Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011 >

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Old 06-27-2012, 04:32 AM

It has been awhile since I have seen any activity on this thread. I do keep checking even when I have nothing to add! My PH quilt is still where I can see it often. I have finished several UFO's that were already basted so that is good. Almost 4 years ago DH and I moved to be near my folks as we had lived away 43 years. My time is spent mostly with the folks and their needs and quilting is a very good balance activity! I have been thinking of all of you, hoping things are well!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:43 PM

Hi Judith - my PH is still on my design board waiting to be put together. Between 2 new grandbabies and my Mother having a stroke (plus work) I don't seem to be organised enough to get it sorted. I have been sewing small bits and pieces and trying to finish up some other UFO's and now a lap quilt for my sister's approaching 65th has jumped to the front of the queue so PH will stay up there waiting patiently for a little longer.

I also check this thread every so often in the hope of seeing a completed quilt pic - and I will continue to do so.

Hope everyone is well and busy sewing.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:36 PM

I got out my PH today and hung it on my design wall. What has been holding me up is how to quilt it. Because of the applique method the small blocks are too thick to hand quilt through and the piece measures 75"x 75" and I shudder to think of machine quilting on my domestic. I do have a friend who LA's for a business and they are waiting to get a job in Alaska to move. If I take the quilt to her soon she may have time to do it for me. For now, I love looking up and seeing it. Happy Summer, everyone!
Old 07-04-2012, 01:10 PM

I have had the same thoughts regarding quilting the blocks Judith, so I have decided (at this stage) to do minimal outline quilting on each block using the QAYG method. Rather than doing each block individually with this method, I intend to do it in one or two row sections. That is just my thinking at present while I am looking at it on my design wall - we shall see what eventuates.

I would love to see yours when quilted.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:01 PM

I do like your idea of QYAG by rows. I didn't consider that before I sewed my blocks together. I have made a few quilts that way and I do like the method very much. . . . in fact, I am making one now. When my friend returns home from a trip I will take my PH quilt to her and see what she would suggest. I am thinking about the Baptist Fan. We shall see. I am eager to see your PH when the time is right for finishing!
Old 07-15-2012, 02:34 PM

Deecee, I took my PH quilt to my friend who LA quilts and had her look at it and give me her ideas and we came up with a different idea than I went with, but I like it real well. I ordered wide batik backing and she suggested wool batting (because she had a miscut piece that was the right size for my top). I was gulping to hear what the estimate would be and she is charging me only for the backing she has to order. I was shocked and she explained it was for the dent they put in our pickup when my DH loaned it to them and would not let them fix it as it wasn't that bad yet the fee for fixing it would be extreme! So I came home and thanked DH for the unexpected gift! I probably will not get it until in August, but, Margie is an 'in demand' LA artist.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:47 PM

Wow - What a bonus for you Judith. I assume the Baptist Fan is out the window? What did your LA come up with or are you keeping it a secret so you can do a "big reveal" on this thread?
Old 07-16-2012, 03:23 AM

No, no secret reveal,LOL! Yes, the Baptist fan is out the window, Margie suggested it was too traditional for the fabrics I used. I don't remember the name of the panto, but I do remember that it has curvies and spikies! I am hoping that when I do take pictures to post that I can show the quilting well.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:39 AM

Look forward to seeing it.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:42 AM

Have you seen the thread for Quilts for Rosie which is paper piecing with a block a week group? At first I thought, no, I have too much going but I have worked through some of my projects and I am going to join. I ordered the book and we start in Sept. It will be different starting with the group rather than later and trying to catch up! Aren't you a part of another group or two? I have seen some of you Heart blocks. They are wonderful!