Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
A New Mystery Quilt Train Ride! Hop on-board anytime >

A New Mystery Quilt Train Ride! Hop on-board anytime

A New Mystery Quilt Train Ride! Hop on-board anytime

Old 06-24-2012, 03:52 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]344449[/ATTACH]Omgosh, they're all wonderful. Neat way to leave off the piano keys and put the wide strip of fabric in it's place. I finally have mine done.
Attached Thumbnails finished-mystery-quiltingboard-002-resized.jpg  
Old 06-24-2012, 04:01 PM

I forgot to thank the mystery master for sharing this. ty ty ty. loved it. Retta
Old 06-24-2012, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jenniky View Post
Here is my quilt. Ended up using 27 and 1/8 to replace piano keys. Im looking forward to FMQ ing a design on those stretches of fabric. Now Im working on how I am going to expand it to a twin size quilt. I will share it again after it is all complete with quilting.
Thanks again Judy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]344426[/ATTACH]

I love all of the finished ones I've seen...they all are so different & stand out in their own way! But this one really is my favorite...it's just stunning! Need to get mine done...I'm also making it larger...hopefully can finish by the weekend.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:24 PM

I didn't jump on the train at the beginning, wasn't sure I would do it. BUT, I did keep up with the steps and printed off the instructions. First of last week I was in a funk and just decided to dig up what I cud and start on the steps. I got all the steps completed, then yesterday when Judy posted the last parts, I finished the top. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. Funny thing is, about a month ago I finished a big CS..haha I'll show ya that too.. Thanks Judy, it's neat to do things you're not sure what it will be when you start out. Looking forward to another one in the Fall. I've really enjoyed the pictures posted, and the different ways they were finished.

Jean

[ATTACH=CONFIG]344484[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]344485[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails mystery-train-2.jpg   carpenters-star-2.jpg  
Old 06-24-2012, 11:26 PM

these are so beautiful! Both of you did great jobs!
Old 06-25-2012, 02:18 AM

Urgodschild I like the triangles I went with another idea I had from staring at the star so much. I would be interested to know what type of a design you are going to quilt on it. I was thinking somekind of tear drop flower petals for mine or feathers within the open spaces. I want to try a specific design and as hard as it is for me Im giving myself permission to mess up and spend time frogging and resewing. I have pretty much only done a SITD or Criss cross type stuff. This will be the first time I attempt a quilt this large on my machine and also want to use the templates I bought a year ago for quilting. I have pulled out some of the geometrical boxes from within the star and Im putting them across the top and bottom to add length. On the sides Im going to try to make the braided sashing down each side. Im using the pattern from Quilters Cache for the braided sashing. Im setting up practice blocks today and rewatching tutorials on YouTube and Studying my books I have purchased on the subject of FMQ ing. Suppose it would be a good time to change my needle and oil my machine. Wish me luck

Chefbwarner wonderful quilt top. Love the browns.
Oksewnsew beautiful quilt tops both of them.

Last edited by Jenniky; 06-25-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:31 AM

Jenniky, FMQ isn't as hard as you think. Just make a couple of sample sandwiches to practice on before tackling your quilt. I find a 12" square is a good size for this. You're on the right track, watch the tute videos & you'll be good at it in no time!
Old 06-25-2012, 02:41 AM

Thanks Cindy, your words of encouragement are much needed and appreciated. The ongoing support from wonderful individuals like yourself give me confidence to continually step outside of my box and challenge myself to attempt my hand at many new to me techniques or aspects of quilting... There is just so much to learn.. but it is fun and I enjoy the camaraderie among all of us on the Quilting Board.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:55 AM

my sentiments exactly! I think that's why I enjoy quilting so much, there's always something new to learn! New techniques to try & quilts to be made that are in my head! I've got 2 UFO's that I've put aside only because I had the idea of how it should look, but didn't know how to achieve it. As time goes by, I drag them out, re-examine whether I can accomplish it or not, then decide when it'll get finished. They are coming to the top of my list shortly. Both will be show quilts with a lot of detail. Some in design, some in quilting. Both are definite stretches for me, but I think the final outcome on both will be outstanding. I'm working on a several show quilts now, but not near as elaborate as these 2. One thing about this board & the internet in general, there's a lot of information out there to hone your skills. I've developed the piecing & design aspect, now I'm on to developing the quilting aspect with my longarm. It's fun to learn new things.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:12 AM

Jenni, FMQ is so much easier than SITD. As soon as I gave myself permission to sew in other directions rather than just forward, it became doable. I prefer block by block to all over meandering. I did my batik one with long swoops down each side of the diagonal lines so it did look like a elongated teardrop with both ends pointed. I wish they had been fatter, but what is, is. I put a flower in each square and a continuous leaf and flower in the border. By personal perfence, I do not quilt heavily. Just go for it. Your plan sounds good. Mine was for a daughter and we both like flowers.

Judy, thank you for doing the mysteries. I cleared the decks to work on mine during the quiltalong yesterday and I can't find it. My GD was here the last time I saw it. Did we clean too well? I will keep looking and post later.

It's a little cool this morning so good old bacon and eggs sounds good. See you in the dining car.