Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011 >

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Old 07-18-2012, 12:54 PM

I did see that thread but I had bought Carol Doak's 50 Fab Stars and had intended doing that. I am doing the Affairs of the Heart one but life got in the way of everything for a while. Things have settled down a bit but I have less sewing time and I am making a quilt for my sister's birthday so everything else is still waiting. I am trying to be very firm and not start anything new. I should just do miniatures 'cos I like the "achieving something new" part and not the "getting it finished" part.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:33 AM

When I took my PH quilt to be quilted the estimated time to be returned was sometime in August. I was just fine with that. . . . . . . . . . . until August came! Now I am so excited to see it! I do know my LA friend is away now for a weekend quilt retreat so I will continue to be semi-patient!
Old 08-05-2012, 01:38 PM

How exciting now that it is closer to coming home. I can't wait to see a pic.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:25 AM

Ok Ladies, I have finally finished it! I decided on a wall quilt as I have so many other projects going. I just can't figure out how to post a photo on the new format. I ended up quilting it on my machine SID everywhere with YLI invisible thread. I'm pretty happy with the result, I haven't quilted all that much so it is a challenge every time I get up my nerve to try.
Attached Thumbnails img_4668.jpg  
Old 09-02-2012, 04:27 AM

Oh and I did the black rows with a walking foot, the rest with a free motion foot, that was a first. A couple were a bit wonky but once I got the rhythm it was just fine.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:44 AM

Wowee mtngrl - and it just looks fabulous. Congratulations on completing your quilt........you must be thrilled with your effort.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:00 AM

|Thanks, you are kind
...and none of my blocks were exactly the same size and it is a bit wonky here and there... I tried to trim some down and had issues...grr. I probably should have added and made the points but it has taken so long and I just wanted it DONE.
Now I'm obsessed with hand applique, I have 16 - 15" Rose of Sharon blocks from Sharon Pederson's Rose of Sharon Block Book, set on point with log cabins to finish the blocks at 22". Not sure how to proceed as it will be an oversize King when I'm finished. I think I'll do quilt as you go, not sure if it will be hand or machine yet. I've considered sending it out but after all of that hand work, I really want it to be my effort, not throw some money at it and have it done. I'm emotionally involved in the process and not ready to give it up yet.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:41 PM

Yep, that's how I feel about PH so she is still waiting for me to finish her up. Just have to get past the sewing for 2 new grandbabies, 1 expected grandbaby and my sisters 65th birthday.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:11 AM

Lots of excitement in your family Enjoy!

I am on to learning how to hand quilt. I have an applique that I started three years ago, had quilted twice previously, pulled it out both times and am at it again. I am determined to master it. Almost done now and it looks good this time. I might be ready to tackle the Rose of Sharon. I'll have to quilt as I go and put sashing as the blocks don't quite match up on it. I think I need to practice accurate piecing next.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:48 AM

Good luck with the hand quilting. The very first bed sized quilt I started was a sampler quilt that I have almost finished hand quilting. I started it in 2003. It will get finished ...... eventually.