Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   #8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/8-mystery-quilt-train-ride-its-scrap-alicious-t259478.html)

paintmejudy 01-24-2015 04:16 PM

8-3/4" will be okay. on't trim your points. It will all be fine after you put on the big triangels and trim to 8-1/2"

Originally Posted by cat-on-a-mac (Post 7062039)
I've hit a couple of snags ... just wondering if anyone else has had these problems:

1) my seems are pressed exactly wrong for matching the step 2 triangles to the step 1 four-patches. I will have to re-press the triangles to the lightest side, to get them to nest with my four-patches. Would it have been better to just press all seams open?

2) after sewing these together, my blocks are coming out closer to 8 3/4 . I'm going to trim them to 8 5/8. Hope I don't lose too many points. Are these seams all pressed to the outside?

paintmejudy 01-24-2015 04:19 PM

Did you mean up to 9-3/4" after putting on the small triangles? And they should all be the same size, not vary like yours do. Don't know what to tell you, don't have a clue why so big. Sorry. If you cut it down you will lose the points. Try doing this to one of your blocks - After putting on the large triangles, see if you can trim to 12-1/2" square and see how it looks.

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7062258)
oh oh I got a problem, i'm coming in at 9 -to 9 3/4" whoops, what did I do wrong,. i'm in trouble!!!

Sadiemae 01-24-2015 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by cat-on-a-mac (Post 7062039)
I've hit a couple of snags ... just wondering if anyone else has had these problems:

1) my seems are pressed exactly wrong for matching the step 2 triangles to the step 1 four-patches. I will have to re-press the triangles to the lightest side, to get them to nest with my four-patches. Would it have been better to just press all seams open?

2) after sewing these together, my blocks are coming out closer to 8 3/4 . I'm going to trim them to 8 5/8. Hope I don't lose too many points. Are these seams all pressed to the outside?

;)I am glad I didn't have all of mine finished because I also have to repress the triangles that I have finished. Oh well, live and learn...

cat-on-a-mac 01-24-2015 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy (Post 7062282)
8-3/4" will be okay. on't trim your points. It will all be fine after you put on the big triangels and trim to 8-1/2"

I hope you meant 12 1/2"? Yes, I came to the same conclusion. I decided to square up to 8 3/4. Then use 7 1/2 inch blocks to do the outer triangles. That's generous, with quite a bit to trim off, but I'd rather have that than be too small. BUT, I end up with more than 1/4 inch beyond the points of the last square-in-square ... I guess that's not critical?

jillmc 01-24-2015 04:44 PM

My 9" blocks measured 13" after adding the last triangles....easily cut down to 12 1/2" without losing any points! :)

MamaHen 01-24-2015 04:47 PM

Mine are coming in at 8 7/8", and I think my squares I will need to cut will be 6 3/4 x 6 3/4" to fit my 4 patch/triangle block. I used a piece of paper to cut & size for my square, cut on diagonal, It seems to fit, so did this before I start cutting any fabric. I hope it will work, but think it will.

whitepine 01-24-2015 05:13 PM

Well, the secret may be out of the bag for some, but it's still a mystery to me. :) :) Sew, sew, sew.

Sadiemae 01-24-2015 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by whitepine (Post 7062341)
Well, the secret may be out of the bag for some, but it's still a mystery to me. :) :) Sew, sew, sew.

Me too, I have no idea how 2 1/2" strip pieces will come in to this mystery...:D

love to sew 01-24-2015 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by MamaHen (Post 7062317)
Mine are coming in at 8 7/8", and I think my squares I will need to cut will be 6 3/4 x 6 3/4" to fit my 4 patch/triangle block. I used a piece of paper to cut & size for my square, cut on diagonal, It seems to fit, so did this before I start cutting any fabric. I hope it will work, but think it will.

I'm so glad someone else is coming in at 8 7/8". That is what mine are coming in at.

dotcomdtcm 01-24-2015 07:33 PM

Well ladies, I was so busy choosing, cutting & sewing, I had little interest in the kitchen. But my son is here for the weekend, and I like to send him out with food! Bisquick Impossible pies to the rescue! Some veggie/cheese, and a coconut one. I made an extra for the Club car! (Low WW points!)