Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/%5Bdear%5D-jane-stickle-cyber-block-party-jan-2010-thru-may-jun-2011-a-t28063.html)

Janstar 03-05-2010 12:42 PM

Been there done that, Quilter 7! I did it just the other day when I was feeling confident! Bam, I cut the good part right off! Your tri looks great BTW!

Quilter7x 03-05-2010 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Janstar
Been there done that, Quilter 7! I did it just the other day when I was feeling confident! Bam, I cut the good part right off! Your tri looks great BTW!

Thank you, and I'm kind of glad to hear some other people who have been there, done that. :oops:

kosmos 03-05-2010 01:12 PM

If it was right everytime,would we feel we were learning anything

Butterflyspain 03-05-2010 01:34 PM

just a quickie as things are not good here. When you make your pattern either trace it out or print it out again so you have two copies. Number the pieces as in the pattern. Now cut the shapes out in the paper. Now all you have to do is place these pieces onto your fabric. Cut at lease 1/2" bigger than the paper. You should then have the perfectly sized piece.

Only know this because I was a dressmaker. :thumbup:

Quilter7x 03-05-2010 01:36 PM

Thanks Butterfly, I will do that.

I hope things get better for you and your family fast.

Janstar 03-05-2010 02:47 PM

Thanks Elle, good thoughts coming your way!

Esqmommy 03-05-2010 03:14 PM

And yes, Diane, I have been there and done that. Still get there unfortunately, just did it on Tuesday!! I will never be perfect, and never not make mistakes. I couldn't figure out how to paper piece a block I was doing for my "Indian Orange Peel" quilt. It took me a while, and a couple mistakes and had to throw away the velum and the fabric attached, there was no alternative! However, I refused to let it shake me, and just started again - voila...it was right!

sandpat 03-05-2010 03:30 PM

Oh yes, quilter7...been there done that...and I have a closet FULL of Tshirts!!!! Heres a tip for the paper size thing. I don't cut my pieces. I do cut a strip of fabric though that is as wide as the widest piece that I am going to need. Then...fold your paper backwards onto the piece of fabric BEFORE you sew ...just to make sure it will be large enough...wait...I'll go get my camera so I can show you...I don't explain very well...

sandpat 03-05-2010 03:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
OK...here are some picks...I laid out the unit..ready to sew the seam between #1 and #2....First I show you how the pattern is laying on the fabric strips so you will know where I fold it back in the next shots. I went over the lines of #2 with a Sharpie so you can see the edges. In the 2nd pic the folded over pattern fits nicely on the fabric strip with plenty of room around the paper pattern for trimming. In the final pic...you can see from the where the dark lines are falling on the folded over section #2 that this piece of fabric will NOT be large enough. Did I just confuse you more???

Open pattern showing placement on the strips
[ATTACH=CONFIG]30801[/ATTACH]

Pattern folded over...yes..the fabric is large enough
[ATTACH=CONFIG]30802[/ATTACH]

folded over..no..the fabric is too small
[ATTACH=CONFIG]30803[/ATTACH]

Shemjo 03-05-2010 05:43 PM

Great explanation Pat. I have to unsew because I shorted my fabric often. Just something I do! :oops: