Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/%5Bdear%5D-jane-stickle-cyber-block-party-jan-2010-thru-may-jun-2011-a-t28063.html)

Lacelady 08-02-2010 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain

Originally Posted by sandpat
emsgranny....I emailed you all the information ( I think)...let me know if you don't get it or have a problem with it.

Oh and did I forget to tell ya'll that I got ALL the paper pulled off of the blocks up to the current week. Now I'm just pulling it as I go...so I'm seriously trying to decide whether to go ahead with the quilt method of Lesley's or try to figure out how to do it with a back on it. I don't think that we have enough blocks in a specific section though to get started that way. Hmmm...decisions...decisions...

No Patti, there are not enough blocks on any of the lines cross ways or down ways. Thats why I decided to try and do Lesley´s method, a bit more sewing together, but Lesley´s turned out so beautiful its not going to be a problem I hope, as long as I am as good as she has is with the sewing

Aaah, Elle, how kind of you. I think that was partly why I tried what I did - I was frustrated that you don't get a complete row in either direction until almost the end. At least my way, I could be quilting the blocks in the evenings as I went along, and they were almost all done by the time I finished making the blocks. As for sewing, you could machine quilt each one beforehand, instead of hand quilting. Then the only hand sewing you would have would be to tidy up the batting on the back as you join them. That doesn't have to look brilliant because it will be covered by the backing fabric right at the end.

Butterflyspain 08-02-2010 01:36 AM

Thanks Lesley, I honestly haven´t looked at DJ for 2 weeks now as I have been doing my Fan quilt and an IRR that I am in.

I will get back to it though sooner rather than later.

Elle

jolo 08-02-2010 03:48 AM

Yes I am getting behind too Butterfly,I had to stop and hand quilt one that I had committed to earlier. Am so anxious to get back in the groove with my Baby

Butterflyspain 08-02-2010 04:38 AM

Glad I am not alone, only I sort of get a mental block until I get started with DJ. think its such a huge undertaking this one that I baulk at starting again.

I will I promise I will LOL

Lacelady 08-02-2010 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Glad I am not alone, only I sort of get a mental block until I get started with DJ. think its such a huge undertaking this one that I baulk at starting again.

I will I promise I will LOL

You can't quite now, Elle, you are more than half way there!

sandpat 08-02-2010 05:24 AM

Oh Elle...you just needed to catch up, then when you did...of course you deserved a "break" to work on that lovely fan quilt and of course the IRR. I'm caught back up myself, and am waiting for 2 more IRR's to come through...then I'll only have "my" projects. While I'm waiting..I'm going to stack up some more Jane blocks.

Lesley...I was thinking that I really need to do it your way with the back all in one piece because I'm not sure I bought enough of the backing fabric otherwise. Yours did turn out lovely and I KNOW that I'm not nearly as good as you...but well...we'll see..

Lacelady 08-02-2010 05:58 AM

Oh Elle...you just needed to catch up, then when you did...of course you deserved a "break" to work on that lovely fan quilt and of course the IRR. I'm caught back up myself, and am waiting for 2 more IRR's to come through...then I'll only have "my" projects. While I'm waiting..I'm going to stack up some more Jane blocks.

Lesley...I was thinking that I really need to do it your way with the back all in one piece because I'm not sure I bought enough of the backing fabric otherwise. Yours did turn out lovely and I KNOW that I'm not nearly as good as you...but well...we'll see..

Nonsense, this is only the fourth double/king bed quilt I have made Patti, I really don't have that much experience. Your blocks are coming out beautifully, so there is no reason why they won't go together beautifully.

sandpat 08-02-2010 06:09 AM

Thank you Lesley. Its just that I haven't been sewing all that long. Mom taught me when I was in the 3rd grade, but that lasted all of about 6 months. Then until 2006....I couldn't even thread the machine! I hemmed stuff with a stapler or duc tape :oops: :lol: :lol:

Butterflyspain 08-02-2010 06:28 AM

Thank you Lesley. Its just that I haven't been sewing all that long. Mom taught me when I was in the 3rd grade, but that lasted all of about 6 months. Then until 2006....I couldn't even thread the machine! I hemmed stuff with a stapler or duc tape :oops: :lol: :lol:

Well Patti you really surprise me because I have the wedding quilt that you FMQ and made blocks for and it is totally amazing. All I am going to say is you learned a lot in that 6 months that came good for you.

Elle

sewsewquilter 08-02-2010 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady

Originally Posted by sewsewquilter
Thanks Lesley! Good information on your yardage usage. How much yardage do you think you used on your background fabric on the front of the quilt?

deb

Sorry, perhaps I didn't word it very well. The 15 yards were the Kona natural I used in each block/tri with my batiks, but don't forget that all my inbetween tris were made from it too. I think I have a length about 1 1/4 yards x 16in left.

I bought 3 yards of wide (120in?) Kona natural for my backing fabric in addition to what went in the front - it's slightly different to the front Kona cotton too - feels finer. I also bought 2 yards for all the corner stones and binding, but probably have almost a yard left over, so you could definitely get away with 1 1/2 yards for that. I cut the first diagonal so that I could get proper bias binding, then cut the cornerstones from that triangle I had cut away. My binding is double, on the bias, and I cut it 1 3/4in wide. Hope that helps.

You wrote it right. I just read it wrong. :shock: