Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Our 7th Mystery Quilt Train Ride -- Whoo Hoo >

Our 7th Mystery Quilt Train Ride -- Whoo Hoo

Our 7th Mystery Quilt Train Ride -- Whoo Hoo

Old 10-30-2014, 04:33 AM

I agree with SandyinZ4! I'm another mouse in the wall and every quilt is so different and so pretty!! Can't wait to see the rest!! It's a good thing there it no competition I could never decide which to vote for!! Judy, you did a marvelous job and I'm looking forward to joining the next train in January!
Old 10-30-2014, 10:23 AM

I turned into a mouse on the wall when harvest got underway. I started the mystery and have the first blocks done with the stars. I have the half squares sewn together for the second blocks. The last corn came out of the field yesterday. I don't have to be the taxi driver to deliver guys to a new field when they are moving equipment. The moved twice last Friday and I got worn out driving back and forth from the northwest corner of land to the southeast corner. Every time I go, I have to load up my three fur babies, a black lab, a Treeing Walker Coonhound, and a small Heinz 57 that weighs about 15 pounds. They all have their certain spots to ride.

My fabric is close to Judy's. My computer "techie" friend is going to try to teach me how to get photos posted hen he is home around Thanksgiving. I might have my quilt together by then. I have to do major deep cleaning now that the grain dust and dirt is done blowing when they were unloading wagons.

After I have seen all the beautiful quilts, I want to try to sew some more in different colors from my stash. Thanks for sharing your work. Most of all, a big thank you and hugs to Judy for doing this. I know that she spent a lot of time and effort to plan this mystery.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

Dotty suggested I do prairie points on the quilt, keeping with the triangle points.
what do you all think??? opinions wanted.

I have the black background in a white, same design, that would make a nice point.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

Looking at the pictures of the fabric with the finished quilt shows just how the quilt brings the fabric to life. It's great. Lynnie, I think prairie points would look great on your quilt.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

how about doing it with the candies, but with the white background, have about 2 yrds of that.
I can't go spending money now. Larry company got a 20% cut in pay, and I somehow smashed
my engagement rign mounting on the bottom. it' squashed flat to my finger. It kind of made me
choose a mounting, I've had a plin tiffany for the past 8 yrs, coz I couldn't decide what I wanted.
Larry feels I NEED a new mounting and must wear my ring all the time. After all, I can't sew a
diamond onto my finger. so I gotta save every penny now.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:57 PM

Lynnie, I think prairie points would look fabulous in this quilt.

I need some advice, please. I'm working with the scrappy, trying to make it longer and wider to fit a twin sized bed. I didn't want to just tack an extra wide border on the top and bottom, which is my normal way of lengthening a quilt. I came up with the brilliant (NOT!) idea of making HST that matched one half of the hourglass blocks surrounding the stars, then three borders. But I think perhaps I've made it too busy? For some reason, the extra strip of HSTs seem to be distracting to me. Then again, I'm probably too close to be objective. None of the borders are sewn on yet, and I don't mind completely changing it around.

Would a green print look better where the extra row of HSTs are? Or another colour. I am wedded to the blue outer border. I really would appreciate your input and comments.

Attached Thumbnails mt-7-scrappy-borders.jpg  

Last edited by Belfrybat; 10-30-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:03 PM

I like the HSTs--not too busy to my eye at all. I hope to make my scrappy bigger, too. Still thinking on how I want to do it.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:28 PM

I really like that you are using the hst's and not just using a border to make it longer. I think mirroring the colors in the stars keeps it from being too busy or chaotic looking.

And bat I love your scrappy it came out great.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

belfry bat, love how your adding to it. love the colors on the scrappy.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:40 PM

I am just a wee bit behind you hoprigmom. My holdup was a vegetable garden and canning. Putting down sauerkraut yesterday, today and tomorrow. If the club car is parked on the siding I will visit and see if any wine and goodies are left, especially the wine.