Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   #10 mystery quilt train ride - more scraps!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/10-mystery-quilt-train-ride-more-scraps-t263249.html)

Belfrybat 03-28-2015 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy (Post 7144277)
RJ, congrats - get out of that old comfort zone! White with the brights will be stunning! Make sure to post your pix on the last mystery -- I love to go back and see what has been added to that thread.

Belfry, jaba, bluebonnet and Emma, welcome back.

I also had an idea of using 4 blocks the same to make a table runner. Won't be scrappy, but might try it after finishing some charity half-done tops that I want to get done this weekend.

I was wondering about something similar, but using about 6 - 7 different fabrics in the same colourway for the 4 blocks. I seem to have ended up with lots of green scraps.

Beachbound 03-28-2015 07:28 AM

Thanks for another fun challenge! Part of my challenge to myself is to only make a table runner....we'll see how THAT goes :D

Emma S 03-28-2015 07:39 AM

Belfry: I am limiting myself to blues and greens although there are splashes of other colors in many of my scraps. My scraps in those colors take up five wire baskets, not even mentioning the under one yard cuts that are in my stash. Don't know how it is going to work out but am encouraged by the fact that Judy is thinking of using the same ones in a table runner. Regardless, always fun.
I am going to hold off deciding on the background fabric. Thing of a pastel green or blue. But want to make sure something more neutral wouldn't work better. Judy, do you have any advise?

Bluebonnets 03-28-2015 07:42 AM

I am going for a large scrappy but I am also thinking about a table runner with the blues. I've been needing one.

Bluebonnets 03-28-2015 07:47 AM

Glad you're with us, RJ. Looking forward to seeing your brights quilt. 😄

lynnie 03-28-2015 08:18 AM

on the colors. does the 4 1/2" square need to be darkest, what about the strips, darker or lighter. still a bit confused here.thanks

paintmejudy 03-28-2015 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat (Post 7144283)
Question: Can the 20" strips be spliced to reach that length? I have a lot of 12- 18" lengths in the 4-1/2" wide but very little 20" lengths. I hate to think I'll have to cut up FQs to get the 20" lengths, and end up adding to my scrap totes.

Belfry and others wondering -- I gave 20" to allow for squaring up the ends, but you could use as small as 5" pieces. Your 12-18" pieces will be fine. Don't splice them until next week, so you will see what is going to be done with them.

Belfrybat 03-28-2015 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7144393)
on the colors. does the 4 1/2" square need to be darkest, what about the strips, darker or lighter. still a bit confused here.thanks

Here's a quote from Judy's instructions which seems to say they can by mixed up any way we want them. I missed this the first time reading through as well.

If you look at my red pile, it can be used in different configurations -- perhaps the darkest color will be a 4-1/2” square for Color A with the other 2 colors for B and C, and another block could be made with the medium or the light as the 4-1/2” square.

paintmejudy 03-28-2015 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7144393)

Sorry, thought I made it clear when I made the first posting -- mix it up anyway you want. The color A 4-1/2" square can be light, medium or dark, and you can mix up the B and C any way you want.

edit - oops, missed Belfry's post, thanks Belfry.

paintmejudy 03-28-2015 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Beachbound (Post 7144291)
Thanks for another fun challenge! Part of my challenge to myself is to only make a table runner....we'll see how THAT goes :D

Beachbound, good luck! I keep going back to this pattern, I figured it out a while ago and love it. The table runner will be my first runner, but probably not my last.:D