Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/%5Bdear%5D-jane-stickle-cyber-block-party-jan-2010-thru-may-jun-2011-a-t28063.html)

kluedesigns 11-12-2009 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by FAYE
I have found that if one uses used dryer sheets, irons it onto freezer paper that has been cut to printer size---the pattern can be printed onto it...you don't have to tear it off(a time saver) it does not add bulk to the finished blk. I had to find another way to PP , as I am handicapped & could not handle the firmess of paper....

thats a great idea faye, i love that you can run it thru the printer.

i hate having to trace patterns.

kluedesigns 11-12-2009 11:03 AM

blue

you're blocks buttons look awesome, did you do traditional needle turn?

kluedesigns 11-12-2009 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by JRSAY
Cheers Klue,
I am jumping in to this...think my Jane may be hand pieced..sew hope I can keep up, great way to try new blocks.
Again do you sell your organization skills???? thanks for your efforts & energies.
stitchfully
:D

its the OCD person in me. i just can't help myself - when i'm really bored i organize my organizing.

i'm so glad your jumping in. i think you'll be quicker at applique blocks then the people who machine applique but traditional piecing will go slower (unless you're a wiz at it).

kluedesigns 11-12-2009 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
Klue - is there any way to post a diagram, say the beginning of the week that we do the blocks, to show the placement of those blocks on the DJ quilt? That way, everyone can get an idea of where their blocks will be in the overall scheme. I need to learn how to use my DJ software better. If I do, perhaps I can be responsible to put that up??!!

i can do that.

do you want each weeks period only to reflect those blocks?

would you like me to post a YTD during each week off period?

BlueChicken 11-12-2009 11:19 AM

Yeah, I did it needleturn. It's a method I like the look of the finished product, and I'm good at it.

I cut the circle from cardboard, placed it on the fabric and roughly cut around with a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Then I tacked with lots of little stitches just inside the cut edge of the circle and pulled the ends so the seam allowance gathered over the cardboard. Then I turned it over (still holding the tacking thread tight) and ironed the snot out of it! :D Voila, perfect circles. A quick yank on one end of the tacking thread pulled it out, whip out the cardboard, and whack the lovely edged circle down on the fabric and sewed it on.

I did use fabric out of my scrap bin, so these blocks will be in the finished quilt.

BlueChicken 11-12-2009 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
Klue - is there any way to post a diagram, say the beginning of the week that we do the blocks, to show the placement of those blocks on the DJ quilt? That way, everyone can get an idea of where their blocks will be in the overall scheme. I need to learn how to use my DJ software better. If I do, perhaps I can be responsible to put that up??!!

i can do that.

do you want each weeks period only to reflect those blocks?

would you like me to post a YTD during each week off period?

Yes from me too!

Is there a layout plan with the number of each block available? I don't have a huge stash and I'm going to have to repeat some fabrics, so need to make sure they're not next to each other.

kluedesigns 11-12-2009 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
Yeah, I did it needleturn. It's a method I like the look of the finished product, and I'm good at it.

I cut the circle from cardboard, placed it on the fabric and roughly cut around with a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Then I tacked with lots of little stitches just inside the cut edge of the circle and pulled the ends so the seam allowance gathered over the cardboard. Then I turned it over (still holding the tacking thread tight) and ironed the snot out of it! :D Voila, perfect circles. A quick yank on one end of the tacking thread pulled it out, whip out the cardboard, and whack the lovely edged circle down on the fabric and sewed it on.

I did use fabric out of my scrap bin, so these blocks will be in the finished quilt.

it sounds like rhonda's method except she uses a straight top stitch on the circle to attach it to the fabric.

if you feel like it, make a tute.

i don't use this method but i'm sure others would love to.

the more tutes we have the better - there are tons of ways to make the same block and the more options we have to choose from the better.

BlueChicken 11-12-2009 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns

Originally Posted by BlueChicken

I'd feel very important making a tute! LOL

As I was trying to describe it I was thinking it would be much easier with pictures. I might take some today, I've seen it done before but this is the first time I've used that method and it was very easy.

it sounds like rhonda's method except she uses a straight top stitch on the circle to attach it to the fabric.

if you feel like it, make a tute.

i don't use this method but i'm sure others would love to.

the more tutes we have the better - there are tons of ways to make the same block and the more options we have to choose from the better.

user3587 11-12-2009 11:36 AM

I don't know anything about applique but I purchases a DVD and book a year or so ago and did a few things using Piece o'cake method. It worked great. It's a needleturn method. I have a long ways to go with applique.

kluedesigns 11-12-2009 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by okie
I don't know anything about applique but I purchases a DVD and book a year or so ago and did a few things using Piece o'cake method. It worked great. It's a needleturn method. I have a long ways to go with applique.

i don't know "piece o'cake" method. i'm always on the hunt for new methods. you'll have to take pics next time you do it so we can see how its done.

i do various methods but i'm a master of none.