Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/2012-2013-dear-jane-stickle-2d-cyber-party-pictures-discussion-t175669.html)

fromzstore 01-17-2014 07:27 AM

Has anyone done quilt as you go method on the dear jane quilt i think i am going to try that i think i can do more intricate stitching if the quilt sandwich is not so large just have questions on the best way to join the blocks and border i think i will do 3 across and 3 down and make a sandwich and the last rows will be 4 and 4 any suggestions on the best way to join these sandwiches and borders .

Cre8tvlwyr 01-17-2014 04:11 PM

try to answer all questions here.... I know there were several ladies that tried the QAYG [quilt as you go] method for Jane the first time around [2010 group] and I believe Lacelady was one of them and has a little tutorial I will share when I find it. There was someone else that did it in 3x3 block sections with a few 4x3 sections [dont know if it was Linda Franz QNS ....sorry .... I've never used it/her myself - and will not necessarily recommend as I've had no experience with her and yours doesn't sound pleasant :( ] I simply pass on some tips others have used.

more repro fabrics cn be picked up as layer cakes, charms, etc from quilts123.com, reproductionfabrics.com and ebay as well as many LQSs [you dont need much of a single fabric for this one!]

QNS - you dont need inklingo - for the scallops there are also scallop rulers with instructions to adjust for specific widths. between the book, software, and all of us :) you will have a the help you need!

as for hand piecing - I have hand pieced a few, hand appliqued all applique blocks/tris, and have found at times the hand piecing is faster than the machine piecing and often more precise for the tricky pieces [believe it or not! because taking very few stitches by machine can be frustrating] I have advised people who find themselves reverse sewing a block repeatedly to pick up a needle and thread - much easier to ease and match seams. There are two groups of quilters I am friends with who are now making Janes entirely by hand - 4 ladies in one group and 8 in another. They are moving along.
Gus

Cre8tvlwyr 01-17-2014 04:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I did finally make another block from one of our schedules last weeks.... L-9
I re-drafted the pattern first - which I indicated a few days ago. I copied the book picture at 258% [which translates to 4 1/2" finished] and measured the individual parts then redrew on 4 square/inch graph paper.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]457108[/ATTACH]those center rectangles not squares in the original measured - 1 1/2x 1 3/8 for the center, 2 background rect of 1 3/8 x 1 1/8 and 2 rect 1 1/2 x 1 1/8. For the setting triangles in between the outer rectangles I wanted a straight edge on the outside so I cut a 3" square diagonally twice giving me those 4 triangles. For the corner triangles in that center piece, I cut two 2" print squares once diagonally out of the print. I had to trim all of this once I had put it together [using the 'row' method... triangle rectangle triangle.... rectangle-center rect-rectangle... tri-rect-tri and then joined the three rows before adding the corners.

Trim the center square so the points of the rectangles are 1/4" from the side and the straight side of the rectangle has a 3/4" border of print. Trim the outer triangle strips so the white point is 1/4" from straight edge
[ATTACH=CONFIG]457112[/ATTACH]For that outer row, I cut one background and two print 3" squares diagonally twice so the straight edges would be on the sides of the block and sewed them together and then added them to the block making sure my point tips were in a line. You will need to trim this down [I had to cut them twice because they were too small the first time!] For the final corners I cut two background 2 1/2" squares diagonally once.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]457114[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]457115[/ATTACH]enjoy!! [down to 6 squares :) YAY....plus tris...kites]
Gus

giquilt 01-18-2014 06:16 PM

[QUOTE=Cre8tvlwyr;6518626] great block.

bsktkeeper 01-20-2014 09:33 PM

help with Dear Jane

Originally Posted by DottyD (Post 6512079)
This link might help you.
I have no affiliation to Anina - who wrote all this blog - but I used her wonderful instructions a lot !

http://thatquilt.blogspot.co.uk/2011_01_01_archive.html

Dot in England, UK

Above blog spot made it sooooo much easier to understand the assembly of blocks etc.

DottyD 01-21-2014 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by bsktkeeper (Post 6524823)
Above blog spot made it sooooo much easier to understand the assembly of blocks etc.

Hi, so glad the link has been of some help to you !!
On a crisp sunny morning in England, UK.

GV09 01-21-2014 02:25 PM

Hello Ladies!
Gus ... nice block! And thank you for your great instructions!
Judy ... very beautiful blocks!
I hope that when you start the new thread I have there to go ahead!
A hug!

GV09 01-21-2014 02:32 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Hello to all!
I continue with my regimen of four blocks for the time, but not all in one week.
Now that I'm going to dressmaking classes, I must qualify both hobbies works! And something is lost along the way!
I show them my new 4 blocks, it would be my 34 Week.
Are G-13, RS-2, RS-3 and RS-4. Also a view all together, all my blocks and all my triangles!
I hope they will be of your liking!
Have all a beautiful week!
A big hug!

ann clare 01-21-2014 04:48 PM

Gladys your work is stunning. Love your colors. Thanks for sharing.

Anael 01-22-2014 12:08 AM

Oh Gladys, so beautiful ! ! I admire your applique skills! Good luck on your dressmaking journey :)