Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along >

Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Old 01-13-2012, 08:57 AM

Caroline: I don't know whether this will help, maybe your already doing this, but I blunt the corners. This seems to help me line the triangles up and the result is almost always (LOL) the correct measurement.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
That is just gorgeous! I'm sewing mine together right now, may be a few days until I'm done. It is in the same colors as yours.
JeanieG - It was fun watching it come together wasn't it - I was afraid to try other colors other than adding dark blue and purples along with the black - the picture doesn't really show that. Can't wait to see yours!
Old 01-13-2012, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by lakekids View Post
Well I worked on the large string blocks last night. I stitched 9 of them and then decided to get up and cut them. I merrily cut away on the first diagonal. then I start to cut the triangles. ARGHHHHHHHHH! I cut 6 of the 9 on the wrong diagonal. When I go to cut the triangle all of those triangles have the strips going horizontally across the long side of the triangle NOT vertically to the center point. @#$%$#@!

Well guess I have the start of another quilt!
I did the same thing to 6 of my blocks, but it is easily fixable. Just add another strip down the middle and sew the two sides to it.... You will have another block now that you can cut the right way. It worked perfectly for me.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:19 PM

wholeheartmom -- youre a genius! What fabulous advice.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Caroline: I don't know whether this will help, maybe your already doing this, but I blunt the corners. This seems to help me line the triangles up and the result is almost always (LOL) the correct measurement.
Thanks Emma. I will use your suggestion. Might end my frustration.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:31 PM

Ok. More progress for me today. I trimmed all my red strings and cut 150 squares for step 5 as well as all my blacks and reds for step 6. Overall a productive day. Hopefully I can get some more done tomorrow. I am worried as I am using Alot of a few fabrics as I didn't really have many scraps to begin with. Hopefully it looks good when put together as this is a beautiful quilt. I am trying to listen to Bonnie and not reply look at the fabrics as individual and the quilt as a whole when it's done lol. This is a totally new concept to me.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:35 PM

Speaking of frustration, lol, I worked on making some Ohio Stars and flying geese units today. The sizes are coming out OK, but please tell me that it is OK if not every single point matches, lol. Because some of mine aren't matching, although what I have laid out looks pretty good from a distance,lol. Will work on it some more tomorrow, and maybe I'll have something to show.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by candi View Post
Speaking of frustration, lol, I worked on making some Ohio Stars and flying geese units today. The sizes are coming out OK, but please tell me that it is OK if not every single point matches, lol. Because some of mine aren't matching, although what I have laid out looks pretty good from a distance,lol. Will work on it some more tomorrow, and maybe I'll have something to show.

Candi, there are so many pieces and so many seams in this quilt that you will never notice the points that don't match perfectly. It will be beautiful!!!
Old 01-14-2012, 05:29 PM

Sadie, you are right of course, I haven't been good with triangles and points, but practice makes perfect, right? Actually, I could get many points to match nicely, but some just won't, so to them I said 'oh well". I actually made some progress today and have a few blocks started. I changed the center square in my light Ohio Stars because I wanted more red in my quilt, I think it gives it a nice pop, and boy are there many seams in this quilt! Pressing takes time to get every seam to lay flat!!!! I have my Ohio Stars partially sewed, just need to sew the rows and then finish my flying geese and then the fun of joining it all together. I think I will make four big units and join those together instead of row by row, as it seems to stay squarer (lol) for me this way.

After working on this for the past week, I need a break

[ATTACH=CONFIG]303185[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails ob.jpg  
Old 01-14-2012, 05:48 PM

Looking good Candi,I am still working on part 7