Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: McCalls Quilting Jan/Feb 2012 / 3 month mystery quilt along

Fabriclovr
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
    I've already completed all my squares for the first clue and they look GREAT (I've never done triangles before). I'm making the larger quilt. Wish I knew how to post photos.
    When you post a reply, there is a little icon, 3rd from the right. Click on that one and it will bring up a screen that will let you search for your picture on your computer. Its up to you to get the picture from the camera to the computer

Fabriclovr
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    Going out today to find the magazine before I start shopping the stash. I thought I could find it at Walmart but no luck. So off to Joannes. Wish me luck.
    I got mine at Joann's and I subscribed to the mag as well. I was looking for a mag to sub to because the others that I used to read were just all ads. I want quilting, not ads for other crap not related to quilting!

Ok, I have ordered the magazine. Can someone give me the yardage and color value recommendations.? I am itching to go shopping in my stash while I await the arrival of the magazine.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    wasnt joann's cloth world 20 years ago? i dont remember joann's being around back in those days. i made clothing then and bought my fabrics from so-fro fabrics, cloth world and designer fabric warehouse. i had given so much fabric away once i stopped sewing and only kept the really expensive silks, wools and japanese cottons i had. many of the cotton fabrics today do dull in comparison to what fabrics were like 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabriclovr View Post
    I had several yards of the on the left! LOL I used to buy strictly JoAnn's 20 years ago, it was good fabric then, but now, uggg, it looks and feels like 1st or 2nd runs, flaws, misprints. You have to check every yard and both sides. Switched to Hobby Lobby.. much better

I like your combo, rethinking mine. Thank Goodness we have lots of time on this one.

Blog Entries
    Ok, I have ordered the magazine. Can someone give me the yardage and color value recommendations.? I am itching to go shopping in my stash while I await the arrival of the magazine.
    i am with you on this, i want to know also.

Fabriclovr
    When you get the magazine, it will have 4 sets of color combinations shown for the quilt on page 41. They were very helpful in guiding what is needed. You will need 4 fabrics and they are described as this: (and this is just a short paraphrase of the description they have listed in the mag)

Fabric A: This is your Focus Fabric. You will need 1 1/8 yds of a multi-color print that you love. It can be a large print or directional, light or dark.

Fabric B: You will need 3 1/8 yards! Non-directional tone on tone print that is a contrast to Fabric A

Fabric C: You will need 1 5/8 yds, non-directional, small or med scale opposite value of Fabric B ( so if B is dark, C should be light and vice versa)

Fabric D: You will need 5/8 yd, Anything goes here as long as it matches the others.

I hope that helps and gets you thinking before your new mag arrives.
    Last edited by Fabriclovr; 01-14-2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason: yardage correction

Thanks Susan I will start shopping the stash ASAP.

When you get the magazine, it will have 4 sets of color combinations shown for the quilt on page 41. They were very helpful in guiding what is needed. You will need 4 fabrics and they are described as this: (and this is just a short paraphrase of the description they have listed in the mag)

Fabric A: This is your Focus Fabric. You will need 1 1/8 yds of a multi-color print that you love. It can be a large print or directional, light or dark.

Fabric B: You will need 3 1/8 yards! Non-directional tone on tone print that is a contrast to Fabric A

Fabric C: You will need 1 5/8 yds, non-directional, small or med scale opposite value of Fabric B ( so if B is dark, C should be light and vice versa)

Fabric D: You will need 5/8 yd, Anything goes here as long as it matches the others.

I hope that helps and gets you thinking before your new mag arrives.
    Sweet Caroline

Fabriclovr
    Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
    wasnt joann's cloth world 20 years ago? i dont remember joann's being around back in those days. i made clothing then and bought my fabrics from so-fro fabrics, cloth world and designer fabric warehouse. i had given so much fabric away once i stopped sewing and only kept the really expensive silks, wools and japanese cottons i had. many of the cotton fabrics today do dull in comparison to what fabrics were like 20 years ago.
    You know, your right! It was Cloth World and I loved those stores. I remember when they were going out of business, they had gone in and marked down everything to 70% off and I was walking down the isles and found a full bolt of dress weight wool that someone had put in the cottons section and the end was marked in red at $2.50/yd! It was a full bolt complete with the plastic wrap on it. I took it to the counter and told them that I wanted the full bolt (that is when they had bolts at 25 yards not the skimpy 8 yards they have now) and they told me the end was mis-marked. I pressed the issue, and they gave it to me for $2.50 a yard! I still have about 5 or 6 yards left. I use it to cover my ironing board and it works great! Oh I also made a couple of suits out of it too

Okay, I finally made up my mind to do the mystery quilt. I'm using a combination of fabrics from my stash with one new one. I'm still not sure about the yellow as fabric D, so that one might change.

