Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/50-fab-paper-pieced-stars-t171784.html)

PokerDiva 09-22-2012 12:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Geez, it didn't want to upload my pics but finally got it. Got my SMALL design wall up. Only place I had to put it is in the guest room. Had to take a quilt down to put it up. They are in order of how they were done not how I will sew them together. Any ideas for sashing? I was thinking deep purple but can't find the right one. Next thinking navy. Any suggestions?

nickylsf 09-22-2012 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by PokerDiva (Post 5533263)
Geez, it didn't want to upload my pics but finally got it. Got my SMALL design wall up. Only place I had to put it is in the guest room. Had to take a quilt down to put it up. They are in order of how they were done not how I will sew them together. Any ideas for sashing? I was thinking deep purple but can't find the right one. Next thinking navy. Any suggestions?

Florence, they look great! I would pick a color from the focus fabric, if you want sashing at all. I have seen many of these without sashing, especially when your backgrounds read mostly as solids. Unless you need the sashing for adding to the size.

ckcowl 09-23-2012 03:31 AM

oh i love your (quilt!) Florence-
do you feel you need sashing? if it's necessary i would probably go with the navy- just because the (right purple) can be so difficult to get to play well with everyone else.
maybe even a white on white?...that would float everything. depends on your reason for sashing and how wide you plan to make it- navy would give distinct separation- white would float the stars with out as much distinct separation- i would lay out a few candidates & blocks, step back & see what i like best...looking good !
i need to get off the computer- go make breakfast- & get into my sewing room to make today's block!

ckcowl 09-23-2012 03:37 AM

mona lisa, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your Rhode Island block! now i really need to get off here, make breakfast & get to my sewing room to make mine!
and about my star fabric - getting lost in Pennslyvania---i have used it in a number of my blocks now & when they are hanging all together it really does not (disappear) as much as the picture may make it seem-
it is (subtle) but it stands up at the same time- i think when i get it all together all of you will see it better :)

PokerDiva 09-23-2012 04:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Colleen and Nicky, thanks for the help with the sashing. I was really only going to use sashing because I was afraid of the bulk in the seams putting the blocks together. Maybe I should put a few together just to see how bad it would be. Colleen, I love your starry fabric in your blocks. I am glad that it shows better in person. I know pics can sometimes not show the same as in person. I think you quilt will be beautiful.

Anyway here is my #39 Rhode Island.

ckcowl 09-23-2012 08:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
so, why is it- when i make a block that i feel i really did a poor job choosing fabric for- the points all come out perfect?
i am pretty disappointed with my choices this week- but boy-that center could not be more perfect! figures...
and when i showed it to hubby he actually (YUKKED) it! then proceeded to tell me what i *should have* done-
i'm starting to think i should just get him to choose the fabrics each week---
anyway- here it is Rhode Island-- i may re-make it sometime down the road- or i may accept it--only time will tell- it actually doesn't look so bad hanging with the rest of them...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]364893[/ATTACH]

PokerDiva 09-23-2012 08:45 AM

Colleen, I love those fabrics. And tell your DH he is not the quilt police. I think those colors go wonderfully together and just pop but what the heck do I know.

whitepine 09-23-2012 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice!! PokerDiva. I like those blues. Boy, it's quiet this morning. Here's another Rhode Island.[ATTACH=CONFIG]364944[/ATTACH]

And a song for Rhode Island, of course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWmVTbWHgFc

whitepine 09-23-2012 09:25 AM

CK, I love those two outter fabrics together. I'm not wild about the paisley but that's just me. I sure wouldn't do it over, leave perfect alone. : )

hooked 09-23-2012 10:15 AM

I need help. I was hoping someone could help me figure out placement of my quilt. I have all my star blocks finished and ready to put together. They are 8 finished each and I plan on using 2 inch sashing between the blocks 2 inch cornerstones (hope this is the correct terms). I want to make a king size and put the blocks on point. Can anyone tell me how to place the blocks correctly. Hope this makes sense and I hope someone can help me. Thanks.