Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011 >

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Old 01-16-2011, 11:01 PM

Here are my photos and notes on the 12.5" blocks.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-162123.jpe  
Old 01-16-2011, 11:25 PM

For anyone following the 12.5" blocks, this information is for you. The cutting sizes are listed on the above photo.

The Kaleidoscope went together well enough. I used 12" squares to start with. When I was ready to cut out the kaleidoscope from the pinwheel I drew the 12.5" square with pencil, then BEFORE I cut it out, I stitched around the inside of the pencil lines. That is stay stitching for the bias block. Then cut it out on the pencil line.

That left a lot of waisted fabric. I started to make it out of 10" squares, which will get the kaleidoscope done, but by using the 12" squares, I got a lot of Bonus Blocks. Look out in the left overs... You can cut a 6.5" half square triangle from each of the corners. You can cut a 2 square from each of the sides and they can be sewn into a 4 patch squared up to 6.5". I liked the Bonus Blocks. The photo shows them. If you are not interested in these or are short of fabric, then 10" squares are adequate.

Jupiter
Attached Thumbnails attachment-162131.jpe  
Old 01-16-2011, 11:34 PM

More 12.5" Block stuff.

I had to do this one and rip it out a couple of times. Got to get the size right or it won't fit nicely with the other blocks. I posted the right numbers on the photo a couple posts up.

The 2 major things to check are; after you have finished and squared it up to 12.5" X 12.5", the diagonal measurement across the 3 dark squares should be 12". There should be 1/4" of the large triangle at each corner for seam allowance.

Jupiter
Old 01-16-2011, 11:39 PM

More 12.5" stuff.

Bright Hopes was a joy to make. After those last 2 blocks, I needed a quick one! Use the measurements from the photo above.

Since I do not have any nice star-bursty things in my fabrics, I made a Quarter Square Triangle block out of my stripe fabric. It turned out very interesting, I think.

So that is it for this week. Next week is catch up week. If anyone has questions or comments about the foundation blocks, be sure to ask here. There are no dumb questions, only ones that need answering.... and we will all help out where we can.

hugs, Jupiter
Old 01-17-2011, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jupiter
Hi Lara,

I'm having a hard time making your 3rd week blocks be the same pattern I used. Are you in the same book as we are? Or are these previous blocks prettied up?

I am posting my photo of all three weeks. Maybe I am just looking at them wrong...lol

hugs, Jupiter
Hi Jupiter - Yes, definitely the same book - although there is always the possibility that I made a mistake on one of the blocks! ;-)

The first block is the bright hopes foundation for "Bill's Bright Hopes." The second block is the set on point foundation for "Chris' Compass." The third block is the quarter square foundation for "Facets of Jenn." They are hard to recognize for what they are as just foundations without the applique. I wanted to make the actual foundations that I will be using now, while I have time, since this Spring looks pretty hectic for me and I don't want to fall behind. I'm really excited about this project and want to make sure that I can do it! I may spend this catch up week doing some more of the foundations so that all I have to do later is the applique.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:17 AM

Hi Lara,

I am so glad we are on the "same page"! Now that you helped me see them.... lol

Your idea of making the foundations for each block ahead of time is a good one for those with busy schedules. You can get ahead even more on the Catch Up weeks.

I failed to say how pretty your blocks are this week. After I got over which ones they are, lol, your fabrics are yummy!

hugs, Jupiter
Old 01-17-2011, 09:48 AM

http://www.fabric.com/quilting-fabri...Soul%20Blossom

I just happened upon a grouping of fabric that would be fun to work with. If anyone doesn't have their fabric yet, maybe take a look at this link.

hugs, Jupiter
Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 PM

Here are all of my good foundation blocks. The fabric is from my stash. And I am glad I used scraps, took me a few trys on a couple of blocks. Thanks for the hint on squaring off the small 9 patch to 4.5 inches, it made things much easier. Still fussing with the glue, I think I will try the Elmers.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-162755.jpe  
Old 01-18-2011, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Furza Flyin
Here are all of my good foundation blocks. The fabric is from my stash. And I am glad I used scraps, took me a few trys on a couple of blocks. Thanks for the hint on squaring off the small 9 patch to 4.5 inches, it made things much easier. Still fussing with the glue, I think I will try the Elmers.
Scraps or not, those look great!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:11 AM

FF...........

They look good!! I especially like the batik 9 patch in the corner. ;-) And I think the print with the black background is going to make up very nice. It will have a lot of contrast.