Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/affairs-heart-cyber-sew-2011-a-t95413.html)

SewExtremeSeams 02-02-2011 09:14 AM

Certainly, Elle, I am Linda! I agree completely that it helps to see others' color ways.

I just learned that of the 4 items I ordered from Amazon, the 3 I didn't need are on their way and the ONE book I wanted will be here in mid February. Guess which one that is? Well, I must admit that I have a few swaps I need to get done by the end of February anyway, so I will be busy.

Thinking and actually working outside of the box is how I learn so thanks Leslie and everyone else, encouragement helps and there seems to be a great wealth of it here. :-D

sunrise450 02-02-2011 10:00 AM

I have had second thoughts about using a black background. It's true, black is very hard to see when sewing. I wonder if a black on black or a navy would work just as well.
I have had another thought. I am super slow and since I am 74, I don't see me picking up speed! My book will be here in a couple of days and when it gets here and I have done enough drooling, I think I will start cutting and set up the blocks in little kits. I have other things that I can do in order to practice my applique.
I have done applique before, it's been around 10-12 years. Hopefully it is like riding a bike, it will all come back!
I am so happy this thread has started, I love the fabric that has been shown, it is all so beautiful!
Phyllis

Lacelady 02-02-2011 10:41 AM

Phyllis, I thought the black might be hard to work with, but I have discovered that I'm not having a problem at all, because it is the applique pieces that you have to look at. If you were machining round with satin stitch, for instance, you would be watching the edge of the applique fabric, not the black.
If you are needleturning, same thing, the tiny stitches you will be taking are all in the coloured fabric, and the black sort of takes care of itself.

If you are in any doubt, try a small sample - just a 1in square on a 3in square of black would be enough for you to understand what I am trying to get at.

QuiltswithConvicts 02-02-2011 11:04 AM

I'm a winter - black & white, jewel tones & anything with a "blued" hue, even yellow before it goes over to green.

luvmortherest 02-02-2011 11:16 AM

i don't know what season i am but i do know that i can not put certain colors anywhere near my face. i don't look good in reds, yellows or greens. my Mom told me to wear berrys, blues or some pinks.

luvmortherest 02-02-2011 11:17 AM

i am trying to do this quilt as a stash buster. DH is helping me pick uot fabrics from my stash for this quilt.

firequilt 02-02-2011 11:19 AM

OK Ladies. I am sooooo excited You have me hooked. I ordered the book this AM and am still deciding how I will do it. Machine or applique.
question--- is that embroidery around the hearts and are instructions for it in the book.
firequilt

luvmortherest 02-02-2011 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by firequilt
OK Ladies. I am sooooo excited You have me hooked. I ordered the book this AM and am still deciding how I will do it. Machine or applique.
question--- is that embroidery around the hearts and are instructions for it in the book.
firequilt

yes to both, the embroidery instructions are in the book.

welcome to this wonderful group.

Carsey 02-02-2011 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
On the question of whether to embroider or not, take a look at these two pics of the first block on the schedule, and then you might be able to decided for yourself.

Leslie: Did you do the embroider on the machine or by hand?? What kind of thread did you use??? Your block is beautiful!!

gaigai 02-02-2011 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by luvmortherest
i don't know what season i am but i do know that i can not put certain colors anywhere near my face. i don't look good in reds, yellows or greens. my Mom told me to wear berrys, blues or some pinks.

I had my colors done too, and yes, it was about 30 years ago. 80% of people are Winters/Summers. I am an Autumn/Spring (There is usually some cross-over). But I am doing my AOTH in black.

My LQS owner doesn't like Kona black, she carries Maywood Studios black. It is a double-dyed, true Amish black that doesn't run or bleed, and it feels SO good! It is really beautiful, and I recommend you try it. See if your LQS will order some for you.