Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011 >

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Old 01-11-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHiker
Okay, I was not happy with the blocks, so I changed out a couple of things, especially my 6" blk. This is what I have to date and am happy with them. That's it until next week.
They look great! I especially like the fussy cut on the 6.5 inch foundation block. That would look great as the cathedral window block.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHiker
Originally Posted by Obsessed
Great job Karla! I love your fabrics.

Here are my blocks for week 2. I've also included a picture of a bunch of my foundation blocks together because I need your opinions. I'm not sure about the greens. Do they look like they belong? I'm not sure that I like them with the warmer colors, but I"m afraid my quilt will be too monochromatic without them. Besides the greens I have only red, orange, brown and yellow. What do you think? Should I include the green?
Did you make up your own version of these blocks or am I missing something???
Instead of doing the foundation techniques as separate blocks that I won't use later, I just incorporated the foundation techniques into the actual blocks that I will applique on when we get to that week. Just trying to save myself a step later on! Although I may end up changing some colors around anyway... we'll see! ;-)
Old 01-11-2011, 08:50 PM

I like the green. It gives some 'base' to the color scheme...or something like that. I thought about grabbing out an art book and seeing what kind of color scheme it is, but I got too lazy to go do it. But it does work, nicely.

hugs, Jupiter

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Great job Karla! I love your fabrics.

Here are my blocks for week 2. I've also included a picture of a bunch of my foundation blocks together because I need your opinions. I'm not sure about the greens. Do they look like they belong? I'm not sure that I like them with the warmer colors, but I"m afraid my quilt will be too monochromatic without them. Besides the greens I have only red, orange, brown and yellow. What do you think? Should I include the green?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:06 PM

Hi All,

Here are my foundation blocks for this week. I am making mine in the 12.5" format, and have listed my size numbers on the photo.

So far, so good!

hugs, Jupiter
Attached Thumbnails attachment-158626.jpe  
Old 01-11-2011, 11:20 PM

When I set up the schedule for this group, I thought that doing the Foundation Squares would get us all started on easy stuff, and give us time to figure out how to post photos and just visit a bit. I am sorry if this is too slow and boring. Just one more week of it, then a catch up week.

We should all start on Laura's Cathedral Window beginning January 30th. Go to the first posting on page 1 of this group to get a copy of the weekly schedule, please.

If you choose to work ahead of schedule, that's fine. But please do not post the block photo until it is the correct week to post it. If we stick to the plan of only posting the correct block in the correct week, we should have a lot of 'same blocks' to compare and learn from. If there are a lot of other photos mixed in, it might be confusing. During the "Catch Up" weeks, feel free to post anything from the past up to the current week.

I hope this is fun for everyone. I don't mean to be putting the skids on anyone's enthusiasm.... just trying to get us off on a good footing together.

hugs, Jupiter
Old 01-12-2011, 09:31 AM

Thanks for posting the instructions for 12 and a half inch blocks.

I have my first weeks done and am working on this weeks. Hopefully can post this afternoon.

This is definitely not boring!!! I hope to learn so much from this group. I haven't appliqued before........so will need the week to probablly rip out and start over several times. LOL
Old 01-12-2011, 03:34 PM

Question???? If I make my blocks 12.5" how much more fabric will I need? I have looked in the book and I can not locate the yardage. Mavis
Old 01-12-2011, 04:25 PM

I don't think this is boring. I am having a blast with these blocks and seeing what all the others look like. I would have trouble going any faster....lots of other things going too.

Here are my week two blocks. I too think I will be changing some. I will have to see when it comes to the applique part.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-159056.jpe  
Old 01-12-2011, 04:27 PM

Jupiter, I forgot to say thank you for doing this.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by quilts4fun
I don't think this is boring. I am having a blast with these blocks and seeing what all the others look like. I would have trouble going any faster....lots of other things going too.

Here are my week two blocks. I too think I will be changing some. I will have to see when it comes to the applique part.
Your fabrics have a lot of moment. Very pretty.