Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
THE PONY CLUB  1st Milestone  15 Block "SHOW & TELL" >

THE PONY CLUB 1st Milestone 15 Block "SHOW & TELL"

THE PONY CLUB 1st Milestone 15 Block "SHOW & TELL"

Old 03-03-2012, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Thanks all--once seeing the blocks together like this (my design wall is full of odds and ends--FWS among them) I am starting to think about sashings and cornerstones. Any suggestions?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:51 AM

[QUOTE=JeanieG;5025236]That is going to be one beautiful quilt Cookie! I love the colors![/Q

UOTE] Thanks Jeanie having fun
Old 03-03-2012, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
Here is what my blocks look like all together. Just love having them on my design wall to look at and add to each week.
Love your blocks don't have a big enough design wall but I keep putting mine out on the table.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Thanks all--once seeing the blocks together like this (my design wall is full of odds and ends--FWS among them) I am starting to think about sashings and cornerstones. Any suggestions?

I've sat here and looked at yours for a long time, OKSGlad, after I saw your question. Now I may be a bit partial, but what about a green? A "nothing print" from that line or one that works with it. Or a darkish rust/brick red? Or a navy blue that has some zip in it? OK, so I've given you about every colour! Some help ... NOT!

Then another thought ... a light sashing. I'm thinking white, but not bright white, but as white as that fabric would allow you to use. Yes, kind of a dirty white! Perhaps what is in your Betty's Delight or the Clover Blossom (perhaps it's the same fabric?)

Cornerstones? ... they'll sort out pretty quickly once you settle on the sashing.

I've been thinking about this too and thought I'd wait til 20, but now that we have the 15 grouping, I'll probably try to decide at that marker. The earlier they are decided, the easier it will be to blend with the sashing/cornerstones. I had some in the FWS that the background blends too much into the sashings/cornerstones and would like to avoid that.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

The earlier they are decided, the easier it will be to blend with the sashing/cornerstones. I had some in the FWS that the background blends too much into the sashings/cornerstones and would like to avoid that.

That's what I was thinking too. If I go with a black sashing the one blue and black block will disappear. I am surprised at the amount of green I do have as I'm not a green person. I thought I would have more blue in this quilt and of course it's still early and I can always add more blue! Thanks for the input QE!
Old 03-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
The earlier they are decided, the easier it will be to blend with the sashing/cornerstones. I had some in the FWS that the background blends too much into the sashings/cornerstones and would like to avoid that.

That's what I was thinking too. If I go with a black sashing the one blue and black block will disappear. I am surprised at the amount of green I do have as I'm not a green person. I thought I would have more blue in this quilt and of course it's still early and I can always add more blue! Thanks for the input QE!
OKSGlad ... I was quite a ways into my FWS before I made any decisions. Once I knew the sashing/cornerstones, then I worked to get some more browns/golds in to coordinate with the cornerstones, and was a little more cautious what was touching the sashing. I didn't re-do the blocks that are too similar ... and I think they will be OK as the part of the block that is brighter will pop out more.

So what are you thinking?? .... it helped when I covered my design wall with fabric in the colour tones I was thinking. Remember I had blue for awhile? I've got the rust up right now for the PC .... but I'm already thinking of switching it over, perhaps a bright navy? or dark brick?
Old 03-03-2012, 03:47 PM

Here are my blocks all laid out, I am a bit disappointed with the brown I have used in one block, it may be redone.
I have started sewing on my sashing, it is a dark blue from the same fabric range so won't use it in any of the blocks. I am still undecided on the cornerstones but it will come to me.
Hope you like them
Attached Thumbnails pc-blocks.jpg  
Old 03-03-2012, 04:33 PM

Mirabelle - that dark blue looks great. I've been looking at mine and thinking of the dark brown, or grey/black. I think I'll do as QuiltE suggested and put it up on the display board to keep looking at it.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:53 PM

Mirabelle, Your blocks are lovely & that dark blue will be perfect!! I like the fact that you are doing this now. When I finally git the fabric for my attic windows I think I'll start sewing 'em on immediately. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

Me too! Your blue is framing it all up so nicely. What about a really light blue for the cornerstones?
Don't fret
MiraB about the brown ... it'll blend in better, if you include a little here and there in the coming blocks. And remember Laurie's comment about the muddy blocks having a role to play. It'll be your muddy!