Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   #8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/8-mystery-quilt-train-ride-its-scrap-alicious-t259478.html)

lynnie 01-24-2015 01:20 PM

cat, what if you rotate the blocks. that's what I did.

Klaws once it's all together, it will look beautiful. scrap quilts
have that way about them. then again, you could always donate.
I like to have one or two on hand ...just incase.

cat-on-a-mac 01-24-2015 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7062053)
cat, what if you rotate the blocks. that's what I did.

I pressed my four-patches in the "whirly" method... where all seams are clockwise, and you get a nice flat little fourpatch on the inside where they intersect. So it's the same no matter which way you rotate it.

Belfrybat 01-24-2015 02:31 PM

I like quilts that have a square in a square in a square. I think this will be another favourite.

I've been saving my medium brights. Is this the time to use them or should I keep them for next week's step?

tron80 01-24-2015 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by cat-on-a-mac (Post 7062071)
I pressed my four-patches in the "whirly" method... where all seams are clockwise, and you get a nice flat little fourpatch on the inside where they intersect. So it's the same no matter which way you rotate it.

The same with mine, but I think the size problem is because i'd used 4" squares to do triangles. Trimming is the key I hope!

mom-6 01-24-2015 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by cat-on-a-mac (Post 7062039)
I've hit a couple of snags ... just wondering if anyone else has had these problems.

2) after sewing these together, my blocks are coming out closer to 8 3/4 . I'm going to trim them to 8 5/8. Hope I don't lose too many points. Are these seams all pressed to the outside?

The answer is YES! Because I cut everything a bit big and forgot to trim down. I'm just going to let mine be bigger (right at 9") and I'm thinking my block will end up closer to 13" and I will just have to adjust the next step to accommodate the larger block. Nothing I haven't had to do before...

Edited to add: I would rather my block be larger than to lose all my points.

quilt addict 01-24-2015 03:06 PM

Judy, my 4 patch with triangles are ending up at 9". Will that be a problem. Will the 7 1/2" squares still work? Not sure what I did differently but mine are coming out that size and I did follow the instructions and trimmed to the proper size.

love to sew 01-24-2015 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6 (Post 7062174)
The answer is YES! Because I cut everything a bit big and forgot to trim down. I'm just going to let mine be bigger (right at 9") and I'm thinking my block will end up closer to 13" and I will just have to adjust the next step to accommodate the larger block. Nothing I haven't had to do before...

Edited to add: I would rather my block be larger than to lose all my points.

I'm having the same problem. I'm closer to 8 3/4- almost 9. What was the size of the triangles supposed to end up at? I used the 3 7/8 square. I measured by 1/4 in. seams and they look good to me. I did one and want to know if I need to trim something before adding the rest of the triangles.

lynnie 01-24-2015 03:50 PM

oh oh I got a problem, i'm coming in at 9 -to 9 3/4" whoops, what did I do wrong,. i'm in trouble!!!

mom-6 01-24-2015 04:12 PM

FYI - using the 7-1/2" squares for the large triangles worked nicely on my 9" block, resulting in an almost perfect 13" square. (As perfect as I ever get. Lol!)

jillmc 01-24-2015 04:15 PM

My 4patches and triangles are also 9"square............