Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/%5Bdear%5D-jane-stickle-cyber-block-party-jan-2010-thru-may-jun-2011-a-t28063.html)

sandpat 09-29-2010 05:44 AM

Lesley...those a gorgeous up close and personal like that! I think I need to work on these as I move along..maybe when I hit a group of PP ones, I'll work on some of these by hand at night.

Your batting is cut 1/2" wider than each block (or block + sashing sewn on the side and bottom) or did you cut larger, quilt, then trim them down before sewing them together?

Elle...I'm sorry your quilt top for the show hasn't gotten there yet..but maybe it will still make it. I can't wait to see pics of the show...your group is so talented!

Butterflyspain 09-29-2010 06:10 AM

Those blocks all look really amazing. Must have a look at those corner blocks and print them out.

No luck with the top today as we have a strike of postal workers, hotels, airport. In fact a general strike in protest to all the people being made redundant, canīt see a strike will do any good, but it will make them feel better I am sure.

So maybe tomorrow I will get word. trouble is I am out early in the morning taking a friend to Nerja and then at 2 pm my riend Maggie and I are off to take all our work to the Centre for the show. So it the postman arrives I wonīt be there to get it. Friday is too late. Never mind just one of those things I suppose. it would have been nice but not the end of the world.

Elle

Lacelady 09-29-2010 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Lesley...those a gorgeous up close and personal like that! I think I need to work on these as I move along..maybe when I hit a group of PP ones, I'll work on some of these by hand at night.

Your batting is cut 1/2" wider than each block (or block + sashing sewn on the side and bottom) or did you cut larger, quilt, then trim them down before sewing them together?

Elle...I'm sorry your quilt top for the show hasn't gotten there yet..but maybe it will still make it. I can't wait to see pics of the show...your group is so talented!

Sort of yes and no, Patti. I cut the batting larger all round just to be on the safe side initially. Then when it came to sewing the blocks together with my 3/4in sashing, most of it got left (just trimmed a bit) to fill in the space behind the sashing. (I think my original pics of this are on page 214, or near there). The excess on the back of the tris and corners are a bit different, because there was no sashing between those, but with them, most of the excess was hand stitched down between the tris, to make it lay as flat as possible.

sandpat 09-29-2010 05:51 PM

Thanks Lesley..it sounds like its something that I'll have to play with a little bit to get the feel for it. I've never done any QAYG before, so yet another new thing on this quilt for me. I swear...I think every quilter should make one of these..you grow so much in the process! I'm just hoping that I won't be too disappointed in my final result with all my little "boo-boo's and oopsies" along the way.

wilhelmina 09-29-2010 10:24 PM

Patti, the little surprises all melt away into group perfection! Although I totally get what you are saying, some of my blocks, are, well, d.o.n.e and far cry from what I expected for their finish, but maybe the hardest ones will be our favorites because they taught us a new technique! :lol:

Those corners are really pretty Lesley!

jolo 09-30-2010 02:31 AM

Elle good luck with the show for everyone.

Lacelady 09-30-2010 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by jolo
Elle good luck with the show for everyone.

Ditto! I hope the locals flock in and love everything!

Butterflyspain 09-30-2010 11:33 AM

Thanks everyone for your good wishes. I went today to help set things up with 2 of my girlfriends. We arrived around 3pm and left around 5pm. There was still a lot to do, but my then the men had arrived and were ready to hang the quilts on the higher rods in the ceiling. You are going to love all the things I am going to show you, there were pieces there that I hadnīt seen at all.

We have two quilts to raffle and everyone of our group brought cakes so we are going to sell tea/coffee and cake and all the proceeds from the raffle will go to the local childrens orphange, so hopefully we will do really well for them. I have a 9.30 till 1.30 stint tomorrow, so I will wander round and take photos for you all. Hopefully will get them posted before I go away on holiday.

Looking forward to it.

Elle

sandpat 09-30-2010 01:48 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing all the pics Elle..

Butterflyspain 09-30-2010 02:25 PM

There will be a lot.