Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   1 March 2012 BOM pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/1-march-2012-bom-pictures-t181146.html)

Anael 03-04-2012 06:34 AM

Deecee, I have no idea, I donīt know Carol Doakeīs Foundation Factory.

Tweety2911 03-04-2012 07:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished my block this morning. My mom's birthday was on St. Patty's day and this block has lots of special meaning to me!

Andii 03-04-2012 08:15 AM

Tweety2911, I love your shades of green batiks-beautiful. I also really like the batik background fabric. Did you change the edges of the shamrock? It seems to have more shape-anyway, it looks very nice.

Andii 03-04-2012 08:17 AM

pghpat, your wall hanging is so pretty! Is that what you are going to do with all of your BOM blocks? I think that's a very clever idea.

LindaC 03-04-2012 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Oksewnsew (Post 5029115)
I made my Shamrock block this evening, I like how it turned out. In case any of you are on the Mystery Train now, you'll see it posted there!! I just pulled it up and posted away!! Geesch.

Now I can concentrate on what April's block will be. Hmmmm, think SPRING?? ;o)

Jean

[ATTACH=CONFIG]317142[/ATTACH]

Jean
love your block, you had a great selection of shamrock fabrics and the green background really works

LindaC 03-04-2012 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety2911 (Post 5030058)
Finished my block this morning. My mom's birthday was on St. Patty's day and this block has lots of special meaning to me!

Helen, yet another idea to try, Batiks, turned out lovely

nickylsf 03-04-2012 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Deecee (Post 5029511)
Anael and Nicky - is the book different enough from Carol Doake's Foundation Factory to be worth buying as well? It retails at A$45.00 here (have seen it on special for A$38) so would be interested to hear your opinion before considering it.

It's been great seeing everyone's blocks so far - they are all fabulous.

Hi Deecee, the book has general instructions for newbies, and then cutting charts for each block. And of course beautiful photos. The cutting charts are nice, if you want to make the blocks the original size. In the book, the blocks are all 4" (or 8" if you put 4 of them together), and the alphabet blocks are 3".

Foundation Factory is software from Quiltpro.com, and there are different modules you can buy. Several of them are companions for Carol Doak's books. Each is around $20, but sometimes on sale for $14.95. You can download it instantly! With FF there are no instructions or cuttting charts, BUT you can print the block any size and the seam allowances are correct. With the book, I often enlarge or reduce the patterns with my printer/copier, but then I have to adjust the seam allowances, which also get enlarged or reduced.

So there are advantages to both. I hope this helps. Personally if I could only have one, I would choose the software.

I get all my quilting books from Amazon.com, and usually can find them in good used condition for a great price.

LindaC 03-04-2012 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by PghPat (Post 5029659)
I am enjoying the blocks of the month. I even had my handy guy (oh, he's so handy) make me a rack to hang the blocks every month.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]317160[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]317161[/ATTACH]

First time trying to attach photo since the format change...hope I'm doing it right.

love your block and what a great idea to make each months block into a mini calendar

nickylsf 03-04-2012 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Anael (Post 5029441)
Sulabug, I think the pattern Nicky used is from the book 365 Foundation Quilt Blocks from Linda Causee. I have the book, itīs great, never made a block but I love looking at it and need to find the courage to start one of them!

Anael, yes it is a great book! Be brave! They are not hard. You just have to add your own seam allowances, but that is good since it makes it easier to enlarge or reduce the size of the blocks!

lawsonmugs 03-04-2012 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by PghPat (Post 5029678)
OH MY GOSH.....I thought I was posting small pictures. On the camera with my Xoom it has picture sizes by pixels and I had no idea how many pixels would be equal to 640 x 480...the recommended size. The default is 5 pixels and I choose 3....too BIG.

Beautiful work done by both you and hubby.I love the big pictures,at my age I can see better. Thanks Mary