I found the magazine today at the grocery store. Have not read it yet, but will so I can see what you are all talking about.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

I wonder how many other Mystery Quilts they have done ? This is my first time doing it with them
Old 02-07-2012, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
I wonder how many other Mystery Quilts they have done ? This is my first time doing it with them
there is a 6 part mystery quilt that mccalls did earlier and some of the parts i know can still be found on the internet. it was a block sampler quilt.