Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/50-fab-paper-pieced-stars-t171784.html)

paintmejudy 01-24-2012 06:44 AM

I, too, do all 8 pieces at a time but don't chain stitch. Just as easy to clip that little thread as I go along, and don't have that long stretch of chains running down the back of the machine. But I do agree with Janet My, it goes much faster when you do all 8 at a time.

sue z q 01-24-2012 06:53 AM

I appreciate all the answers to my question. I think I'll cut by the book, but maybe round up to the nearest inch. On my first attempt (Alabama) I thought mine were a little scant. Where are my blocks you ask....oh, I'm behind. None completed so far.

moonwork42029 01-24-2012 06:56 AM

I do the first section alone so I can see if I like how the colors line up then I do the remaining ones as an assembly line. Sometimes I chain, sometimes I clip in between, all depends on my mood at the time.

My iron is across the room as my one attempt at "exercise"...at least I have to rotate out of my chair, get up, walk 6 steps and then come back. It also helps me from getting stiff from sitting too long in one place.

DawnFurlong 01-24-2012 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by whitepine (Post 4904401)
Dawn, Hope your class was fun. Be sure and tell us about any wonderful tips you learned.

Indeed, I did enjoy my class! Still feeling a bit anxious, but am looking forward to jumping in. Went home last night and pulled out my stash of fabric. That was one reason for the class - I was hoping to use up some of the fabric I already have. I think I have a pretty good selection, I shouldn't have to purchase much new (darn it all! - but - gotta keep thinking of my new sewing machine :) ).

I am going by an office supply store today to get them to "de-bind" my book and 3 hole punch it. Then I will make copies of my first star (using vellum - but only because I can see through it. Several of the ladies in this club indicated vellum wasn't their favorite - and gave their preferences. But they said it does have the advantage of being see through. I'll start there.). Delaware is the first star we are doing.

I do have a question though. I was a bit confused about the 1/4" seam. I know I have to add 1/4" to my paper pattern. But on page 16 of the book, Step 12, it says "trim the foundation 1/4" from the outside as follows:" It looks like she is saying to cut off the 1/4" that I added to my paper pattern??? And yet on page 17, when it shows completing the block - it looks the the 1/4" line is still there. Can someone shed some light on this for me? I will be doing 12" blocks.

I plan on starting my first block tonight!! :o

sandy l 01-24-2012 09:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's my Arkansas block. Wasn't sure about it after I got started, but now that its done I like it.[ATTACH=CONFIG]305840[/ATTACH]

moonwork42029 01-24-2012 10:27 AM

Dawn: go to message # 112 in this thread and you'll see an example of adding the 1/4" to the pattern.

I think the wording is funky about the 1/4" (don't have my book with me right now) but you have to have the 1/4" on them for them to work out to be 12". I think she is making sure it's 1/4" from the outside line that she has drawn in the book...not to cut off the 1/4" inch.

Good luck and I'm sure someone else can help you too.

Love the red on the star...it really pops out.

Fraew 01-24-2012 11:01 AM

OMG Sandy I! That is beautiful. :thumbup:

DawnFurlong 01-24-2012 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029 (Post 4906228)
Dawn: go to message # 112 in this thread and you'll see an example of adding the 1/4" to the pattern.

Found it! Thanks for the reference. As I was looking at the illustration, I thought - DUH!!! Easier to draw the 1/4" once around the patterns before copying them (as opposed to multiple times).

I was thinking the same - that surely it wasn't meant that I cut off that 1/4", because it was stressed in class that the 1/4" was needed for the blocks to come out to size.

Deecee 01-24-2012 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi ladies. I have been following this thread with interest and love all the blocks so far. I don't have the book but I did get the download from Quilt-Pro (thanks for the link to that - sorry I don't remember who gave it). So if you don't mind another late starter I will jump in and try to catch up.

Here is my Alabama - I have done this as a 6" finished which was pretty fiddly but I shall see how I go at this size.[ATTACH=CONFIG]305905[/ATTACH]

paintmejudy 01-24-2012 12:12 PM

welcome, and your star is beautiful.

Originally Posted by Deecee (Post 4906554)
Hi ladies. I have been following this thread with interest and love all the blocks so far. I don't have the book but I did get the download from Quilt-Pro (thanks for the link to that - sorry I don't remember who gave it). So if you don't mind another late starter I will jump in and try to catch up.

Here is my Alabama - I have done this as a 6" finished which was pretty fiddly but I shall see how I go at this size.[ATTACH=CONFIG]305905[/ATTACH]