Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
November 1, 2008 - Idaho Beauty - Directions & Discussion >

November 1, 2008 - Idaho Beauty - Directions & Discussion

November 1, 2008 - Idaho Beauty - Directions & Discussion

Old 11-18-2008, 02:53 AM
Administrator

that's a tough question because the answer depends on so many different factors. how big will your blocks be? do you want to use the same colors and fabrics in all the blocks? will you sash between blocks? how many blocks will you use? which blocks will you use?

if you plan a quilt using blocks already posted, you'd have to read the instructions for each one, then add up the amounts needed for each to get the total. if you plan to do it as a mystery quilt, building it one block at a time as we pick and post, i'd suggest you buy 3 yards of a unifying background fabric, then try to use scraps and fat quarters for each block as they come up. if you don't have enough of everything you need on hand for the newest block, you can buy fats from your "standard" color set, but different prints. no need to fork out piles of cash up front, and you'll end up with a very pretty and interesting quilt.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by JANNY
It would be neat to make one with a b lock for every state. Maybe make the blocks in the state colors. Or maybe all red, white & Blue. What a thought. :?:
OOOh, OOOOh, I would love to do that !! I would also like to know more about the blocks for each state. Anyone have a title and author?

And thanks Patrice on the advice about buying fabric and unifying the blocks. I have always wondered about that. I don't mind a scrappy look, but I like the blocks to be unified in color.