I had to finish a few odds and ends of projects before I could start, but I'm going to start cutting as soon as I post this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fabriclovr
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow quilter View Post
    Okay, I finally made up my mind to do the mystery quilt. I'm using a combination of fabrics from my stash with one new one. I'm still not sure about the yellow as fabric D, so that one might change.

I had to finish a few odds and ends of projects before I could start, but I'm going to start cutting as soon as I post this.
    Nice combination.. now I really should rethink mine! LOL

Fabriclovr
    OK, rethought my fabric choices and came up with this:Name:  IMG_0434.JPG
Views: 311
Size:  164.9 KB
    Last edited by Fabriclovr; 01-14-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Not in Springfield, Mo. Clothworld and Joann's were two different stores. I used to buy my dress goods from Clothworld and my quilting fabrics from JoAnne's

Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
    Last edited by Bobbielinks; 01-14-2012 at 02:59 PM.

I really like this choice.

Fabriclovr
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
    I really like this choice.
    Thank You

Jumping in here to tell you the colors you chose look real good together!
    jillnjo

Fabriclovr
    Quote Originally Posted by jillnjo View Post
    Jumping in here to tell you the colors you chose look real good together!
    Thank you!

Blog Entries
    the Jo-Ann Fabric name didnt come into existence until 1998 so is was not operating 20 years ago. prior to changing the company name to joann's it was known as fabri-centers and it purchased cloth world in 1994. in 1999 is when joanns decided to go half to 65% crafts and less fabric. i remember that also as i stopped going to the cloth world turned joanns at that time.

i am still not a big joanns shopper. i think i am a fabric snob as i like quilt shop quality fabrics. it comes from my dressmaking days when i used top fabrics and purchased from outlets that bought new york fashion district season leftovers. some of the cotton fabrics from joanns & hancocks fabrics you can see right through them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
    Not in Springfield, Mo. Clothworld and Joann's were two different stores. I used to buy my dress goods from Clothworld and my quilting fabrics from JoAnne's

I get that mag also! Going to look the Mystery up and see if I can do it without anymore fabric. GOT to get rid of some of my STASH!!!

Great choices! I'm looking forward to seeing what yours and everyone else's looks like!

Blog Entries
    rainbow quilter....I love your color combinations. I've the mag also and am trying to complete 3 other projects before I jump in to do this mystery.
    Jinnie

QM
    I hardly ever do mysteries, but I enjoy seeing what others do with them. Be sure to post.

Blog Entries
    Really like your fabric choices, too, Fabriclovr. I hope I can find the amount of yardage for each group, in my stash, when I'm ready to join everyone. Everybody's fabric choices are really lovely.
    Jinnie

Blog Entries
    Fabriclovr- Love your fabrics ! Went and got mine today- will post pics tomorrow The "B" Fabric I am not "in love" with but with needing over 3 yards- I went with what I could afford LOL
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Quote Originally Posted by Sewze View Post
    rainbow quilter....I love your color combinations. I've the mag also and am trying to complete 3 other projects before I jump in to do this mystery.
    Thanks, Sewze! It seems like no matter what I make, I always end up with red in there somewhere. I had other things projects to finish too, but finally got them done yesterday morning. The cutting and sewing for this mystery go very quickly.

Blog Entries
    i am gonna be challenged with the 3 yards also if i pull from my stash. ut oh. i truly did not want to purchase more fabric. what to do what to do.

i like both of the posted colorways, one is nice and calm (i love that red fabric)and the other is a bright. fabriclovr i am almost sure i saw you post some black fabric with bright colored ribbons. was i seeing things?

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
    Fabriclovr- Love your fabrics ! Went and got mine today- will post pics tomorrow The "B" Fabric I am not "in love" with but with needing over 3 yards- I went with what I could afford LOL

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast